Adding Remote Start on CTS? any way to know if its "remote start ready"?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Adding Remote Start on CTS? any way to know if its "remote start ready"? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I have a fully loaded 08 CTS, but the lack of remote start is bugging me. My searching on here ...
    arachnyd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Adding Remote Start on CTS? any way to know if its "remote start ready"?

I have a fully loaded 08 CTS, but the lack of remote start is bugging me.

My searching on here suggests there was no aftermarket support for remote start in 08 or 09, but I saw no remote start posts after early 09, and some said "DEI is releasing one soon". Its now 4 years later! Are there now aftermarket support options for the CTS? If so, does anyone know which ones?

Secondly, is there any way to know if your car is, like the manual says, "remote start ready"? I'm guessing mine isn't, but since its got every option and feature these cars can, I figured maybe its part of the other accessories (like the premium package or otherwise), or else it may be something that could be "added" if you bought the right parts. I know its not officially "Remote Start Ready" because sticks don't come with remote start, or else I'd already have it... urgh.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

conedoctor is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Re: Adding Remote Start on CTS? any way to know if its "remote start ready"?

Do a search it has been covered, from what I remember the 2011's were "ready" if it had heated seats, pre 2011 your one your own for aftermarket but it has been covered.

somedaycts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS4

^ That sounds about what I remember, too.

One of my Cadillac dealerships also offered aftermarket remote start installation. It was a little more expensive than going to a 3rd party, but it came with lifetime warranty and eliminated the "blame game" that might occur if the car had problems down the road.

rhigg1959 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I was told by my dealership that a remote start could not be added by my 08 due to computer issues. I couldn't accept that and purchased a remote start system from Bulldog Security and it works perfectly. I've had it for about 4 months now with no fail.

jeffc83 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium (SOLD) / 2013 XTS Luxury
    If your CTS is fully loaded, then you should have the remote start. (I did in my 08 ) Maybe your fobs were replaced with the non-remote start version???
    Mistercoffee2 likes this.

joekitch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

when i was researching the cts i called some places about remote starts
    if you have the keyless ignition thing, you should have remote start, although if you dont it can just be plugged in, its just an extra module. If you dealer says "no", call a different dealer. simple as that.
    however, aftermarket wise, apparently compustar makes one for the cts
    and the module+installation is only $300, not that bad actually.
    however keep in mind remote start isn't useful unless you can access it over long distances, so if you're parked way away form your work place you can still start the car ten minutes early or whatever to warm it up

so that end you'll need something called drone mobile, which basically plugs into your compustar unit and lets to start the car/unlock the doors/sound the horn over a cell phone data connection.
    the downside? the drone mobile unit costs $250. comes with a free year of service for it but it's $100 yearly thereafter

so you're looking at $550 to get a worthwhile remote start, yikes.

personally i'll be jury-rigging a system using an arduino with a GSM shield, and a custom app on my phone that just shoots text messages to the arduino embedded in my car's trunk, and it'll just fire some servos that click the remote start button on my second keyfob also embedded in the trunk. The key fob will be just far enough away that it wont allow for keyless entry or ignition, but still inside the car. hiding it wont be difficult. Replacement fobs cost maybe $50 on ebay and you can program them yourself

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by joekitch
    when i was researching the cts i called some places about remote starts if you have the keyless ignition thing, you should have remote start, although if you dont it can just be plugged in, its just an extra module. If you dealer says "no", call a different dealer. simple as that. however, aftermarket wise, apparently compustar makes one for the cts and the module+installation is only $300, not that bad actually. however keep in mind remote start isn't useful unless you can access it over long distances, so if you're parked way away form your work place you can still start the car ten minutes early or whatever to warm it up so that end you'll need something called drone mobile, which basically plugs into your compustar unit and lets to start the car/unlock the doors/sound the horn over a cell phone data connection. the downside? the drone mobile unit costs $250. comes with a free year of service for it but it's $100 yearly thereafter so you're looking at $550 to get a worthwhile remote start, yikes. personally i'll be jury-rigging a system using an arduino with a GSM shield, and a custom app on my phone that just shoots text messages to the arduino embedded in my car's trunk, and it'll just fire some servos that click the remote start button on my second keyfob also embedded in the trunk. The key fob will be just far enough away that it wont allow for keyless entry or ignition, but still inside the car. hiding it wont be difficult. Replacement fobs cost maybe $50 on ebay and you can program them yourself
    I looked into this for my son and his car. He has a 2009 Mazda 6 Grand Touring S with push button start.

The installer I spoke to was going to go the Compustar route as they are among the best. You have options with range. The base version only gets you about 300 ft of range. You could upgrade for extended range (can't remember how far, but I think it rivaled or surpassed OEM. They install an antenna on the windshield.

You can even go the mobile app route like the OnStar app, which gives you unlimited range, but that requires a subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    You can even go the mobile app route like the OnStar app, which gives you unlimited range, but that requires a subscription.
    a subscription AND the module, which is, again, $250.....on top of your remote start.

