TPMS Question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, TPMS Question in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Just a quick question. Because Canada winters are so fantastic i will be switching to winter tires fairly soon. Now ...
    Srsbisns is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS 3.6 DI AWD

TPMS Question

Just a quick question. Because Canada winters are so fantastic i will be switching to winter tires fairly soon. Now the tire place i go to is trying to tell me they can adjust the snow tires so it works with my tpms for 200 bucks From reading this: http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/tpm/index.html my understanding is at first the tpms system will say that i have 0 tire pressure and display a warning but once i get home and stick the stock tires with the tpms sensors in them in my basement and start driving the car normal the system will deactivate all together until i swap back to my regular stock rims. Am i understanding this correctly? or am i just going to have to deal with the tpms warning all winter?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Mistercoffee2 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: TPMS Question

Quote Originally Posted by Srsbisns View Post
    Just a quick question. Because Canada winters are so fantastic i will be switching to winter tires fairly soon. Now the tire place i go to is trying to tell me they can adjust the snow tires so it works with my tpms for 200 bucks From reading this: http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/tpm/index.html my understanding is at first the tpms system will say that i have 0 tire pressure and display a warning but once i get home and stick the stock tires with the tpms sensors in them in my basement and start driving the car normal the system will deactivate all together until i swap back to my regular stock rims. Am i understanding this correctly? or am i just going to have to deal with the tpms warning all winter?
    The TPMS sensor is mounted to the inside of the wheel by the valve stem. Changing tires should not effect TPMS function. Unless your tire place removes or damages them. Fine another tire place.

99flhr is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS

I assume the OP is purchasing a wheel AND tire package

Quote Originally Posted by Mistercoffee2 View Post
    The TPMS sensor is mounted to the inside of the wheel by the valve stem. Changing tires should not effect TPMS function. Unless your tire place removes or damages them. Fine another tire place.
    Yes i understand how the system works to that degree. My understanding is that my stock rims have the sensor inside which the receiver in the car uses to determine the pressure. My question is if i take off the stock rim and tires with the sensors still inside and put them in my basement then when i switch to winter tires with just the standard black steelie rims with no sensor inside my sensor light in my car will go off and i wont be able to go into competitive mode or change traction settings for getting out of deeper snow etc since the receiver in the car will not get a signal from the sensors which will be in my basement. Now based on the article i previously referenced from my understanding once the sensor and receiver are out of far enough range of eachother the system will disable and i won't have to worry about the tpms warning coming up on my dash and can then switch my modes like previously before. I'm just trying to determine if i understood that article correctly so i don't have to waste more money getting another set of sensors for my winter tires or just deal with the warning on my dash all winter.

The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

The TPMS has saved me from damaging tires on my CTS on two occasions that I got a puncture and again when one developed a slow leak. If they're not terribly expensive, I'd suggest that you get a set for your winter tires and rims. Of course, if you prefer to change a flat in a blizzard...

Quote Originally Posted by 99flhr View Post
    I assume the OP is purchasing a wheel AND tire package
    Living in Texas, I would never have guessed that from OP.

hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Sportwagon 18.2city 28hwy 25hwy AC on

Tpms valves are $40 each on Amazon

Quote Originally Posted by The_Judge View Post
    The TPMS has saved me from damaging tires on my CTS on two occasions that I got a puncture and again when one developed a slow leak. If they're not terribly expensive, I'd suggest that you get a set for your winter tires and rims. Of course, if you prefer to change a flat in a blizzard...
    At <$50 each, maybe that is the $200 the OP referred to.

As to the TPMS disabling, I can only say that with one missing sensor it continue to set a code. Not sure if all sensors are missing. No mention of this happening in the Service Manual.

The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

GM ACDelco OEM TPMS units are only $30 each on Amazon, free shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-135863...2138495&sr=1-1

Quote Originally Posted by The_Judge View Post
    GM ACDelco OEM TPMS units are only $30 each on Amazon, free shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-135863...2138495&sr=1-1
    I appreciate all the reply's and concern for my winter safety but still looking for the answer to my original inquiry based on the link i provided in the original post. I wish i could take advantage of amazon.com savings but once it gets past the Canadian boarder i get destroyed by taxes and it would even out to going to the dealership unfortunately. I'm not too terribly worried about having the tp sensors since this is the first car i have owned that has even had them and i have had no issues in the past (knock on wood), my main concern is the tpms warning and having to deal with it. Once again thank you all for the replies so far.

99flhr is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

I have non GM car with winter tires with no sensors, if I move the summer tires "out of range" (basement) the warning light stays on all winter.

If I store the summer wheels near the car, ( garage) the light stays off for trips of 30 min or less.

Could you share the interchange # for steelies that fit CTS ?

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by 99flhr View Post

Could you share the interchange # for steelies that fit CTS ?

Thank you
    My stock rims are 18"s but for winter i'm dropping down to 17" the steelie interchange # is X43754 and the tire size i will be running is 235/55/17
    99flhr likes this.

hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Sportwagon 18.2city 28hwy 25hwy AC on

Do you pick the tire size and aspect ratio to get the same OD, or can you correct the speedometer for another OD?

Quote Originally Posted by hauler View Post
    Do you pick the tire size and aspect ratio to get the same OD, or can you correct the speedometer for another OD?
    You can get the speedo corrected through the dealer depending on how off it is based on the new tire.

i use this site to determine how much my speedo reading will be off by http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html and just account for it myself. In this case my speedo will be showing 60mph but i will really be going 59.8mph which isn't that significant of a difference to require me to go to the dealer to correct, especially since i will be swapping back to the 18"s once winter passes.

Only reason i chose to go down to 17"s for winter tires is because 18" snow tires cost an arm and a leg in comparison.

My tire size on my 18"s is 235/50/17

Citabria is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Judge
    GM ACDelco OEM TPMS units are only $30 each on Amazon, free shipping: http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-135863...2138495&sr=1-1
    Thanks Judge,

Saved me a bunch of money, just ordered a set of 4!

Greg

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.