HID Light Turned Pink!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, HID Light Turned Pink!! in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Ok, I just went to move my car and my left HID light is pink! Turned it off for a ...
    Pyromaniac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

HID Light Turned Pink!!

Ok, I just went to move my car and my left HID light is pink! Turned it off for a few minutes and back on. This time it was the same color but then again turned pink. Anyone else had this happen or know why it's doing this?! I'm very disappointed in Cadillac for this. My car is 6 years old so the warranty doesn't exist any more, but I'm under the impression that HID lights are supposed to last a long time. Please help.

----------

Anyway, I'm assuming I need to replace the bulb. How much am I looking at to replace it? I'll probably try to replace both since the other one will likely do the same thing soon.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

arw1510 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyromaniac View Post
    Ok, I just went to move my car and my left HID light is pink! Turned it off for a few minutes and back on. This time it was the same color but then again turned pink. Anyone else had this happen or know why it's doing this?! I'm very disappointed in Cadillac for this. My car is 6 years old so the warranty doesn't exist any more, but I'm under the impression that HID lights are supposed to last a long time. Please help.

----------

Anyway, I'm assuming I need to replace the bulb. How much am I looking at to replace it? I'll probably try to replace both since the other one will likely do the same thing soon.
    Yup. Bad bulbs. Nothing to blame Cadillac for. Every part has a lifespan. Who knows. Maybe you had you're lights on more often than you thought. You have to drop the bumper to get to the headlight but that's not hard. The headlamp assembly is held in with 2 bolts and one nut. But that's as far as my help can go. Havent hard to dig any deeper myself yet

Acdelco bulbs are 150 each but there's cheaper alternatives out there

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Replace both, and don't call the dealer for pricing unless you want to fall over.

This site has high quality/OEM bulbs at pretty good prices:
    http://www.highperformancebulbs.com/hidbulbs.html

Mistercoffee2 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: HID Light Turned Pink!!

Quote Originally Posted by arw1510 View Post
    2 bolts and one nut
    A little more completed then that and I'm sure it is well documented on here.

99flhr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS

Quote Originally Posted by Pyromaniac View Post
    I'm very disappointed in Cadillac for this.
    Over a burned out light bulb ?
    tinman, C "T" ess, RAB and 3 others like this.

I missed ^^that^^.

...Seriously?
    C "T" ess and MoFex like this.

dlpuette is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 AWD Performance Coupe, 2011 Harley ElectraGlide Limited

That's what HID's do as the sun sets on their life. 6 Years actually ain't too bad. My BMW's died after 5 yrs. The link above for highperformance bulbs is a good one. I bought mine there and shopped quite a bit for price.

Be smart and replace both!!! I changed mine to a higher temperature for a more white light.

Quote Originally Posted by 99flhr View Post
    Over a burned out light bulb ?
    Heat of the moment type of thing. I just don't know anyone whose HID has burned out...even a few 10 year old cars still have their originals. Anyway, I want to replace it with an OEM bulb. The manual says not to attempt it myself, so I'm not sure where to go. Will my headlamps need to be re-aimed? I'm definitely going to replace both. I'm actually very happy with the light the stock lights put out, so I just want an OEM and not an upgrade.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

Are you kidding me? It's October, Pink for Breast Cancer month. I'm proud that you are a supporter.
    HurstGN likes this.

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

10 year old cars may still have their HIDs working but how well are they working right?

You need a D1S and get 4300K if you want the most output, I would think if you have basic skills you should be able to swap them or any decent auto shop, I don't think you need to realign your lights but I cant say for 100% sure.

dlpuette is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 AWD Performance Coupe, 2011 Harley ElectraGlide Limited

No, you won't have to re-aim. The bulbs lock into the carrier. My BMW was a bit of a PIA to change. Had to remove the fender liner to get at the back of em. Not sure how tough our CTS's are

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

It must be on the site, I have to pull both mine out to do some upgrades and it looks like the bumper cover and grill.

If the OEM bulbs are Phillips XenStarts, they're available from the site I posted. theretrofitsource carries what is considered the best D1S bulb, and the price isn't all that much more:
    http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...ducts_id=17166

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    If the OEM bulbs are Phillips XenStarts, they're available from the site I posted. theretrofitsource carries what is considered the best D1S bulb, and the price isn't all that much more:
    http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...ducts_id=17166
    Okay, I'll check it out. I just notice that the color tone of the HIDs and LEDs are similar; I just don't want the color tone to be different if I upgrade. How do they blend with the LEDs?

The OEM bulbs are most likely 4,300K. In that case, replace them with the XenStart bulbs (again, I'm only assuming that's what's installed now), as the Osrams that I linked are 5,000K (pure white, no yellow tinge).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.