wannabe a CTS owner scared by oil burning reports
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gohawks63
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, wannabe a CTS owner scared by oil burning reports in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Hello folks : I am looking to get out of my Chrysler Crossfire soft top for a nice handling, sporty ...
    bsadams is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

wannabe a CTS owner scared by oil burning reports

Hello folks : I am looking to get out of my Chrysler Crossfire soft top for a nice handling, sporty 4 seater. I drove an '06 CTS 3.6L and liked the ride but not so the interior. I read that the '08 and beyond have better interiors and was going to look at one when I came across several complaints online about heavy oil consumption... any notes about this would be appreciated.... bsadams

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Re: wannabe a CTS owner scared by oil burning reports

Lets move this to the CTS forum where you may get more help.

angelbones is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 Crystal Red CTS Coupe

I don't follow the Gen I CTS forum, but I am not aware of any oil consumption issues in the Gen II CTS (08-13). If you can swing it, I would definitely go Gen II, and in particular 2010 or later. If you peruse the forum, you will find many, but not all, had issues with the 2008 and some 2009s.

dandunham is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS performance mdl 3.6L

I believe early 08's had the issue ever so often but I think you are safe with a 10 or later. My 11 has no issues at all. I really love the interior of the 08 - 13. My opinion but it looks better than the new CTS. these are very customizable cars so pay close attention to the features list. I have the performance model with Navi, that has the harder FE2 suspension and the heated and cooled seats. you might not like the harder suspension and seats in that model so make sure you drive several options. I have rear wheel only that I prefer but you might like the all wheel drive version so make sure you compare those options if it matters to you. the technology in the car is a bit dated but over all works fairly well. there is a base and premium option for the audio system so compare that as well. have fun and I hope to see you hear soon

The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

I had a 2008 CTS for three years and have been driving a 2011 CTS for the last two years, and I've never had a problem with excessive oil consumption.

Twentybucks is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Luxury Black Raven

I've been driving my 10 CTS4 since last February and did my first oil change last weekend. I've used very very little oil since last February, probably a quart and a half if that. Hope that helps.

jimmie jam is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS LUXE

I did have an 05 3.6 that suddenly started to use alot of oil at about 50,000 and 5 years. I replaced that car with a 2011 3.0 and @ about 17,000 miles now, no issues (the 3.0's never had an issue that i know of). A friend purchased a 09 3.6 not quite a year ago and it eats oil. You would think that GM would address this issue by now. I did...just bought the 3.0 (which has about 20+-HP more than my old 3.6). FWIW.

tinman is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Do they burn oil? I believe some do, but not all. And what is deemed "excessive"? That being said, just pay attention to your oil level like you should anyway. These seem to be strong engines on the whole. As others have said, try to get a 2010 or later model.

arachnyd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Excessive is relative. Your 3.2L in that crossfire is known for overheating issues, but how rare does that actually occur?

My brand new 2010 Camaro SS burned 1.5 quarts of oil every 3500 miles. That sounds excessive to me, however, I did a consumption test with the dealership and they said "less than 2 quarts is within spec".

The BMW 3-Series, which I think is a competitor to the CTS although others disagree, treats oil like a consumable. While you only have to complete an oil change about once a year, every so often a light pops up that tells you to add another quart of oil, maybe 2-3 times a year. This is a regular part of BMW ownership, and is not considered "increased consumption".

Anyone who has a rotary engine knows that oil is like gasoline on those cars

I've heard no real complaints about the 3.6L DI, so you can certainly feel safe looking for that motor. The issues are few and far between on the other standard 3.6L also. Every car has its issues.

In '10 they got rid of rainsense, which I think is an essential feature, so I recommend the 08-09s with the 3.6L DI motor. The DI is worth it for so many more reasons than the durability. The 3.6L DI in an 08-09 is identical to the one in '10+, so is the transmission, so I don't know what the huffing and puffing is about with the '10+. Really the discussion would be the LLT or LF1 instead of the LY7 motor. The LY7 (base 3.6L) is the same motor that is in the first gens, so really even that motor has proven itself pretty durable, although the 3.0L (LF1) and the LY7 (non-DI 3.6L) tend to get more of a knock for a lack of torque where its needed over reliability concerns. The LLT (3.6L DI) is the same motor 08-13, and seems to be both very reliable and has the right amount of power and torque with better fuel economy than the LY7 (304 HP/273 lb-ft torque). In short, don't be afraid of 08-09s. I'd choose an '09 LLT over a '10 LF1 in a heartbeat.

Its pretty easy to tell if its burning excess oil. Look at the tailpipe emissions. If you get some noticeable blue smoke out of a tailpipe, don't buy it. If not, your probably not using "excess oil" even if some people "complain" about having to add a quart every few thousand miles. Thats normal for many MANY (if not MOST) cars out there on extended oil change intervals. Change your oil every 3500 miles if you don't want to monitor it like you should.

