Swapping bits between CTS years (instrument panel, seats, ect), and where to source?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Swapping bits between CTS years (instrument panel, seats, ect), and where to source? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; so i know that recaros are super simple to swap into a base CTS premium due to identical wiring (has ...
    joekitch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Swapping bits between CTS years (instrument panel, seats, ect), and where to source?

so i know that recaros are super simple to swap into a base CTS premium due to identical wiring (has to be cts premium though, for yummy ventilated seats)...so long as you avoid the 2009 model year (different wiring for some reason?)

however the search function hasn't told me two things
    1) where do you find the seats? more specifically, what are some good ways to find totaled cadillac CTS-Vs? certain websites? call local salvage yards and hope you get lucky?
    2) can you swap things like the instrument panel? I REALLY LOVE the led chaser lights on the speedo and tachometer on the 2011+ CTS models, can i drop that into an older 08 cts? How would i tell if the plugs are different? are there parts diagrams which show the plug shapes in detail?

no seriously, those chaser leds are SO DAMN COOL
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn302yi2t4Y&t=1m45s
    not to mention the digital speedo is cool as well

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Swapping bits between CTS years (instrument panel, seats, ect), and where to sour

well i did some research and as far as i can tell, the instrument cluster have EXACTLY the same hookups between the cts-v and the cts

here's an 08-10 cluster
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/08-10-Cadill...-/360746189825
    and a 10 cts-v cluster
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-2010-Cadi...item4854f6bb88

both of those auctions have pictures of the rear of the cluster.....and they're exactly the same. same hookups, same locations, same bulbs, even the clips are the same!

only other obstacle might be dealer programming, i might be able to sneak something in by claiming the cluster "isn't working right" and getting them to reset it

Re: Swapping bits between CTS years (instrument panel, seats, ect), and where to sour

i've also just realized i have no idea where to start in order to find wrecked CTS-Vs, most auto parts places have their stuff inventoried but it's heavily segmented, so i can't just look for a wrecked CTS-V to pull the seats and speedo from,i have to search year-per-year and by specific options packages (power lumbar or no, cooled seats or no)

so, what do?

is250sp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe Premium RWD

try a search for "cts-v" on craigslist

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

Go on ebay and find a salvage yard offering CTS parts, then contact them and see if they have a V or will do a search for you. Also try LKQ, they are a nationwide salvage association and they can usually help out. Keep in mind, the more desirable the part the more you are going to pay for it, used or not.

BreakingThrough is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Thunder Gray '08 CTS 3.6 FE2 Premium

Huh didn't realize the V's had those LED chaser lights. Those ARE cool!

Quote Originally Posted by BreakingThrough View Post
    Huh didn't realize the V's had those LED chaser lights. Those ARE cool!
    Indeed, and after some research I determined the v's instrument cluster and the CTS' instrument cluster are completely identical in dimensions, plugs, and even clips
    They look exactly the same from anll angles when not turned on
    I think the v also has a digital speedometer, which is neat
    You can get one on eBayfor 150 to 200, and from parts websites for cheaper, but you have to make sure it came from a v series since there's really no telling them apart until they're hooked up.

Also recaro seats from the V on every model year except 2009 is a plug and play replacement for the CTS seats, as long as you have the premium CTS with seat cooling. Floor bolts are the same, plugs are the same too.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by joekitch
    Indeed, and after some research I determined the v's instrument cluster and the CTS' instrument cluster are completely identical in dimensions, plugs, and even clips They look exactly the same from anll angles when not turned on I think the v also has a digital speedometer, which is neat You can get one on eBayfor 150 to 200, and from parts websites for cheaper, but you have to make sure it came from a v series since there's really no telling them apart until they're hooked up. Also recaro seats from the V on every model year except 2009 is a plug and play replacement for the CTS seats, as long as you have the premium CTS with seat cooling. Floor bolts are the same, plugs are the same too.
    Actually doesn't the V cluster have a boost gauge instead if the oil pressure gauge?

jeffc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63
    Actually doesn't the V cluster have a boost gauge instead if the oil pressure gauge?
    Correct, the V has the boost gauge and the regular CTS has the oil pressure gauge...

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc83
    Correct, the V has the boost gauge and the regular CTS has the oil pressure gauge...
    So to the OP, it is not an easy swap. The boost gauge will be non-functional since the V6 versions do not have a supercharger.

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    So to the OP, it is not an easy swap. The boost gauge will be non-functional since the V6 versions do not have a supercharger.
    meh, i can live without it really
    i dont think i'd use any of the digital guages outside of the MPGs, miles to empty, and digital speedo anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by joekitch
    meh, i can live without it really i dont think i'd use any of the digital guages outside of the MPGs, miles to empty, and digital speedo anyway.
    It is an analog gauge not a digital one. On the V the boost gauge replaces the oil pressure gauge that is on the non-V models. Between and below the fuel and temp gauges. It has nothing to do with the DiC. I would also not assume it is simple replace. You may have to flash the body control computer. I have a Mustang and hang out in those forums. Ford made three interior trim levels for those cars (2005-2013) base, deluxe and premium. The premium level had full instrumentation (fuel, charge, temp and oil). There were guys with base and deluxe models who went to salvage yards and picked up a cluster from a premium model and were bummed when it wouldn't work. Apparently the computers weren't recognizing the cluster as belonging in the car. They had to go to the dealer to have them reflash the BCM to have it recognize the new part.

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    It is an analog gauge not a digital one. On the V the boost gauge replaces the oil pressure gauge that is on the non-V models. Between and below the fuel and temp gauges. It has nothing to do with the DiC. I would also not assume it is simple replace. You may have to flash the body control computer. I have a Mustang and hang out in those forums. Ford made three interior trim levels for those cars (2005-2013) base, deluxe and premium. The premium level had full instrumentation (fuel, charge, temp and oil). There were guys with base and deluxe models who went to salvage yards and picked up a cluster from a premium model and were bummed when it wouldn't work. Apparently the computers weren't recognizing the cluster as belonging in the car. They had to go to the dealer to have them reflash the BCM to have it recognize the new part.
    oh, an analogue oil pressure gauge wont be missed much. seeing a dead needle all the time isnt that bad either
    and yes i realize it requires a reflash at a dealer, i was expecting that from the get go. myproblem is more like "how much will it cost, and how do you get a dealer to do it?"

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Mod with resale in mind, others will not like a dead gauge.

Is selling it and getting the car you want out of the question?

Quote Originally Posted by conedoctor View Post
    Mod with resale in mind, others will not like a dead gauge.

Is selling it and getting the car you want out of the question?
    It will die a worthy death after a long life, not rotting on a dealer's lot, I'll tell you that much
    Also I mod the crap out of everything I own, in general.
    Shoot, once its engine and transmission have completely given up the ghost, I'll probably try to put some hub motors on the wheels and a giant battery pack in the engine bay, and make the car practically immortal

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.