Goodbye CTS, in with the new - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Goodbye CTS, in with the new in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by joekitch i am confused and a bit worried are you saying anecdotal evidence (what your friend told ...
    WRXtranceformed is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Goodbye CTS, in with the new

Quote Originally Posted by joekitch View Post
    i am confused and a bit worried
    are you saying anecdotal evidence (what your friend told you) is better and more reliable than objective evidence(what everyone else said, plus some experts on the topic)?
    thats not a good way to approach problems
    Not at all, I see where you are coming from. I am saying that you have to take surveys with a grain of salt and consider every resource out there when you are researching a car. I have bought and sold almost 15 personal cars. I will absolutely trust a group of enthusiasts who have owned various models of a specific make for years and years over old wives who drive a car their husband bought for them and fill out poor reliability surveys because they had to bring a car in for loose headliner clips. Consumer surveys can be good tools but its important to keep in mind who is actually filling them out and what skin in the game those survey companies have.

Car enthusiasts are usually brutally honest and are the first ones to tell you that the old school Jags were completely unreliable piles while the new ones are great cars. But like I said if people want to keep thinking they are unreliable that is fine with me. It will keep more of them off the road. Like any luxury car they are certainly not cheap to repair out of warranty or to maintain (XFs require a special oil blend only available at the dealer) so I have a feeling that will keep them off the road no matter what.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by MoFex View Post
    Congratulations!

It is kind of funny but my wife just informed me that my next car will be Jag.....and I will pay for that!

Enjoy you ride. It is not a bad choice.
    Get the new F-Type! You won't be sad with that decision....either with the supercharged V6, V8 or supercharged V8 They are all stupid quick and beautiful to look at.
    angelbones likes this.

99flhr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS

[QUOTE=WRXtranceformed (XFs require a special oil blend only available at the dealer) .[/QUOTE]

I agree with your choice of a new car.
    I agree with your well reasoned response regarding reliability.
    I question the proper oil having only one source.
    I am open to learning something new.
    Please elaborate.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by 99flhr View Post
    I agree with your choice of a new car.
    I agree with your well reasoned response regarding reliability.
    I question the proper oil having only one source.
    I am open to learning something new.
    Please elaborate.
    Thank you.
    Thanks! I was super skeptical too and I still am. It requires a very specific type of oil that meets the Ford spec 5w20 WSS-M2C925-A. There is a version of Mobile 1 that fits this requirement. The only oil Jaguar recommends is apparently only available at the dealer @ $9.00/quart: Castrol SLX Edge Professional OE

Some have said that the dealer will void any active warranties if this particular oil isn't used, some have said their dealer has been fine with their own oil they bring. I have not talked to my local dealer about this yet but I have never had an issue with using my own oil in any car. If I remember I will report back on what the dealer says.

And then there is this (from a Jaguar training manual posted on another forum):

· Stable viscosity for sustainable performance
    · Improved engine cleanliness and engine protection
    · Better ability to compensate for various driving styles

There are several features your new Jaguar customers should know about:

· The new Castrol oil, SLX Professional 5W-20, is the only oil recommended for the new 5.0L AJ V8 engines
    · A service reminder in the Message Center lets the driver know when it's time to change oil
    · Service Interval is every 15,000 miles or 12 months, whichever occurs first. It's important that your customers visit your Jaguar dealership yearly for annual service
    · The first scheduled maintenance service visit is Complimentary
    · Maintenance Interval Message automatically appears when it's time for service
    · Checking the oil level is simple using the built-in "digital dipstick" on the car's onboard computer. The new engine does not have a traditional dipstick

The Jaguar/Castrol co-engineered 5.0L engine 5W-20 synthetic motor oil is the only lubricant completely tested to be compatible with Jaguar’s new engine components and other fluids and sealants. No substitutions should be made as the warranty coverage requires the use of the proper Jaguar specified lubricant
    I'm not sure what to think so I am going to defer to my local dealer. I personally don't think that using another oil that meets the Ford requirement is going to hurt a thing in that engine but if there is a chance the dealer will void the warranty it's not worth the battle to me.