Still it could be worse. european cars are almost impossible to install remote starts on, the electricals are complete nonsense. Buy american or japanese if you want to mod your car electrically

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by joekitch
    a subscription AND the module, which is, again, $250.....on top of your remote start. Still it could be worse. european cars are almost impossible to install remote starts on, the electricals are complete nonsense. Buy american or japanese if you want to mod your car electrically
    Yeah, the installer said BMWs are almost impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    Yeah, the installer said BMWs are almost impossible.
    oh lord nothing's impossible for a car electronics installer, it's just how much money you're willing to give him.
    ballpark? remote start on a bmw, any bmw, is $1000 at minimum

Quote Originally Posted by conedoctor View Post
    Do a search it has been covered, from what I remember the 2011's were "ready" if it had heated seats, pre 2011 your one your own for aftermarket but it has been covered.
    anyone want to offer search tips?

I've searched and I find a bunch of them from 08-09 discussing there being no options "yet", then in 10 I see a mention of there being a dealer installed one for $800, then in '11 I see mention of the cars being ready and it being something you can do at home, but I never saw any retroactive mentions of 08-09s which aren't "ready" getting aftermarket remote start. I've installed remote start myself in my last few cars, but if I have to take it to a shop I will!

Quote Originally Posted by rhigg1959 View Post
    I was told by my dealership that a remote start could not be added by my 08 due to computer issues. I couldn't accept that and purchased a remote start system from Bulldog Security and it works perfectly. I've had it for about 4 months now with no fail.
    Can you tell me which one you put in? I read all over the place that "most" remote starts don't work, so if you have one that works I'd love to know which one it is!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc83 View Post
    If your CTS is fully loaded, then you should have the remote start. (I did in my 08 ) Maybe your fobs were replaced with the non-remote start version???
    Mines a manual transmission. The autos have it, but the manuals- even fully loaded- do not. (last sentence of my post said "with these options most come with remote start but sticks do not".

Quote Originally Posted by joekitch View Post
    when i was researching the cts i called some places about remote starts
    if you have the keyless ignition thing, you should have remote start, although if you dont it can just be plugged in, its just an extra module. If you dealer says "no", call a different dealer. simple as that.
    however, aftermarket wise, apparently compustar makes one for the cts
    and the module+installation is only $300, not that bad actually.
    however keep in mind remote start isn't useful unless you can access it over long distances, so if you're parked way away form your work place you can still start the car ten minutes early or whatever to warm it up
    I've never had the long distance issue. If it can do 20 feet I'm happy. The only time I need it is from my house to my driveway, and my bathroom is about 15 feet from my car. I had remote start on my last DD and it was about 150/200 ft range and never once did I want to start it but not be able to, but I guess I can see for a lot of people that can be an issue.

Since I have a manual transmission, maybe I'll hunt down this module and plug it in. Anyone know if it works fine with the sticks? I'm sure they didn't waste their time and money making it "inoperable" for the sticks, it probably just doesn't have a neutral check switch, but I've gone 10 years of my life without one and never had an issue so I'm not too worried about that. Otherwise, I can certainly check out Compustar. Thanks for the recommendation!

jeffc83 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium (SOLD) / 2013 XTS Luxury
    ^^^Makes perfect sense...was worth a shot as I'm sure it's happened before

Quote Originally Posted by arachnyd View Post

Since I have a manual transmission, maybe I'll hunt down this module and plug it in. Anyone know if it works fine with the sticks? I'm sure they didn't waste their time and money making it "inoperable" for the sticks, it probably just doesn't have a neutral check switch, but I've gone 10 years of my life without one and never had an issue so I'm not too worried about that. Otherwise, I can certainly check out Compustar. Thanks for the recommendation!
    just google maps search for "automotive electronics", and call someone nearby. Some of them will sell you to equipment to install yourself but you'll have to go to them to get it programmed, apparently only dealers have access to their special website which has the firmware for the bypass module

also, i might be wrong, but i dont think remote start is possible with a manual transmission?
    actually wait no

I've had remote start on a LOT of manual cars.

If I have a shop do it they have to do some rediculous bypass (like "start the car before you get out to make sure its in neutral"). Thats why I like to install it myself, because then I don't have to take those precautions. I just wire the check switch to the ebrake and the switch you have in a lawnmower to block reverse, and install it on the shifter, so it won't work if the cars in "R" (I park it in R)

I've never had a problem ordering them online and installing them, but I guess these new caddys are extra complex.. haha. Hopefully someone will chime in who put the factory system on their stick, otherwise maybe I can get a verified aftermarket model that has successfully been installed on these!

rhigg1959 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

This is the one I used from Bulldog Security. So far no issues. Installation was $115.00

Model RS1200B Remote Starter with Keyless Entry and Trunk Release

129.99 (USD)

129.99 (USD)

Model DB-ALL Vehicle Interface Module

94.99 (USD)

94.99 (USD)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.