In short, the 3.6L in the caddy- even the base- has less problems than the 3.2L in your Crossfire, so if you were happy with that motor, you'll be happy with these. I used to own one so I am partial to that motor and thought it was solid, but that doesn't mean there aren't any issues. You can be paranoid about something with every car (can someone find me ANY car EVER made that doesn't have some "concern"?)The interior in the 2nd gen is night vs. day compared to the first gen. I like the first gen and was comparing a CTS-V to a base CTS 2nd gen (about hte same price). The new one drove better, looked better, and the interior on the CTS is one of the nicest I've seen on any car. Go jump in one, especially as the prices are dropping pretty quick on non-CPOs with the new generation coming out in about 2 weeks.

Good Luck!

----------

Quote Originally Posted by jimmie jam View Post
    I did have an 05 3.6 that suddenly started to use alot of oil at about 50,000 and 5 years. I replaced that car with a 2011 3.0 and @ about 17,000 miles now, no issues (the 3.0's never had an issue that i know of). A friend purchased a 09 3.6 not quite a year ago and it eats oil. You would think that GM would address this issue by now. I did...just bought the 3.0 (which has about 20+-HP more than my old 3.6). FWIW.
    I keep hearing people say the '09 3.6, or the '08 3.6. There were 2 motors that were both 3.6 and they were very different motors. The 3.6L DI in '08 is the same as the one in '13, and is not the same one in the first gen. The non DI 3.6 on the other hand carried over until '09 as the base engine. 3.6L means nothing in 08 and 09 because both motors were 3.6L!

I ASSUME your talking about the non DI 09. The 09 DI has 35 HP more than your 3.0L.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by arachnyd
    Excessive is relative. Your 3.2L in that crossfire is known for overheating issues, but how rare does that actually occur? My brand new 2010 Camaro SS burned 1.5 quarts of oil every 3500 miles. That sounds excessive to me, however, I did a consumption test with the dealership and they said "less than 2 quarts is within spec". The BMW 3-Series, which I think is a competitor to the CTS although others disagree, treats oil like a consumable. While you only have to complete an oil change about once a year, every so often a light pops up that tells you to add another quart of oil, maybe 2-3 times a year. This is a regular part of BMW ownership, and is not considered "increased consumption". Anyone who has a rotary engine knows that oil is like gasoline on those cars I've heard no real complaints about the 3.6L DI, so you can certainly feel safe looking for that motor. The issues are few and far between on the other standard 3.6L also. Every car has its issues. In '10 they got rid of rainsense, which I think is an essential feature, so I recommend the 08-09s with the 3.6L DI motor. The DI is worth it for so many more reasons than the durability. The 3.6L DI in an 08-09 is identical to the one in '10+, so is the transmission, so I don't know what the huffing and puffing is about with the '10+. Really the discussion would be the LLT or LF1 instead of the LY7 motor. The LY7 (base 3.6L) is the same motor that is in the first gens, so really even that motor has proven itself pretty durable, although the 3.0L (LF1) and the LY7 (non-DI 3.6L) tend to get more of a knock for a lack of torque where its needed over reliability concerns. The LLT (3.6L DI) is the same motor 08-13, and seems to be both very reliable and has the right amount of power and torque with better fuel economy than the LY7 (304 HP/273 lb-ft torque). In short, don't be afraid of 08-09s. I'd choose an '09 LLT over a '10 LF1 in a heartbeat. Its pretty easy to tell if its burning excess oil. Look at the tailpipe emissions. If you get some noticeable blue smoke out of a tailpipe, don't buy it. If not, your probably not using "excess oil" even if some people "complain" about having to add a quart every few thousand miles. Thats normal for many MANY (if not MOST) cars out there on extended oil change intervals. Change your oil every 3500 miles if you don't want to monitor it like you should. In short, the 3.6L in the caddy- even the base- has less problems than the 3.2L in your Crossfire, so if you were happy with that motor, you'll be happy with these. I used to own one so I am partial to that motor and thought it was solid, but that doesn't mean there aren't any issues. You can be paranoid about something with every car (can someone find me ANY car EVER made that doesn't have some "concern"?)The interior in the 2nd gen is night vs. day compared to the first gen. I like the first gen and was comparing a CTS-V to a base CTS 2nd gen (about hte same price). The new one drove better, looked better, and the interior on the CTS is one of the nicest I've seen on any car. Go jump in one, especially as the prices are dropping pretty quick on non-CPOs with the new generation coming out in about 2 weeks. Good Luck! ---------- I keep hearing people say the '09 3.6, or the '08 3.6. There were 2 motors that were both 3.6 and they were very different motors. The 3.6L DI in '08 is the same as the one in '13, and is not the same one in the first gen. The non DI 3.6 on the other hand carried over until '09 as the base engine. 3.6L means nothing in 08 and 09 because both motors were 3.6L! I ASSUME your talking about the non DI 09. The 09 DI has 35 HP more than your 3.0L.
    Rainsense was added again in 2012 and Hp I the 3.6 increase to 318
    arachnyd likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    Rainsense was added again in 2012 and Hp I the 3.6 increase to 318
    Good to know about the rainsense!

