Onstar promotion 6 months to a year free. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Onstar promotion 6 months to a year free. in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by dreiloft In other words you have to opt in. They can't magically get that information from your ...
    live2drive1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe Premium

Re: Onstar promotion 6 months to a year free.

Quote Originally Posted by dreiloft View Post
    In other words you have to opt in. They can't magically get that information from your car....I posted this email to save forum members money if they had an inactive account, not to debate your expertise of being in the insurance industry.
    Thank you for your post! I have another vehicle on Drive, Safe and Save and was waiting on this type of promotion before adding the CTS. My account had been inactive for a couple years, so I "pressed the blue button" and received Directions and Connections free for 6 months. I contacted my agent and got the additional 6 months free, in additional to the 5% signup bonus and 1 year of Drive, Safe and Save at no charge. Discounts will be deducted at the next policy renewal.

Thanks again!

dreiloft is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS, 2012 Coupe traded, 2010 CTS 4 Dr traded
    Quote Originally Posted by live2drive1

Thank you for your post! I have another vehicle on Drive, Safe and Save and was waiting on this type of promotion before adding the CTS. My account had been inactive for a couple years, so I "pressed the blue button" and received Directions and Connections free for 6 months. I contacted my agent and got the additional 6 months free, in additional to the 5% signup bonus and 1 year of Drive, Safe and Save at no charge. Discounts will be deducted at the next policy renewal.

Thanks again!
    Not a problem, that is is what this forum is suppose to be: hint!

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by dreiloft
    Not a problem, that is is what this forum is suppose to be: hint
    yep it's about helping people and all I was trying to do was clear up the misconception that if they subscribed longer that they had to worry that their insurance company would have their driving information.

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63

...and I didn't want people thinking that if they subscribed longer that they had to worry that their insurance company would have their driving information.
    You need to stop, you already inserted your foot in your mouth and it is hard to remove, Your so-called expertise has already been exposed. Too funny.

You need to stop, you already inserted your foot in your mouth and it is hard to remove, Your so-called expertise has already been exposed. Too funny.
    I have not been exposed. I have been correct and I won't repeat it as it has been already been documented. You got defensive when I called you on the fact that if you subscribed for a year your insurance company would find out. I was trying to help and clear it up. You got testy and started the attacks. Go back and read the posts again. Too bad. I have never had issues with you in the past.

I have not been exposed. I have been correct and I won't repeat it as it has been already been documented. You got defensive when I called you on the fact that if you subscribed for a year your insurance company would find out. I was trying to help and clear it up. You got testy and started the attacks. Go back and read the posts again. Too bad. I have never had issues with you in the past.
    I have no issues with you I posted a helpful note and you got carried away, no hard feelings. Everything is good.

spind is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe AWD Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by live2drive1
    Thank you for your post! I have another vehicle on Drive, Safe and Save and was waiting on this type of promotion before adding the CTS. My account had been inactive for a couple years, so I "pressed the blue button" and received Directions and Connections free for 6 months. I contacted my agent and got the additional 6 months free, in additional to the 5% signup bonus and 1 year of Drive, Safe and Save at no charge. Discounts will be deducted at the next policy renewal. Thanks again!
    I too would 'Opt in' if this was available in Canada.

C "T" ess is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

If you read the promotion, the second six months free is in an agreement with "State Farm", not just any insurance company. If you do not have State Farm and do not have a desire to consider them, then there is no exchange of information. A stand alone reader that plugs into your OB II, simply measure driving patterns not locations. (factors such as average speed during a designated period of time, average distance of trips, projected yearly mileage. They really don't care where you drive, it's not germane to the coverage cost." The information they are using is to rate your liability coverage cost not comprehensive or collision. As for the liability coverage, it doesn't make a difference where the accident were to happen, just how likely your driving patterns predict the likely hood of you having an accident. If you have an on-star account and get the monthly report on your car's systems,combined with the information displayed on your DIC you will see that they are already collecting data.
    to what extent, they do not tell us but it's sure to be more than what is displayed. On-star's monthly report already offers a discount with GM insurance if you let them share your information. You must authorize this and your willingness to get a quote with them.
    One most important thing to remember is the privacy agreement mandated by federal law. Both you and on-star and/or your insurance company are bound by specific provisions that each side must agree to. NOT hidden in the agreement is a clause explaining who and how they will share your information. In this case it states who they will share the information with and for what purpose. You have the ability to opt out of this provision at any time.

WEMTX is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS Coupe, SRX

Curious, for State Farm's purposes how can they determine speed averaged vs speed limits where traveling?
    I live out in the country in Texas. I drive a mile from home and the speed limit is 60MPH, 10 miles and the limit is 75MPH When I drive to north Austin the speed limit is 85MPH.