99flhr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS

[QUOTE=WRXtranceformed;11046257]
    Some have said that the dealer will void any active warranties if this particular oil isn't used, I personally don't think that using another oil that meets the Ford requirement is going to hurt a thing in that engine but if there is a chance the dealer will void the warranty

Assuming you are in the U.S. the Moss Magnusson Act makes this ^ illegal

The API designation for that Castrol is "SN" or ILSAC GF-5 Any other brand with those labels would qualify for warranty issues.
    The SN is available even in Mobils "dino" sourced products as well as synthetic

Thanks!

snofun3 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS4

Quote Originally Posted by joekitch View Post
    never said anything about benchmarks for reliability, thats a honda. just saying to be careful with a jag since by almost every standard, they will bite you, and are less reliable than a cts in most cases. you may get lucky in the long run, but expect the worst and hope for the best. And definately dont drive that poor cat like its a honda!
    Just FYI, I drive every car like I stole it. My 08 Grand Prix was fantastic, only losing its timing belt at 60k. My 04 Maxima was a trooper, never skipping a beat in 80k of getting beat on. My 94 Taurus was garbage, with the requisite cylinder head failure that Ford refused to address. My '10 XF always ran like a scalded cat, with only the aforementioned tranny modulator needing to be dealt with. With only a month of experience on my '12, what a dream - what a REAL luxury car should be. My 08 CTS was the worst car I've ever owned bar none, always in the shop for one issue or the other. Always.

Maybe you should get a little more experience in owning vehicles under your belt before you lecture others - just a thought. Did you know that the Renault Alliance was car of the year long before you were born? Do a little research on that and see exactly how accurate that would be, but maybe you should quote that too.

Some here have had great experience with the CTS, and I think that's a wonderful thing. If mine hadn't been such a demoralizing experience, I would still have it, as I loved the styling and interior layout. Many others have had the same experience I had if you spend a few minutes looking at the posts here, and notwithstanding reading some stilted magazine, making some claims after being here for a while should teach you something. Maybe.

Regarding your comment about the interior, let's see if maybe you can learn something. The interior is "traditional", which is in keeping with the general Jag experience - old-world luxury with today's state of the art performance. Right, the Caddy is very modern, and it suits the car perfectly. The Jag has a traditionally styled interior (including materials like REAL leather seats and door linings, REAL suede a-pillars and headliner and REAL wood accents), to go along with the timeless exterior styling, now completely copied by Tesla, Toyota Avalon and even Kia whatever.

Maybe you should look at the Jag classics of which there's myriad - XJ, XK-E, XK120, 150 and on and on and on. How many Caddies do you see at a concours, versus how many Jags. Yes, there's history and tradition that Jag is dealing with, which those of us that choose to buy them enjoy that history and like the look, much as I did with the new look of the Caddy.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by WRXtranceformed View Post
    Not at all, I see where you are coming from. I am saying that you have to take surveys with a grain of salt and consider every resource out there when you are researching a car. I have bought and sold almost 15 personal cars. I will absolutely trust a group of enthusiasts who have owned various models of a specific make for years and years over old wives who drive a car their husband bought for them and fill out poor reliability surveys because they had to bring a car in for loose headliner clips. Consumer surveys can be good tools but its important to keep in mind who is actually filling them out and what skin in the game those survey companies have.

Car enthusiasts are usually brutally honest and are the first ones to tell you that the old school Jags were completely unreliable piles while the new ones are great cars. But like I said if people want to keep thinking they are unreliable that is fine with me. It will keep more of them off the road. Like any luxury car they are certainly not cheap to repair out of warranty or to maintain (XFs require a special oil blend only available at the dealer) so I have a feeling that will keep them off the road no matter what.

----------

Get the new F-Type! You won't be sad with that decision....either with the supercharged V6, V8 or supercharged V8 They are all stupid quick and beautiful to look at.
    I drove the V8 F type. O.M.G.

Couldn't work for me though, as with an "active" lifestyle, with 7 cubic feet of storage space, it's just completely unpractical. That's the great thing about the XF, that with the folding rear seats, I can fit my ski bag (hence my screen name) into the car to go to the airport, along with tanks and (folding) kayaks for weekends in the Keys.

BTW, my dealer told me that there's serious talk of extending the wheelbase of the XK to make it into a Panamara type vehicle. Whoa!

