Reliability past the 100,000 mile mark
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Reliability past the 100,000 mile mark in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; so im looking at getting a cts up in the 100k+ mile range. a 2008 sedan at like 120k+ or ...
    joekitch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Reliability past the 100,000 mile mark

so im looking at getting a cts up in the 100k+ mile range. a 2008 sedan at like 120k+ or a wagon at 100k+

so, how does the cts platform fare at those high mileages?
    the way i see it, in most cases, cars that are treated poor dont make it to 100k, and by then all of the problems present from the factory have been addressed, so its generally smooth sailing until you get up towards 200k where things start dying from wear.
    whereas something like a jag begin to fall to pieces unless you keep on top of it all the time.

is this true for the cts as well? or do problems really start to mount up then?
    this is assuming i keep up with regular oil changes (not dropping below 30% oil) and that the previous owner did so as well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Reliability past the 100,000 mile mark

actually, i wonder if anyone here owns a cts thats gone beyond 100k miles?

arw1510 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD
    There should be plenty of people. The 100k mile topic was covered in a thread not too long ago. But it sounds like you're more concerned with the 200k mile mark.

I don't think 100k miles is anything on modern cars as long as they are maintained. Here is our arsenol, all cars bought new and routine maintenance preformed

2004 CTS 3.6. 155k miles.
    2004 SRX v8. 160k-miles - totalled 1 year ago in accident.
    2006 Lincoln mark Lt - 170k miles
    2007 BMW x3 190k miles.
    2012 CTS 3.6 awd 32k miles

All cars are still beasts and show no signs of dying anytime soon. But yeah, belts were replaced, coolant flushed, fluids changed, motor mounts replaced, a pullet on one, plenty of brakes and tires. Shocks and struts. Batteries

But everyone knows that those parts only have a certain life and need to be replaced as necessary without bitching about it.

I see all these cars lasting to 250k+

Quote Originally Posted by arw1510 View Post
    There should be plenty of people. The 100k mile topic was covered in a thread not too long ago. But it sounds like you're more concerned with the 200k mile mark.
    i just looked that up actually. a bit vague and didn't really answer my question since maybe two people there had a cts over the 100k mark
    and easy solution is to get a 2010 with 100k miles. it'll be 18 grand but it'll be unkillable for many years.

in all honesty though i'd rather spend 13 grand on a 110-120k mile car and make sure it has service records + passes a prepurchase inspection

Quote Originally Posted by joekitch View Post

i just looked that up actually. a bit vague and didn't really answer my question since maybe two people there had a cts over the 100k mark
    and easy solution is to get a 2010 with 100k miles. it'll be 18 grand but it'll be unkillable for many years.

in all honesty though i'd rather spend 13 grand on a 110-120k mile car and make sure it has service records + passes a prepurchase inspection
    Then what's your question? I read it as how is liability when you get to the 200k mark?

And that answer is that the car will definitely make it there, but don't be surprised to have to make necessary repairs when parts reach their designated service life's. And remember that just mileage isn't a good measure. The climate where the car was will drastically effect lives of rubber parts. Bumpier roads means that shocks don't last as long. Etc etc etc

Idk what you're trying to get at, maybe why noone else has bothered to reply

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

My 2010 wagon is at 87000 and its fine, runs like a top and still feels tight yo

Rufflyer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS Sedan

I have a 2008 CTS 3.6 non DI with 132,000 miles I bought last year. I had to put air in the left rear tire... Oh, and a SMALL coolant leak I can't find, so I can't say I have had to fix it yet. That has been it. I have been following the maintenance schedules and kept the fluids full and it seems to be happy. I like buying cars that are 3-4 years old with high miles at greatly reduced prices and getting a repair warranty program to pay for the big ticket repairs. I intend to drive this CTS for 2 or 3 more years. I may replace it a 2012 or 2013 CTS that would be in the $12,000 price range like my 2008 was.

On another note, I did add blue tooth, and a garage door opener and replaced the Windshield washer Fluid Heater that GM had taken out when it was owned by by the previous owner. To that end, this forum has been an invaluable source of information and inspiration.... Good luck on your choice.

tumblrCTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 CTSex

2008 Cts rwd direct injection. Will hit 100,000 miles this week.
    Things to look for:
    Screen/Nav issues. Not going up/down...not working at all
    If the wheels are aftermarket...dont do it. Stock is 17 and i went to 20's caused all kinds of suspension issues.
    Rain water leaking back right of sunroof? in heavy rain, water comes in and puddles in my passenger side backseat foot well.
    Working headlight bulbs.
    timing chain issues.
    Blocked ac lines causing water under glovebox.

These are all the issues i have had in my last 3 years of ownership.

The car itself runs great. Never had any really bad issues with car, other than timing chain...but was covered by warranty.

Joe
    Joe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS blk/blk

Hey Joe

My 08 AWD has 132,000 on it. This is a tough call because there are so many variables. At best you are rolling dice. If the car has some documented history that's a wonderful thing. I learned the hard way with Carfax I will never trust them again; long story. Things that are huge are oil usage. If you can test drive it for two weeks, see how much oil you are using, if its more than a half quart forget it. Make sure the timing chain has been changed and hopefully not long ago. Suspension issues, vibrations, road noise, pulling and tire shake. Leaks and dampness, like sunroof and trunk that are well documented for being a nightmare. Do your homework and best of luck.

hmm, if i gave the VIN to a cadillac dealer would they be able to pull up official cadillac service history?
    also i thought carfax was pretty rock solid and hard to fool?

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Carfax is useless. It relies on information that is not mandatory to report.

Any GM dealer will have access to records of any work done on the car by a GM dealership. That's about the best you can do.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Carfax is useless. It relies on information that is not mandatory to report.

Any GM dealer will have access to records of any work done on the car by a GM dealership. That's about the best you can do.
    question is, will the gm dealer actually run the VIN or will they just blow me off and say they cant do that?

Quote Originally Posted by joekitch View Post

question is, will the gm dealer actually run the VIN or will they just blow me off and say they cant do that?
    If they want to sell you the car they will

99flhr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS

Assuming you finance a car: spending more up front for low miles (warranty) translates into a known monthly expense which can be worked into a budget. The alternative is less $ but a major repair is unpredictable and unwelcome.
    An additional $100 a month is easier to take than 2 out of the blue $1500 repair invoices . JMO

Quote Originally Posted by 99flhr View Post
    Assuming you finance a car: spending more up front for low miles (warranty) translates into a known monthly expense which can be worked into a budget. The alternative is less $ but a major repair is unpredictable and unwelcome.
    An additional $100 a month is easier to take than 2 out of the blue $1500 repair invoices . JMO
    meh, i'm not quite so paralyzed about out of the blue big ticket repairs. if i was i'd just get a honda.
    from what i've been seeing, as long as the proper maintenance was done and the oil was kept above 30% most of the time, there isn't much to go wrong on a 08 cts....in terms of the drivetrain at least.

and if i wanted to spend more, i'd spring another 4 grand for a 2010 CTS wagon at about 100k miles. the '10 cts' were noticeably sturdier...plus its a #swagon.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.