Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Less for more with XM Plans

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  jimmie jam 
#1 ·
Has anyone noticed that we are losing channels - significant numbers - on the various plans - Select, Mostly Music, Mostly Talk? Now with IHeart Radio and other services, we are losing some channels to these networks. Unfortunately for me and my wife, we tend to hone in on a particular favorite and it's been the one moved off XM to these new clear channel AM stations or to Online Only, thus incurring additional fees. I assume with IHEART - its free - but it will use your carrier's DATA to accumulate and track usage and costs. I havent checked but there must be DATA charges involved. Unusual way to logoff IHEART - with IOS7 you have to double pump the home button or whatever its called and scroll to the app you want closed and swipe it up and off. Else radio keeps on running. No logoff or close will stop the beast.

#3 ·
I'm sick of XM and the run-arounds they pull. I have had them for many years with many different cars, yet I cannot get a person who knows anything on the phone. I am trying to convert my trial subscription to my regular account. I have contacted them four times -- online and over the phone -- yet they can't seem to get it done. I still get panic emails from them saying my subscription will lapse of I don't convert the trial in the next day or so. Excuse me, I thought I did that a month ago. GRRR... I have several radios on my account which I no longer use, but they can't seem to delete those, either!

If there was something else I could use which had my stations (and didn't require extra equipment), I would jump in a heart beat.

#4 ·
Another issue with XM just noticed - I pay for Internet Radio tied to my cars radio subscription for Mostly Music plan and because I am paying less for the MM plan I get fewer Internet Radio stations - like no Pink Floyd, etc. So for the going rate of $3.50 a month the number of channels available varies greatly. If you want the full Internet Radio lineup you need to have the Select or similar expensive plans.

#5 ·
Now I can safely tell you my XM story. I bought my 2012 coupe used in March 2012. XM was working and I figured it would go off after a couple weeks, maybe months. I never called to do anything about it and I was able to keep it going until Aug. 2013. Luckily, my wife has XM in her car, and she got the typical mailer advertising 6 months for $25. I took it and will be sure to cancel before the time is up, and then stupidly call them back after a couple weeks so that they give me the same or near same deal. It is ridiculous that they make you do that dance, but before my CTS, I've been able to finagle something with them since 2005.

I'll deal with the pricing issue next year, but my biggest loss after all that time was that I had channel 88, NFL network, before my luck ran out, and now I really miss it this time of the year.

#7 ·
I called to vent about how paying full fee for Internet Radio at $3.50 a month, I only got minimal channels because of Mostly Music plan. Not fair practices. Charge for something and provide it. Same service for all. Chat person not responsive. Had me call number to cancel a radio that I was shutting off because desired channel was leaving IR. Because I was cancelling radio in use for less than a year they wanted to charge $75 fee. I balked at that so she came back with a special $86 fee for Select plan on radio using IR so I would get all stations and I took it. She then waived the $75 fee. Happy for now but I cannot continue long given their unprofessional business practices. I told the too that renewing 3 radios all at the same time - which they like to setup so all radios expire at the same time - is mightily expensive and thats what was triggering my actions and annoyance with Internet Radio.
Its a shame as XM is a fairly good service and enhancements to IR have been appealing. But they need to re-examine their fee structure and constant attempts to plant unfair fees and penalties.

#8 ·
I have been a XM subscriber for more than 10 years. I currently have 3 vehicles with it active. I only listed to 8-10 stations consistantly with 4 of those strictly music. For what I pay, i'm happy with the linup that's available.Hell, I remember when you could listed to entertainment cable TV stations i.e. MTV, etc. on XM. Things always change....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.