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

Ok we get it, you moved on and are very happy. I wish you the very best and I'm sure you will be an asset to the Jag forums. I'm tired of these rants on which is the better car based on your experiences. I have owned more cars than I can remember and at the time, each was the best car ever put on the road and I consistently patted myself on the back for making such an informed decision. I was sure that each one would grow old with me, but not one has stayed as I constantly moved on to the next; best thing.
    Let's move on to CTS topics.
    rubenmer1, J W, snafu and 2 others like this.

snofun3 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS4

Quote Originally Posted by C "T" ess View Post
    Ok we get it, you moved on and are very happy.
    Let's move on to CTS topics.
    I'm trying to see if we can get the latest troll to understand some basic stuff.

And maybe when you want to move on to CTS topics, you might want to stay away from a thread entitled "Goodbye CTS, in the the new", right? Seems simple, no?

EVH5150 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe Premium: RWD, FE3 Suspension, 6-speed manual

Just get out of here!

You have a Jag and you're on a CADILLAC FORUM! Go play with your Jaguar buddies.
    Quote Originally Posted by snofun3 View Post
    I'm trying to see if we can get the latest troll to understand some basic stuff.

And maybe when you want to move on to CTS topics, you might want to stay away from a thread entitled "Goodbye CTS, in the the new", right? Seems simple, no?

----------

I am sure most of us could give a shit that you bought a Jaguar, we all drive Cadillac's not Jaguars and this is a Cadillac forum after all.

Quote Originally Posted by EVH5150 View Post
    Just get out of here!

You have a Jag and you're on a CADILLAC FORUM! Go play with your Jaguar buddies.

----------

I am sure most of us could give a shit that you bought a Jaguar, we all drive Cadillac's not Jaguars and this is a Cadillac forum after all.
    Looks like somebody fell out of the wrong side of the Maple Leaf this morning, eh? Don't be so salty kid, you're welcome for the helpful posts I've contributed to this forum over the last two years.
    bluefleetwood likes this.

MaxBuck is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 DI Blue Diamond

The discussion about Jaguar engine oil and the threatened voiding of warranty if different oil is used from the "preferred" Castrol has made me appreciate the Dexos designation by GM for use in the CTS. Made it a whole lot easier to shop for full-synthetic oil at Wal-Mart. Six quarts of Quaker State full syn with the Dexos label cost me less than 30 bucks.

So I appreciate the Jaguar owners' presence here. I'd have bought the XF had it been a bit less costly to find a low-mileage 4.0L, but no such luck. Very happy so far with the CTS that I found, but I still like hearing from others who either came to CTS from elsewhere or went elsewhere from their CTSes. These comparisons are very useful to many of us.
    WRXtranceformed and 99flhr like this.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXtranceformed
    Looks like somebody fell out of the wrong side of the Maple Leaf this morning, eh? Don't be so salty kid, you're welcome for the helpful posts I've contributed to this forum over the last two years.
    The issue is that snofun regularly posts here on how horrible his Cadillac experience has been. No one is doubting that, but you gotta wonder if he hated his Cadillac experience so much, why is he still here when he has moved on to such a superior product.
    rubenmer1, C "T" ess and EVH5150 like this.

EVH5150 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe Premium: RWD, FE3 Suspension, 6-speed manual

It's all good. My beef ain't with you, it's with people that purchase a different brand then come on our Cadillac forum and constantly bash Cadillac! I am sure most of us don't go on other car forums and shit all over their brand.
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXtranceformed View Post

I got ya! Yeah I mean I had some issues with my CTS but overall it was a good car. It served me pretty well! I think my wife misses it more than I do, she cried when they took it away on the trailer

Bullitt is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I can't imagine a British guy picking Cadillac over Jaguar. It should be like that in U.S. without a doubt (Americans buying American cars). But it isn't so and that's sad. Maybe if You had to pay additional 60% of a imported car value in taxes as we do in Europe, the situation would be different. However, I love the new XF (XJ not so much) and I always say If there was no CTS, it would be my choice. Enjoy it and remember about Caddy. Maybe as second car or something? Best Wishes.

DSNCB919 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac Seville 2003 Cadillac DTS 2010 DTS Platinum
    Ive never seen someone come on a forum trying to validate his purchase so much. To me it appears you are trying to feel good about spending alot of money you no longer have. Also I would never buy a first model any thing any brand unless I had to. Kind of an ignorant ranting forum that should be closed

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.