Quick Honest Review of the NA BMW 3 Series vs. NA Cadillac CTS 4 door "sport sedans" - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Quick Honest Review of the NA BMW 3 Series vs. NA Cadillac CTS 4 door "sport sedans" in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by 99flhr Not a fan boy but I will opine that the the BMW I-6 is more refined ...
    gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by 99flhr
    Not a fan boy but I will opine that the the BMW I-6 is more refined than any V-6 I have ever driven. (P.S. I have no "credentials", was unaware they were a requirement to have a subjective opinion)
    I agree we have an X5 and that turbo inline 6 is sweet!

billeee is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS 2012 CTS

Re: Quick Honest Review of the NA BMW 3 Series vs. NA Cadillac CTS 4 door "sport seda

I agree with the conclusions in the original post. However, when I bought my CTS I wasn't expecting a 3 series clone and I don't think it's valid to compare the two vehicles. If you want something that feels and handles more like a 3 series you need to look at the ATS.
    99flhr and arachnyd like this.

dlpuette is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 AWD Performance Coupe, 2011 Harley ElectraGlide Limited

Re: Quick Honest Review of the NA BMW 3 Series vs. NA Cadillac CTS 4 door "sport seda

Funny this should come up. I just traded my 06 BMW 330i 6sp manual in for a 13 CTS Performance Coupe. So I'm real familiar with both cars. Sadly, the Caddy doesn't offer a real transmission on the CTS (non V) any more, so there's some things that don't translate. No question the BMW was much more of a sports car than the CTS. But it was meant to be. Mine had the sport package with lower suspension. staggered wheels etc. It handled like a true sports car. But the CTS was never meant to be a sports car. It's emphasis is far more on luxury and I accept that.

One area I have to disagree with the OP is on the Bluetooth. My bimmer's bluetooth sounded awful to the people I called! I was really pleasently surprised at how good the set up in the CTS sounds! I had my wife call me from the car and it sounded like she was holding the phone in her hand. The BMW did have more data and was friendlier by a longshot, but when your callers are telling you that you sound like you're at the end of a tunnel, it just sucks. Many asked me to transfer to the phone so they could hear what I was saying.

They are for sure two very different cars serving different customers. The new CTS is supposedly to do battle with the 5 series, while the ATS is to take on the BMW 3. I haven't driven either of the new Caddy's but from what I read, they're doing a decent job.

Just my .02
    99flhr and arachnyd like this.

99flhr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    I agree we have an X5 and that turbo inline 6 is sweet!
    Have no experience with turbocharged BMW`s but as the OP was talking N/A engines I felt inclined to comment having previously owned a 2.5 & 2.8. "Sweet" is an excellent descriptor

angelbones is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe (formerly)

To the OP, I have no problem with you making comparisons. I find them interesting, as I like hearing others take on other vehicles. I did have one quibble though. You said that you were comparing an M-sport 3-series to the CTS premium. While the BMW certainly will have advantages regardless, I do think that if your CTS was optioned with the Summer Performance Tire package, the CTS may equal or beat the BMW in its driving experience. That comes with the FE3 suspension which is firmer and would help make up for the CTS weight disadvantage. Actually, performance wise one car that rarely gets mentioned is the Infiniti G37. It would certainly beat the CTS and probably tie or beat the BMW, but after test driving that and the BMW before I bought my CTS, the Infiniti just didn't have the right feel to it. Not better or worse, just not right (for me, I suppose). There's my .02, so I think we're getting close to a dollar now.
    arachnyd likes this.

monogram124 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I agree with angelbones. I have a CTS premium with the touring & summer tire packages. The FE3 suspension feels tight & firm with quick steering response. There is little understeer or lag. It feels planted to the road & is so much fun to drive on twisty roads. The recaro seats also provide excellent support now that they've worn a little.
    Having driven a CTS luxury loaner, the difference is night & day.

arachnyd is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by billeee View Post
    I agree with the conclusions in the original post. However, when I bought my CTS I wasn't expecting a 3 series clone and I don't think it's valid to compare the two vehicles. If you want something that feels and handles more like a 3 series you need to look at the ATS.
    I think its valid because I know a number of CTS and BMW owners- including at least one other person on this thread-that did it!

We certainly "compared" the two, and each has benefits and weaknesses. The ATS on paper seems to beat out the 3 series, but the problem is the ATS never overlapped the e90 BMW. The ATS overlaps the F30, so frankly, it will be a rare occaison to compare the ATS with an e90 3 series. The CTS is the proper comparison point to the e90 3 series because they were sold at a comparable price and have a comparible resale, and fall under the same price points of used buyers.

With new cars, your right, the 2014 CTS is not going to be compared to an F30 3 series BMW- The CTS is going up in price by 6k, and will be aimed squarely at the 5 series. The ATS has emerged to compete with the F30 BMW. The dynamics have totally changed moving forward.

