Quick Honest Review of the NA BMW 3 Series vs. NA Cadillac CTS 4 door "sport sedans" - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree14Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Quick Honest Review of the NA BMW 3 Series vs. NA Cadillac CTS 4 door "sport sedans" in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Although this thread has started going in a different direction, I like the discussion, and would offer my own humble ...
    angelbones is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe (formerly)

Re: Quick Honest Review of the NA BMW 3 Series vs. NA Cadillac CTS 4 door "sport seda

Although this thread has started going in a different direction, I like the discussion, and would offer my own humble opinion regarding looks of cars made starting in the 2000s as it pertains to CTS competition. First, totally agree that the GEN II CTS still looks great when compared to the BMW, MB, Audi, Infiniti, & Lexus. My points will be geared towards coupes since that is what I have and what I know more about but I believe the same can be said for the sedan counterparts as well.

Let me start with the worst first. To me Lexus looks has been down hill since the 90s. I do see some promising concepts but nothing on the road yet (LFA aside). Then the Infiniti. The G35, then G37 were and are the CTS competition. Honestly, I really liked the G35/37 coupe when it came out, but to me it didn't have the luxury the Caddy had and it felt like a Nissan with a few extras that weren't worth the increase. Furthermore, the G37 now looks outdated, unlike our CTS. The Benz competition, the C-class and possibly the E-class looks wise has been up and down for me. The early 2000s were still the same boring look as older MBs (I know some like the classic MB look but I was never a fan of that boxy look). Then the mid-2000s, I really liked the looks especially since they were emulating the Mclaren look. Then the end of the decade they seemed to get boring again. However, I do see promise with them with the newest models. But I think the point is made their styling comes and goes. Next would be BMW. Never a fan of the looks of any BMWs made before the 2000s. Really wasn't until the mid-2000s that I started liking their looks. The looks has sort of improved but I must say I don't know if it's because I see way too many of them or if they have just gotten boring, but I have gone from seriously considering that as an option to no how, no way. The 3-series coupe still looks "OK" but compared to the CTS it doesn't even come close in the looks department. I was hoping for more when the 4-series came out but it still looks like the same old same old. Now, of course, this is only IMHO, but I think when it comes to looks out of all these, the A5 is the best comparison. To me it still looks good and it is about as old as our gen II CTS.

Each of these will have pros and cons in lots of other areas so I wanted to limit my post to the subjective opinion about a car's looks and its long term appeal. I've said it before and will surely say it again, my CTS coupe is still one of the best looking cars out there at ANY price, and hopefully in 20 years we'll be comparing it to the nostalgia cars they brought back like the Camaro, Mustang, Challenger, etc.
    RAB likes this.

EVH5150 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe Premium: RWD, FE3 Suspension, 6-speed manual

Re: Quick Honest Review of the NA BMW 3 Series vs. NA Cadillac CTS 4 door "sport seda

Agree with everything you said. Good post my friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelbones View Post
    Although this thread has started going in a different direction, I like the discussion, and would offer my own humble opinion regarding looks of cars made starting in the 2000s as it pertains to CTS competition. First, totally agree that the GEN II CTS still looks great when compared to the BMW, MB, Audi, Infiniti, & Lexus. My points will be geared towards coupes since that is what I have and what I know more about but I believe the same can be said for the sedan counterparts as well.

Let me start with the worst first. To me Lexus looks has been down hill since the 90s. I do see some promising concepts but nothing on the road yet (LFA aside). Then the Infiniti. The G35, then G37 were and are the CTS competition. Honestly, I really liked the G35/37 coupe when it came out, but to me it didn't have the luxury the Caddy had and it felt like a Nissan with a few extras that weren't worth the increase. Furthermore, the G37 now looks outdated, unlike our CTS. The Benz competition, the C-class and possibly the E-class looks wise has been up and down for me. The early 2000s were still the same boring look as older MBs (I know some like the classic MB look but I was never a fan of that boxy look). Then the mid-2000s, I really liked the looks especially since they were emulating the Mclaren look. Then the end of the decade they seemed to get boring again. However, I do see promise with them with the newest models. But I think the point is made their styling comes and goes. Next would be BMW. Never a fan of the looks of any BMWs made before the 2000s. Really wasn't until the mid-2000s that I started liking their looks. The looks has sort of improved but I must say I don't know if it's because I see way too many of them or if they have just gotten boring, but I have gone from seriously considering that as an option to no how, no way. The 3-series coupe still looks "OK" but compared to the CTS it doesn't even come close in the looks department. I was hoping for more when the 4-series came out but it still looks like the same old same old. Now, of course, this is only IMHO, but I think when it comes to looks out of all these, the A5 is the best comparison. To me it still looks good and it is about as old as our gen II CTS.

Each of these will have pros and cons in lots of other areas so I wanted to limit my post to the subjective opinion about a car's looks and its long term appeal. I've said it before and will surely say it again, my CTS coupe is still one of the best looking cars out there at ANY price, and hopefully in 20 years we'll be comparing it to the nostalgia cars they brought back like the Camaro, Mustang, Challenger, etc.

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by EVH5150 View Post
    Agree with everything you said. Good post my friend.
    ^ And I agree with you.

Angelbones.. I must admit the production version of the 4-series is a little disappointing, as BMW decided to water down the original terrific look of the concept car. I still like it though.. and would certainly have no problem driving/owning one if a copy suddenly materialized in my driveway. Santa, please make it an M4.
    The Audi A5 is a sharp car, and yes still looks good 5-6 years on. Similar to the 2nd gen CTS it also resists ageing. The Audi A5 in Europe (as well as down here in Australia where I'm presently located) is available as a Coupe, Cabriolet or 4-door Sportback, which I think is my favorite iteration of the car. I have no idea why Audi doesn't market the A5 Sportback in North America. Must be because of the general aversion by many (in N.A.) to hatchbacks, however I believe that attitude/stigma is slowly changing there. The hatchback design concept is hugely popular in Australia.

ctspremium is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by arachnyd
    Cadillac fan-boys don't seem as bad as BMW fan boys frankly! I'll give Cadillac that! Everyone always thinks "Their car" is the best though. I think the CTS is a great car. I love owning it, and I prefer driving it as a Daily Driver over the BMW for the interior comfort and ammenities, as well as the looks. The CTS has a lot going for it. I like what the Bengals announcer said yesterday (Yes, I'm a Bengals Fan). He said, "There's a lot to criticize the bengals about, but only family can do it. Your a bengals fan, so your family, and there's a lot this family needs to talk about". No one wants to hear CTS Criticisms from a BMW owner (or frankly, BMW criticisms from a CTS owner) or mercedes or anything else. However, I wanted to offer this up because "I'm family". Its good to analyze and evauate from the inside. Its how you learn, and its how you improve.
    I will agree with "Arachnyd", and I am a long time GM supporter. Way back I was a drag strip & street racer. All different GM vehicles since the early seventies. I own a 2013 CTS Premium Coupe at the present. Prior to the CTS, I owned varied models of GM products. IMHO, based on usage, performance, comfort and price structure, I favor GM hands down. No offense, but you can idolize the imports, I stay with home-grown.

MaxBuck is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 DI Blue Diamond

After my first long-distance drive in the CTS (about 800 miles RT), let me amend my commentary comparing the car to my previous BMW 5-series. The CTS is every bit as comfortable a long-distance cruiser, and I found the AWD system to improve the subjective feeling of stability on the West Virginia turnpike and on twisty mountain roads in Tennessee. It was a real pleasure the entire trip, and overall fuel mileage exceeded 25 mpg. Very positive experience!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.