HID Light Turned Pink!! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree10Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, HID Light Turned Pink!! in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by MoistCabbage The OEM bulbs are most likely 4,300K. In that case, replace them with the XenStart bulbs ...
    Pyromaniac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: HID Light Turned Pink!!

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    The OEM bulbs are most likely 4,300K. In that case, replace them with the XenStart bulbs (again, I'm only assuming that's what's installed now), as the Osrams that I linked are 5,000K (pure white, no yellow tinge).
    I don't really see a yellow tinge on these ones. That's why I really like the ones that came with my car. They look white with maybe a tinge of blue, if anything. But you're saying the 5,000K are better than any of the factory ones?

----------

Dealer quoted me $314 for the bulb, by the way, with $100 labor because the bulb costs so much.

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

According to my online research.. the OEM HID bulb assembly for a 2008-2013 CTS equipped with rpo T4F HID Headlamps is GM /ACDelco part number 25911883. The best price I saw online for this GM /ACDelco OEM bulb was $138.00, at Amazon.com. That's the price for only 1 bulb assembly.
    If I was paying for a new pair of HID bulbs for my '11 CTS I'd be going with the 2x Osram Xenarc 66144 D1S CBI Bulbs from theretrofitsource.com that MoistCabbage recommends. $200.00 total for arguably the best HID bulbs out there, plus a 2 year warranty. It's hard to beat that.
    99flhr likes this.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyromaniac

I don't really see a yellow tinge on these ones. That's why I really like the ones that came with my car. They look white with maybe a tinge of blue, if anything. But you're saying the 5,000K are better than any of the factory ones?

----------

Dealer quoted me $314 for the bulb, by the way, with $100 labor because the bulb costs so much.
    5,000K isn't "better", it's just a different color. And normally, 4,300K bulbs have the highest lumen output (brightness). However, the Osrams I linked are actually brighter.

As for color, your bulbs look very white compared to halogens. But if you saw 4,300Ks, 5,000Ks, and 6,000Ks lined up, the 4,400Ks would look slightly yellower than the 5,000Ks, and the 6,000Ks would look slightly bluer.

I'd bet money that the "AC Delco" bulbs are repackaged XenoStarts like they are for my Seville and other models. They're not going to stock different D1S bulbs for different models, and AFAIK, AC Delco doesn't manufacture bulbs.

Pyromaniac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I think I'll go ahead and try those 5,000Ks. $200 for a pair, right?! That's not bad at all compared to the $314 the dealer quoted me for just ONE. Also, any suggestions on LED replacements for the DRLs?

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Yup, $200 for a pair. I can 't recommend any specific LEDs, but take a look on www.superbrightleds.com

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by Pyromaniac View Post
    I think I'll go ahead and try those 5,000Ks. $200 for a pair, right?! That's not bad at all compared to the $314 the dealer quoted me for just ONE. Also, any suggestions on LED replacements for the DRLs?
    Regarding LED replacements for the DRLs, I haven't done this as yet but I'm considering doing it to achieve a whiter, brighter, more contemporary look. The OEM halogen DRL bulb in the 2008-2013 CTS {equipped with rpo T4F HID Headlamps} is GM /ACDelco part number 10351675. This model/type of bulb assembly is referred to at aftermarket sites as lamp model type H16, 5201, 5202 and 9009.

Link to a 2013 thread re LED DRLs: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...turns-cts.html
    Link to an older (2010) thread re DRLs: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...drl-turns.html

My main concern in using LED replacements for the DRLs is bulb life/longevity. Reading through the 2013 thread per above link it appears a few forum members (such as is250sp and Hammerhead100) are happy with the lighting "performance" at least (brightness & color temp) of the China-sourced CREE 30W SMD LED bulbs they installed. There's been no new info posted, good or bad, regarding bulb longevity using the CREE LED DRLs.
    Here's a link to a listing of the ($50.00 per pair) CREE bulbs on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-CREE-SMD-...E:L:OC:US:3160

Link to a US website for same/similar 30W CREE bulbs available in both 5000K and 6000K color temp: http://www.kbcarstuff.com/5202-H16-9...d-5202-led.htm

I visited superbrightleds.com for info on LED replacements for DRLs on a 2nd gen CTS. When I entered my '11 CTS detail the site advised, "We're sorry, we currently do not carry any LED replacements for this particular bulb" (i.e. bulb type 5201). But when I searched for H16 LED DRL specifically, the site came back with this: http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...uct/1275/2951/
    Their product note is interesting:
    IMPORTANT NOTES. PLEASE READ BEFORE PURCHASING:
    1. LED fog lights are for cosmetic purposes only, and will not project light in the same way that the factory bulbs do.
    These bulbs are suitable for Daytime Running Lamps only - they do not produce enough light for useful illumination at night.

So, the H16/5201/5202/9009 LED bulb is unsuitable, practically speaking, for use in fog lights (due to its poorer projection as compared to the OEM halogen bulb), but fine, cosmetically speaking, for DRL use.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.