Stabilitrack, ABS, BRAKE warning lights on, minimal power steering, no nav ...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Stabilitrack, ABS, BRAKE warning lights on, minimal power steering, no nav ... in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; First time asking for help here, so I'll try to give as much info as possible, thanks in advance for ...
    tenacious84 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS

Stabilitrack, ABS, BRAKE warning lights on, minimal power steering, no nav ...

First time asking for help here, so I'll try to give as much info as possible, thanks in advance for any you are able to provide.

End of July I purchased a 2008 CTS 3.6 DI Hi-Feature with manual transmission and 75,000 miles on it. Previous owner had 5 year/100,000 miles extended premium warranty which ended the end of September. The day I was going to take it in to have final warranty work done (memory seat module), I accidentally left the key on at lunch and when I went to leave work, the battery was dead. I had a co-worker jump-start me and I drove to the dealership as planned. While on the way to the dealer, the car was underpowered, had minimal power steering, and multiple warning lights on the dash. Anyways, got to the dealer, told the service manager about it and he said they'd look into it. When I picked it up two days later, they had replaced the memory seat module, charged the battery overnight, and tried clearing the codes, but all I ended up getting was a $160 bill for them to troubleshoot (car was out of warranty, the memory seat module was carry over from a previous service ticket) and the service manager said the next step would be "possibly" replacing the EBCM. I said I'd pass on them doing it and took it home. I'm a do-it-yourself kind of guy who is very mechanically inclined and wanted to investigate for myself.

After searching around on here for multiple hours, I've found some very helpful information, but nothing that seems to head in the correct direction. I was able to return the car to full power by resetting the TPS (thanks forum), but the other items still remain. I've left the battery unhooked overnight and verified all of the fuses with an Ohm meter with no results. Here are the current symptoms....

1. Power steering is minimal, still able to turn wheel fairly easy at dead stop but certainly not what it should be.
    2. Stabilitrack, ABS, and BRAKE warning lights are on all the time and these options are not functioning.
    3. The nav does not move from the location where you start the car, but the map will spin/rotate with the direction you are traveling. Example, if you are heading south, the arrow will point to the south, but the location on the map will still be where you were parked when you started the car. After searching through the hidden menu, I did notice that when I select NAV SYSTEM, the car dings as though it ran a diagnostic test and the screen shows a green box with OK. However, when I select UNIT CHECK, then select NAV ECU, it brings up a screen that says GPS OK, SERIAL NO. - , and on the right side I get a red box with NG in it.
    4. When I start the car, it dings 33 times (roughly half second apart). This does not happen when the key is turned to the on position, only after the car is started does it take place.

Again, any help would be appreciated, and thanks for taking the time to read my post.

-Chris

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Stabilitrack, ABS, BRAKE warning lights on, minimal power steering, no nav ...

update.... I stopped in to advance auto today to have them pull any diagnostic codes that might be present to possibly get things headed in one direction or another, but no diagnostic codes where present when hooking up to the OBD port. However, all conditions above are still present.

B1900Mech is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS Vin#V DFI RWD

Re: Stabilitrack, ABS, BRAKE warning lights on, minimal power steering, no nav ...

I have the same issue, When I have time, I will check this,

2008 Cadillac Cts Service Brakes, Hydraulic Service Bulletin 308990

NHTSA: Action Number: 10038468 Service Bulletin Number: 308990

Report Date:
    May 01, 2013
    Component:
    Service Brakes, Hydraulic

Summary: Gm: the brake, traction, or stability lights are on because of debris stuck on the wheel speed sensor. Updated on 06/15/2011. *kb updated on 06/20/2011. *rm updated 6/27/11. *pe updated 10/3/11. *pe updated 05/08/2013 *js u

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

This is bizarre. Good luck drilling down to the root cause. And please update on progress.

Cougar281 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 Silverado Duramax, 95 Cougar, 2010 CTS4 Premium

The problem with going to Autozone to pull codes is they can only pull codes from the ECM. They usually can't even pull from the TCM, let alone any other module in the car. If the warning lights are on, there are almost certainly codes.

You need someone with a Tech2 to dig in and get them. If you happen to be in the St Louis area, I can help you with that.

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

^The free loaner scanners at autozone vary in types.
    The ones that have the scanners that can read the GM ABS & SRS will not access them just by plugging it in like you would normally do for the Generic codes You have to go in to the advance features section of the scanner and select Gm advance features and options to see if it can access it or if the scanner even supports the ABS and or SRS on a particular Gm vehicle

The Autozone workers do not even know that or even know how to use them correctly. lol

The Autozone workers do not even know that or even know how to use them correctly
    This was the feeling I got when the guy was walking out to my car. The only reason I stopped was because it's free.

Anyways, I've talked to my local mechanic (a friend that really seems to know his trade and is more than fair about things) last night and he confirmed he has the equipment to dig into it and will do so next week. I'll update at that time.

The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

You're driving the car in this condition?

I drove it without thinking twice because the brakes were functioning as any manual braking system should with standard response. I wasn't worried about doing any further damage, I live in a rural area, and I grew up driving a car without anti-lock brakes so I know how to properly apply brakes.

Anyways, I had my local guy go through it and he said that the EBCM was unresponsive when trying to communicate with his equipment and it appeared to be totally dead. He went ahead and replaced the EBCM, took it to the local Chevrolet dealer to be programmed, and all problems seem to have been resolved. No dings when first started, power steering is back, no christmas tree lights on the dash, and the nav works again. Total bill for parts, labor, and programming was $370.

The only question I still have is with the navigation. It appears to be funcitoning as expected, but when I go into the hidden menu, under UNIT CHECK, under NAV ECU, it still brings up a red box on the right side with NG in it. Is this the normal condition?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.