2008 cts clicking noise on top of engine
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2008 cts clicking noise on top of engine in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Hey guys, I have a 2008 cts 3.6 DI. Recently I noticed that it makes a constant ticking sound upon ...
    dr2411 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 cts 3.6 DI

2008 cts clicking noise on top of engine

Hey guys, I have a 2008 cts 3.6 DI. Recently I noticed that it makes a constant ticking sound upon ignition and the sound seems to also effect the sound of the exhaust, making it sound "rougher". The sound seems to be coming from above the engine towards the cabin of the car.The sound does not seem to go away after it is warmed up, but does diminish. It only has 44000 miles on it. Otherwise I have noticed no difference in performance. Anyone have any ideas on the issue or have past experience?
    Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Caddyman1154 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 cts4 DI
    Its normal. My engine ticks away as well. Just the sound of the fuel going through injectors at such a high pressure

dlpuette is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 AWD Performance Coupe, 2011 Harley ElectraGlide Limited

Re: 2008 cts clicking noise on top of engine

Interesting. Because my new-to-me 2013 Coupe does the same thing. I have an appointment tomorrow morning at the dealer about it, and a few other issues. It'll be interesting to hear what they say. It just doesn't sound normal to me. If they say it's normal I'll want them to fire up another 13 CTS to confirm they all do it. I'll let you know what happens.

dr2411 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 cts 3.6 DI
    I have an appointment at a dealership tomorrow as well. I thought I had read somewhere that with the DI that the sound is not unusual, but it seems to me that it is a little to loud and insidious. As with the sound the exhaust has when first started up. Thanks for the information, I'll post an update as soon as I hear some news!

Caddyman1154 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 cts4 DI
    Its normal on my 2011 coupe. Also my 08 CTS4 did it as well

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by dlpuette View Post
    Interesting. Because my new-to-me 2013 Coupe does the same thing. I have an appointment tomorrow morning at the dealer about it, and a few other issues. It'll be interesting to hear what they say. It just doesn't sound normal to me. If they say it's normal I'll want them to fire up another 13 CTS to confirm they all do it. I'll let you know what happens.
    Hello dlpuette,

I am sorry you are experiencing a clicking noise with your new to you 2013 Coupe. Please let us know how your dealer visit goes. Contact us via private message if you would like to further discuss your situation with us and would like our assistance.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

----------

Quote Originally Posted by dr2411 View Post
    I have an appointment at a dealership tomorrow as well. I thought I had read somewhere that with the DI that the sound is not unusual, but it seems to me that it is a little to loud and insidious. As with the sound the exhaust has when first started up. Thanks for the information, I'll post an update as soon as I hear some news!
    Hello dr2411,

I understand how a clicking noise on top of your engine is a concern. I am sorry for any inconvenience this is for you. I will be on the lookout for any updates after your dealer visit. If you would like to discuss your current concerns with us, please reach out via private message.

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

It is typical for a direct injection engine. My Audi does it as well.

jeffc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by tinman
    It is typical for a direct injection engine. My Audi does it as well.
    On the CTS engines, yes. What's odd is that my 2013 Lacrosse also has a DI engine and is surprisingly quiet. (it is the 3.6 V6 LFX engine) I was expecting the DI tick when I bought it too.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Interesting.

EVH5150 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe Premium: RWD, FE3 Suspension, 6-speed manual

Don't worry my friend it's just the Direct injection (high fuel pressure).

I have listened to other cars with direct injection and they all have that distinctive sound.

jeffc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium
    It must be something with the tuning of that engine IMO but I'm certainly not an engine expert.

Well its at the dealer now. I'm fully prepared for them to tell me it's the way it is.

It's also in there for the severe clunking and bucking the driveline does when I'm starting from a tight turn, but that's another thread!

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Well its at the dealer now. I'm fully prepared for them to tell me it's the way it is.

It's also in there for the severe clunking and bucking the driveline does when I'm starting from a tight turn, but that's another thread!
    Hello dlpuette,

Please let us know after you hear an update. If you would like to further discuss your concerns, contact us via private message.

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

Don't be disappointed when they tell you it's normal. They can start every CTS on the lot and you will hear that distinctive clicking. It is louder on some cars than others. I'm on my 4th CTS and to tell you the truth I don't even hear it anymore. I guess I just learned to tune it out.

Just talked to the dealer. Car is done and they, of course, said it's normal. I just never heard an engine be that noisy and evreything okay. Guess I have to readjust my engine ears!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.