black smoke
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By conedoctor
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, black smoke in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Do all DI engines blow black smoke when you are flooring the gas pedal?...
    dklswh is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4

black smoke

Do all DI engines blow black smoke when you are flooring the gas pedal?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

Re: black smoke

If it only lasts a second or two and doesn't happen every time you accelerate then; you are most likely blowing out any accumulated carbon in the exhaust system and mufflers. If it happens every time you punch it and it lasts more than just a few seconds check your oil for any excessive usage, the black smoke you see could be oil burning off.

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D

Black is usually poor combustion, it should not blow tons of black smoke and if it is then some fuel is not being burnt fully. As said above it may do it for a second when you stand on it but the smoke should not continue, maybe tune up time.
    99flhr likes this.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Maybe you need an Italian Tune-up a little more often.

dhtigerfan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 Cadillac CTS Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by dklswh View Post
    Do all DI engines blow black smoke when you are flooring the gas pedal?
    Mine certainly doesn't.

Joe
    Joe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS blk/blk

Hey dklswh,

How often are you adding oil? Most of these engines use a little oil, because of rings, seals, guides or all of the above. How many miles on the vehicle?

dklswh is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4

oil has never been down, i use synthetic, premium fuel sometime. it is not big clouds of smoke just noticeable. Car has 170000 km (106,000 mi) plugs just replaced, guess i'll keep an eye on it.
    Thanks

Joe
    Joe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS blk/blk

Hi dklswh,

If you are not using oil you are way ahead of the game. Mine throws a little smoke when I punch it. Its probably carbon like C "T"ess mentioned. I do have a feeling these engines being direct injected probably push a lot of fuel into the cylinders when we get on it. I suspect also many of these high horsepower engines just cant burn it up quick enough so it gets tossed un-burned out of the tailpipe. How's your gas mileage?

99flhr is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS

Conventional wisdom is that oil smoke is blue/white.

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D

They only push as much fuel into the cylinders as called for they just do it a bit better.

I think mine does it but I never get a chance to floor it

reciprocity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2009 CTS Premium (RWD w/3.6DI & FE2)

I think C"T"ess is right. If I really accelerate hard (getting on the freeway from a metering light on a short onramp, for example), I definitely notice a small "cloud" of carbon. I'm pretty sure that's what it is if it's only under heavy acceleration. Just keep an eye on your oil consumption and you should be fine.

sliderule01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Wagon

I get the same thing. Most of my driving is in town. I do notice it more when I use regular and not premium. When I hit the pedal hard during a passing situation, I get an occasional puff of black smoke. It is not blue which suggests oil. This usually happens when I floor it quickly to pass and I get a rapid kickdown on the transmission to pass. I suspect that it is carbon build-up and I need to do an "Italian tune-up" more often.

While people say that the use of premium is not necessary, I have documented that I do get a couple of miles per gallon better with premium with the same sort of driving by alternating tanks, and approximately 10 tanks each. I see the same thing when driving the same route on the highway with the cruise control set to the same speed. While not a big statistical sample, it is strongly suggestive.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Quote Originally Posted by sliderule01 View Post
    I get the same thing. Most of my driving is in town. I do notice it more when I use regular and not premium. When I hit the pedal hard during a passing situation, I get an occasional puff of black smoke. It is not blue which suggests oil. This usually happens when I floor it quickly to pass and I get a rapid kickdown on the transmission to pass. I suspect that it is carbon build-up and I need to do an "Italian tune-up" more often.

While people say that the use of premium is not necessary, I have documented that I do get a couple of miles per gallon better with premium with the same sort of driving by alternating tanks, and approximately 10 tanks each. I see the same thing when driving the same route on the highway with the cruise control set to the same speed. While not a big statistical sample, it is strongly suggestive.
    Interesting with your mpg. Does the extra mpg "pay" for itself with the additional cost of premium?

GO TIGERS! (and Red Wings)

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

There is no more energy in a gallon of premium than there is in a gallon of regular; however, if you do have some of that carbon buildup (and it is in the area of combustion) you engine may be identifying some 'ping' (with regular) and is retarding the timing a bit (lowering your mpg). Premium may in fact give some better mileage figures. I do doubt that you are saving any money (using premium) as the cost difference would negate any differences of mileage versus cost. Top-tier gasoline and an occasional engine exercise (i.e. Italian tuneup) should relegate premium to cars that call for it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.