Need new tires
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Need new tires in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; OK all you CTS lovers I need your opinion. I've been running Bridgestone tires on my 08 AWD for the ...
    Joe
    Joe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS blk/blk

Need new tires

OK all you CTS lovers I need your opinion. I've been running Bridgestone tires on my 08 AWD for the past 65,000 miles and they wont wear out! Now one would think is a wonderful thing, but they ride way too hard for my liking. I don't care about getting long life I would rather a softer ride. I do a tremendous amount of driving (30,000 per year); I have a long commute and would like a softer, quieter ride. These serenity plus tires are excellent in wet and snowy weather but I need a change. All opinions always appreciated. Thanks for reading,

Happy motoring,

Joe

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

smooth_ride is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS AWD

Re: Need new tires

I got the Michelin Primacy ones a couple weeks ago. They are about the same as the OEMs, but cost less. I think the road noise is same or worse. They are 4 pounds heavier than the OEMs. The steering wheel wobble is worse than the OEMs, until they heat up and the tire pressure rises above 37 PSI.

like2drive is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS RWD 3.6L SFI Black Cherry / Cashmere

I will also need new tires soon. I'm still running the OEM Michelin Pilot 17" since new. Almost 60,000 miles. Last week, I noticed that I have a drone coming from the rear end of the car, more noticeable at higher speed. Now, I know there were few threads about that - it could be a wheel bearing, the drive shaft...? I might be suspecting a tire, since I have about 4 or 5/32 thread left. Do tires become louder as they wear? I would think yes, but just want your opinions guys!

Anyway, I might have this checked sometime next week, as if it is a bearing or drive shaft, the powertrain warranty should cover it, right?

Jschmank is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 Silver CTS AWD

I have second set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS and have been happy with them.

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

Keep in mind that the longer the projected tire wear is comes with the compromise of a harder rubber to provide that added mileage. The softer the tire the fewer tire tread life. I always go softer over tread life as the softer tire always provides better ride and feel.
    conedoctor likes this.

Bandit1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS 3.6DI

I will be replacing the oem Michelins on my 08 with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's.

billeee is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS 2012 CTS

Call Tire Rack. They are excellent at advising which tire will provide the performance characteristics you are looking for.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

And tirerack's website allows you to check different characteristics in tires and compare different tires. Good information at your fingertips to allow you to pick the right tire for your purposes.

Joe
    Joe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS blk/blk

Thank you all for the help, much appreciated.

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Don't get softer confused with softer.....

Softer rubber and softer sidewall are different, a softer compound will wear faster and grip better but will not always ride better.

All season tires get unhappy below 5C or so and become harder.

I want to go with a staggered set of Kumho SPT, I had these on my A6 and A4 and was very happy with them.
    99flhr likes this.

The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

Buying new shoes for my baby today. I've had flats due to punctures in two of the tires, both of which were plugged successfully, but one is now leaking slowly. As I often travel a fair distance for my work, I can't afford to have problems with my tires. I also figure that the Contis would be shot when my lease is up in two years, so I might as well buy new tires now and get a couple of years' use out of them -- they should still be in good shape when I turn the car in as I drive less than 10,000 miles per year.

That's my justification, anyway!

Replacing the OEM 245/45ZR19 ContiSportContact 3s with a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s in the same size. I was considering the Michelin MXM4, but my tire guy pointed out that they're not Y rated as specified by GM. Although that's certainly sufficient, having tires with the "wrong" rating could pose a problem for me when the lease on the car is up, so I went with the A/S 3s, which are Y rated.

More later....

Judge, I don't disagree with any points you stated. My only question: When has anyone ever looked at the speed rating on a tire when your vehicle goes off lease?

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    ... When has anyone ever looked at the speed rating on a tire when your vehicle goes off lease?
    Are you kidding me? They check everything when you turn in a lease, including the tires for size, wear, and damage. It's their car and they want to be able to resell it without having to invest much in repairs, and they will go after the leasee for any excess damage or wear. If your tires have less than 50% tread, you'll be charged for new ones. Same if they're the wrong size or below the rating specified for the car on the door sticker. As stated in the owner's manual, tires "must also conform to federal safety requirements and additional General Motors Tire Performance Criteria (TPC) standards." Any reasonable person would do the same, and it's part of every lease. There are exceptions. For example Mercedes won't charge for any scratches or dings or tears in the upholstery that are smaller than a certain size. BTW, having the wrong tires on the car can affect the warranty, too.

I've leased my last eight cars (big tax advantage if you like to have a new car every few years and can use it in your business, as I do). However, I got in a huge fight with GMAC/Ally Bank when I turned in my 2008 CTS -- the rectum of an inspector even dinged me for dog hair in the back seat! However, they eventually agreed that the inspector, who was new, was over zealous and backed off. Some leasing companies are more strict than others, so it may depend on whether you leased through GMAC, a bank, or some other third party.

I have not leased a car in 30 years. I am aware that you need to have the correct tires, I know they want a matching set along with good tread. I just didn't see where the morons could even know what a V or H speed rating may be, I just didn't figure them even looking at that.

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    I have not leased a car in 30 years. I am aware that you need to have the correct tires, I know they want a matching set along with good tread. I just didn't see where the morons could even know what a V or H speed rating may be, I just didn't figure them even looking at that.
    The inspections aren't done by some dimwitted, nearsighted salesman -- there are specially trained mechanics that go over the returned car with a fine-toothed comb. As I recall, they have a specific checklist with around 100 items on it, including every mechanical, electrical, and body detail. Again, it's their car, and if the lessee ****s it up, the lessee pays for the damage. People who lease because they think it's cheaper than buying need to understand that.

BTW, I recall that when I turned in my 2008 and leased my 2011, I got dinged for scrape on one of the chrome wheels, which they insisted on replacing. I switched leasing companies as U.S. Bank gave me a better deal than GMAC/Ally Bank, which held the lease on the 2008, so I didn't have any leverage with them. However, the dealer ostensibly absorbed that cost, although in theory I could have gotten a somewhat better deal if they hadn't done so.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.