Quote Originally Posted by C "T" ess View Post
    If you read the promotion, the second six months free is in an agreement with "State Farm", not just any insurance company. If you do not have State Farm and do not have a desire to consider them, then there is no exchange of information. A stand alone reader that plugs into your OB II, simply measure driving patterns not locations. (factors such as average speed during a designated period of time, average distance of trips, projected yearly mileage. They really don't care where you drive, it's not germane to the coverage cost." The information they are using is to rate your liability coverage cost not comprehensive or collision. As for the liability coverage, it doesn't make a difference where the accident were to happen, just how likely your driving patterns predict the likely hood of you having an accident. If you have an on-star account and get the monthly report on your car's systems,combined with the information displayed on your DIC you will see that they are already collecting data.
    to what extent, they do not tell us but it's sure to be more than what is displayed. On-star's monthly report already offers a discount with GM insurance if you let them share your information. You must authorize this and your willingness to get a quote with them.
    One most important thing to remember is the privacy agreement mandated by federal law. Both you and on-star and/or your insurance company are bound by specific provisions that each side must agree to. NOT hidden in the agreement is a clause explaining who and how they will share your information. In this case it states who they will share the information with and for what purpose. You have the ability to opt out of this provision at any time.
    I believe you pretty much nailed it. Now from what I can gather with this specific offer, they are only looking for miles driven to reconcile your actual miles driven with how your vehicle is rated on your policy (i.e. pleasure only - less than 7,500 miles, or Work/School 12K - 15K miles)

If you have your car listed as pleasure only and your are truly driving only those miles, you might not see much of a discount and if you drive more than what you have rated for usage you could see your rates increase.

Having said all that, while initially they may be only looking for miles, they could potentially have access to the rest of the data with respect to how the vehicle is driven which in addition to miles driven could also include the following:

Do you accelerate and brake smoothly or aggressively?
    Average speeds
    Types of driving (highway or start/stop)
    Speed in which you take turns/corners

Like I said, with this offer it seems as though they are only looking for miles driven, but you know that they could potentially have more data at their disposal. I am tempted to contact OnStar to get more info.

As for Progressive's Snapshot, they are going beyond just miles driven and also looking at your driving behaviors.

Here is an interesting article recently published.

http://www.insurancetech.com/busines...sell/240159760

----------

Quote Originally Posted by WEMTX View Post
    Curious, for State Farm's purposes how can they determine speed averaged vs speed limits where traveling?
    I live out in the country in Texas. I drive a mile from home and the speed limit is 60MPH, 10 miles and the limit is 75MPH When I drive to north Austin the speed limit is 85MPH.
    I can't say for sure how the OnStar/State Farm agreement works, but don't underestimate the data that is available. Remember that OnStar has map data available to them and they can track the roads you've driven.

Also, speed may not always be an issue. Take the following example.

Speed Limit is 70 mph.
    Traffic is moving at 80 mph
    Someone is driving in the right hand lane doing 65 mph.

I have read articles where the police themselves have said the 65 mph driver is more of a hazard than the driver moving consistently with the rest of traffic.

It's less of an issue of one or two instances of speeding but more of a picture of your overall driving behavior. Are you an aggressive driver with jack rabbit starts/stops with high speed cornering, or do you have smooth controlled acceleration and stops?

Not sure what you mean about the insurance company knowing your driving habits. OnStar does not share that info with your insurance company.
    I cannot bite my tongue. This post is an example of commenting before jumping the gun and commenting before you have read the entire post. Remember nothing is free. BTW your last post was very useful for future negotiations. Thanks.

I cannot bite my tongue. This post is an example of commenting before jumping the gun and commenting before you have read the entire post. Remember nothing is free. BTW your last post was very useful for future negotiations. Thanks.
    God you won't just let this go. By entering into this agreement with OnStar you are agreeing to have OnStar share this information with State Farm. I have an OnStar subscription that I have outside of this. They can't share my driving information with my insurance company because I have not authorized it. I already conceded in an earlier post that this was a new agreement between State Farm and OnStar and that it didn't require an OBD-II device, but again, you have to opt-in.

Now who is getting carried away?

[eupQUOTE="gohawks63"] God you won't just let this go. By entering into this agreement with OnStar you are agreeing to have OnStar share this information with State Farm. I have an OnStar subscription that I have outside of this. They can't share my driving information with my insurance company because I have not authorized it. I already conceded in an earlier post that this was a new agreement between State Farm and OnStar and that it didn't require an OBD-II device, but again, you have to opt-in.

Now who is getting carried away?[/QUOTE]

You! Are you hard headed? Read your previous posts. Denial. Quit trying to justifying your expertise when you have back tracked too many times. giveup.

You! Are you hard headed? Read your previous posts. Denial.
    This is where I made my concession regarding this being a unique agreement between OnStar and State Farm. I bolded it for your benefit.

Read my past posts, I said they can't collect that information without your permission. You have to enroll (the word I used is opt-in) in order for State Farm to collect that information. OnStar can't just give that information to them. You have proven me correct. The only correction that I will make to my post is that apparently OnStar and State Farm have partnered to share information, but only after you have enrolled through State Farm. It doesn't happen automatically when you subscribe to OnStar. Once you enroll and give permission, then yes OnStar can share that information with State Farm. Until then they can't. No different than how you have to give permission before someone can pull your credit report. If you look at the page of the link you provided, it says "enroll Now". I don't get why that's so hard to comprehend.
    So much for everything being "all good" and putting this to rest. Time to find the ignore button.

You sir have gotten carried away.

This is where I made my concession regarding this being a unique agreement between OnStar and State Farm. I bolded it for your benefit.

So much for everything being "all good" and putting this to rest. Time to find the ignore button.

You sir have gotten carried away.
    I was being polite. You have been contradicted on everything you said. Are you a slow learner?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.