The HP increase in '12 is a mixed bag. It increased because of the integrated manifold, which prevents the use of LT headers if your a performance seaker, although for most cadillac owners its all positives!

somedaycts is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS4

Quote Originally Posted by arachnyd View Post
    The 3.6L DI in '08 is the same as the one in '13, and is not the same one in the first gen. The non DI 3.6 on the other hand carried over until '09 as the base engine.
    There was never a DI motor for first gen. LY7 (non-DI) was introduced for the 2004 CTS, and as you state was carryover for 08-09 CTS. LLT (DI) was introduced on the 2008 2nd gen CTS. For 2012+, LLT has been replaced with LFX. LFX is based on LLT, just as LLT was based on LY7, but they are not the same engine.

-----

My 09 LY7 (3.6L non-DI) used a quart every 3k miles. I kept a quart in the trunk and added oil as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by somedaycts View Post
    There was never a DI motor for first gen. LY7 (non-DI) was introduced for the 2004 CTS, and as you state was carryover for 08-09 CTS. LLT (DI) was introduced on the 2008 2nd gen CTS. For 2012+, LLT has been replaced with LFX. LFX is based on LLT, just as LLT was based on LY7, but they are not the same engine.
    Valid point on the LLT vs LFX, thanks for bringing it up. It is a further updated engine, but neither have reports of excess oil usage or abnormal failures of any type. both are considered great engines and neither should anyone avoid IMHO.

If there is anything to be fearful of it would be the timing issue which appears to be most severe on the LY7, but to an extent plagues the LLT and LFX. '10 saw external updates on the LLT, but it looks like minor cost cutting and no reliability changes, as the same concerns are big on the 2010-2013 Camaro, which never received the 08-09 variation, and all use the same timing chains.

I was attempting to address the difference in 3.6L engines because it seemed like most posts were lumping the two together, and then I equally lumped the LFX with the LLT, so thanks for correcting me.

Quote Originally Posted by somedaycts View Post
    My 09 LY7 (3.6L non-DI) used a quart every 3k miles. I kept a quart in the trunk and added oil as needed.
    This sounds reasonable, and per the OP's question, I would not consider that excessive oil use. Thats about the same as what my BMW 3 series does, which is technically a smaller motor.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by arachnyd
    Valid point on the LLT vs LFX, thanks for bringing it up. It is a further updated engine, but neither have reports of excess oil usage or abnormal failures of any type. both are considered great engines and neither should anyone avoid IMHO. If there is anything to be fearful of it would be the timing issue which appears to be most severe on the LY7, but to an extent plagues the LLT and LFX. '10 saw external updates on the LLT, but it looks like minor cost cutting and no reliability changes, as the same concerns are big on the 2010-2013 Camaro, which never received the 08-09 variation, and all use the same timing chains. I was attempting to address the difference in 3.6L engines because it seemed like most posts were lumping the two together, and then I equally lumped the LFX with the LLT, so thanks for correcting me. This sounds reasonable, and per the OP's question, I would not consider that excessive oil use. Thats about the same as what my BMW 3 series does, which is technically a smaller motor.
    I am not aware of timing chain issues with the LFX.

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    I am not aware of timing chain issues with the LFX.
    I haven't heard many complaints about them on the Cadillac forums, except for mentions that it "wasn't improved" on the LFX (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums.../t-262577.html) but the Camaro Forums on the other hand seem to have as many issues with the LFX as the LLT (which isn't a lot). They use the same timing chain also. Most the issues seem to be with potentially a "bad batch" of timing chains based on what I read, but there seems to be a number of LFX owners which have had to replace their timing chains extremely early just like the LLT reports, but neither seem serious enough to be an epidemic, as they seem pretty rare, more of a few people having nagging issues. (Just like the Camaro SS had a few people run into drive-shaft failures due to manufacturing defects).

I wouldn't call it an "issue" either, but I wouldn't call the oil consumption an "issue" either, both more like observations for the inquisite type. The 1/1000 who have an issue are just very vocal... haha.

The moral of the story is simple. Nothing to worry about on these motors, unless your OCD, and then you can overanalyze minute concerns.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.