Question on putting the Transmission in sport mode....
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Question on putting the Transmission in sport mode.... in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; specifically when you move the lever to the right but you still let the transmission shift. I know the transmission ...
    gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium

Question on putting the Transmission in sport mode....

specifically when you move the lever to the right but you still let the transmission shift.

I know the transmission will hold the gears longer, downshift quicker and blip the acceleration, but does it also change (tighten) the throttle controls?

It seems to me that when in sport mode the acceleration is more responsive. In other words there is less lag when pressing the accelerator. Now it could be a placebo effect.

I have found that the manual is terrible at explaining how some of these features work.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MKWAGON is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 AWD Sportwagon, Diamond white, 3.6 DI

Re: Question on putting the Transmission in sport mode....

Can't say I've noticed that, unless I really get on it and it goes into full sport. However, I have to drive really aggressive to get into full sport and keep it there and it's not really possible on the roads around here without risking one's license.

99flhr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS

I`m hard pressed to notice any difference other than the display indicating what gear it`s in.

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

gohawks63, based on my experience with the three 2nd gen CTS's I have owned, and the many threads I've read here since the introduction of the gen 2 CTS, I believe there isn't a huge difference between "normal" (Drive) automatic shift mode and "sport" automatic shift mode.

Here's a link to an interesting thread from 2011 on the subject of Sport Mode: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...nsmission.html

In my understanding/experience, "Sport" automatic shift mode in itself will not change throttle controls and will not blip the throttle. That level of intervention is uniquely tied to the initiation of "Performance Algorithm Shifting" (PAS) and "Performance Algorithm Liftfoot" (PAL) transmission control routines, which can only be engaged (automatically) during certain performance levels of vehicle operation, such as closed throttle high lateral acceleration maneuvers and repeated aggressive cornering (i.e. driving the vehicle as if on a track).

What I think "Sport" automatic shift mode essentially does is to delay upshifts and provide slightly firmer shifting. In normal/non-aggressive/everyday driving the switch from "normal" to "sport" auto shift mode may go largely unnoticed.

I found online the operating characteristics of the 5L40E/50E 5-speed auto transmission that went into the 1st gen CTS. Here is what the document said about Sport Mode operation for that model transmission:
    Typically, Sport mode delays upshifts. The Sport mode simulates the performance driving of a manual transmission. Under certain conditions, the vehicle will maintain specific gears longer than a traditional automatic would. When driving in Normal mode in 5th gear, depressing the Sport button causes an immediate 5-4 downshift, which will be maintained for ten seconds. In any other gear, no downshift takes place when Sport is engaged. In Sport mode, the vehicle has firmer shifting and increased performance, and the transmission may remain in a gear longer than it would be in Normal mode.

As info.. here are the main features of the 6L50 (MYB) and 6L45 (MYA) Hydra-Matic 6-speed automatic transmissions found in the 2008-2013 CTS:
    ▪ Multiple Shift Patterns ( Selectable or Adaptive )
    ▪ Driver Shift Control ( Tap Up / Tap Down )
    ▪ Enhanced Performance Algorithm Shifting ( PAS II )
    ▪ Next Generation Tow / Haul Mode
    ▪ Engine Torque Management On All Shifts
    ▪ Altitude and Temperature Compensation
    ▪ Adaptive Shift Time
    ▪ Neutral Idle
    ▪ Reverse Lockout
    ▪ Automatic Grade Braking

Link to GM Powertrain 2009 Hydra-Matic 6L50 Transmission .doc document: http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/2766...07-am-33k?da=y
    Link to GM Powertrain 2009 Hydra-Matic 6L50 Transmission .xls document: http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/2766...07-am-30k?da=y
    99flhr likes this.

dlpuette is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 AWD Performance Coupe, 2011 Harley ElectraGlide Limited

RAB - Thanks for the deper info on this. I def have noticed the tranny holding onto gears a bit longer and little else. It's a shame it doesn't affect the throttle tip in. That's one complaint I have about the CTS auto tans. Seems like I really have to bury the pedal to get the car to accelerate briskly. That's okay for normal mode, but you would think Sport mode would change that. I had an ATS loaner recently and it had a huge difference in throttle response! It was really refreshing to get such immediete results from throttle input. This CTS Coupe is the first automatic transmission I've owned for over 30 years and truthfully it was a huge concession I made because I liked everything else about the car. I have to admit I'd kill to have a manual in this car. I miss it a lot!!!

I wonder if it's even remotely possible to change the throttle mapping in these cars. I think that would go a long way to enhancing my enjoyment of driving it!

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

I have found that placing the trans in sport mode and then using the paddle shifters for manual control, you can get pretty close to a clutchless manual trans. It's not perfect but it gives the effect. By the way the paddle buttons on the back of the steering wheel leave a lot to be desired in terms of ease of use.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by RAB
    gohawks63, based on my experience with the three 2nd gen CTS's I have owned, and the many threads I've read here since the introduction of the gen 2 CTS, I believe there isn't a huge difference between "normal" (Drive) automatic shift mode and "sport" automatic shift mode. Here's a link to an interesting thread from 2011 on the subject of Sport Mode: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...nsmission.html In my understanding/experience, "Sport" automatic shift mode in itself will not change throttle controls and will not blip the throttle. That level of intervention is uniquely tied to the initiation of "Performance Algorithm Shifting" (PAS) and "Performance Algorithm Liftfoot" (PAL) transmission control routines, which can only be engaged (automatically) during certain performance levels of vehicle operation, such as closed throttle high lateral acceleration maneuvers and repeated aggressive cornering (i.e. driving the vehicle as if on a track). What I think "Sport" automatic shift mode essentially does is to delay upshifts and provide slightly firmer shifting. In normal/non-aggressive/everyday driving the switch from "normal" to "sport" auto shift mode may go largely unnoticed. I found online the operating characteristics of the 5L40E/50E 5-speed auto transmission that went into the 1st gen CTS. Here is what the document said about Sport Mode operation for that model transmission: Typically, Sport mode delays upshifts. The Sport mode simulates the performance driving of a manual transmission. Under certain conditions, the vehicle will maintain specific gears longer than a traditional automatic would. When driving in Normal mode in 5th gear, depressing the Sport button causes an immediate 5-4 downshift, which will be maintained for ten seconds. In any other gear, no downshift takes place when Sport is engaged. In Sport mode, the vehicle has firmer shifting and increased performance, and the transmission may remain in a gear longer than it would be in Normal mode. As info.. here are the main features of the 6L50 (MYB) and 6L45 (MYA) Hydra-Matic 6-speed automatic transmissions found in the 2008-2013 CTS: ▪ Multiple Shift Patterns ( Selectable or Adaptive ) ▪ Driver Shift Control ( Tap Up / Tap Down ) ▪ Enhanced Performance Algorithm Shifting ( PAS II ) ▪ Next Generation Tow / Haul Mode ▪ Engine Torque Management On All Shifts ▪ Altitude and Temperature Compensation ▪ Adaptive Shift Time ▪ Neutral Idle ▪ Reverse Lockout ▪ Automatic Grade Braking Link to GM Powertrain 2009 Hydra-Matic 6L50 Transmission .doc document: http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/2766...07-am-33k?da=y Link to GM Powertrain 2009 Hydra-Matic 6L50 Transmission .xls document: http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/2766...07-am-30k?da=y
    Thanks RAB and everyone else. So no changes in throttle tip-in either? If not then I definitely am experiencing the placebo effect.

I remember reading reviews that the PAL does a better job than most drivers ever do shifting themselves.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Possibly the throttle tip in placebo is from the trans being in a lower gear which give more immediate grunt...no waiting for downshift or hunting for gears like the "regular" transmission

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

When I drove a 2013 CTS I noticed that sport mode would only hold the gears longer when you were accelerating... the second you lifted (and not even fully lifted) it would upshift

i began to play with it a bit to command my upshifts when i wanted using the throttle
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

dmeray1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Tried leaning on it in Sport mode on a couple of exit/entry ramps to I-75 yesterday. It definitely will engage if you lean on it. On entry to 75 I nailed it and it held the gears longer and shifted harder. I let off when it got to triple digits. When I lifted, it stayed in the gear it was in, 4th maybe, and decelerated. Once I obtained a normal cruise speed, it got all gentle again.

What I like to do is just before I get on the entrance ramp, in sport mode, I "play" with the throttle to get her in the right gear, then hit the ramp and go like hell. Damn, that's fun. Glad you got it goin' on!

WEMTX is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS Coupe, SRX

At last years V-Lab in Austin the instructor said to use the sport mode for the track.

Quote Originally Posted by WEMTX View Post
    At last years V-Lab in Austin the instructor said to use the sport mode for the track.
    Truly, that's what it is for.

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

I will be ice racing mine this winter so I will report back if I can get "awesome" mode to engage.

Douglas Rome is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-4 3.0 Base sedan 2nd owner bought used 22Kmi

remember the Powerglide trans, two speed, it's back. COPO Camero, very fast.
    thanks, douglas

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.