This is why I think this review has merit, and the entire climate is changing with the new versions of each car.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by angelbones View Post
    To the OP, I have no problem with you making comparisons. I find them interesting, as I like hearing others take on other vehicles. I did have one quibble though. You said that you were comparing an M-sport 3-series to the CTS premium. While the BMW certainly will have advantages regardless, I do think that if your CTS was optioned with the Summer Performance Tire package, the CTS may equal or beat the BMW in its driving experience. That comes with the FE3 suspension which is firmer and would help make up for the CTS weight disadvantage. Actually, performance wise one car that rarely gets mentioned is the Infiniti G37. It would certainly beat the CTS and probably tie or beat the BMW, but after test driving that and the BMW before I bought my CTS, the Infiniti just didn't have the right feel to it. Not better or worse, just not right (for me, I suppose). There's my .02, so I think we're getting close to a dollar now.
    Mine does have the Summer Performance Tire package. In the original thread, I mentioned "3.6 DI Performance", and thats what I was alluding to without drafting out every feature the car has. I have the FE3 suspension with the big brakes. I did comment that it feels very good, and I like it a lot. It feels like a really sporty luxury car, and I am IMPRESSED by the performance. The car handles really well, and I hate to word it this way, but once its moving, seems to handle anything you put in its way, although it doesn't feel like it quite has the torque to pull it through the tough turns. Now if your looking for a "sporty luxury car" I think You'll be fully satisfied. As I mentioned, I choose to drive the CTS as my Daily!

Now keep in mind the BMW also has the M-Sport package, which is BMW's equivalent to the Summer Performance Tire Package.

The more opinions and input, the better!

angelbones is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe (formerly)

Mine does have the Summer Performance Tire package. In the original thread, I mentioned "3.6 DI Performance", and thats what I was alluding to without drafting out every feature the car has. I have the FE3 suspension with the big brakes. I did comment that it feels very good, and I like it a lot. It feels like a really sporty luxury car, and I am IMPRESSED by the performance. The car handles really well, and I hate to word it this way, but once its moving, seems to handle anything you put in its way, although it doesn't feel like it quite has the torque to pull it through the tough turns. Now if your looking for a "sporty luxury car" I think You'll be fully satisfied. As I mentioned, I choose to drive the CTS as my Daily!

Now keep in mind the BMW also has the M-Sport package, which is BMW's equivalent to the Summer Performance Tire Package.

The more opinions and input, the better![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the clarification.

MaxBuck is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 DI Blue Diamond

The ATS is a substantially smaller car than the 3-series, so I'm not sure what Cadillac had in mind there ...

As a past BMW 545i owner (that's the 4.5L V8) with the sport package and loaded to the gills, I have to say that my current CTS equals the BMW in luxury fitments, though with a bit cheaper fit-and-finish (as you'd expect for the list price differential). Passenger space was greater in the BMW, and the trunk was substantially larger and easier to access. Ride was also much more refined; I've never been in a car with a better blend of ride and handling than that 545i. Also, the Logic7 sound system was far superior to the Caddy (it was a very, very good system indeed, and I'm not unhappy with what the CTS has).

Having said all that, I couldn't afford a similar vehicle to the 545i when I bought my CTS, and it was a tremendous value. The AWD has proven to be terrific for handling, and aside from the fact I can't stream audio via Bluetooth (unfortunate), the handsfree system works well. Navigation system is harder to use if I don't use voice commands, but voice commands on the CTS work pretty well.

Lastly, though this is completely subjective I think the CTS is a better-looking car than the prior model 5-series (the newer body style looks better to me, but the handling has, I understand, gone to shit).

Just another point of view. Between the Gen2 CTS and the current 3-series, I'd probably take the CTS every time (though if the3L twin-turbo diesel motor were still available I might go with the Bimmer).

RAB
    RAB is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

For a few reasons I think the (2nd gen) CTS is at least the better value vehicle, based on the amount of dollars having to be spent to obtain each of these cars, fully equipped.
    Frankly it bugs me that BMW and other German marques charge extra for things like metallic paint. That's bull$hit, imo.
    Anyway.. whatever. I still very much like BMW's, don't get me wrong - especially the upcoming 4 Series Coupe. Nice!

It's gotta be said, once again, that the 2nd gen CTS is a great looking car - a true classic - whether it be Sport Sedan, Coupe or Sport Wagon. This still rings true after more than 6 years have passed since the model's initial introduction to the world in January 2007. Incredibly, the look of the car remains current/contemporary more than 6 years on. Amazing, really. Think about it. Show me another model car introduced around that time (way back in 2007) that has fared so well in the looks/contemporary department.. that has withstood the passing of time as well as the Gen 2 CTS. That's the mark of a genuine classic car.. that also happens to be a great buy. And that is the element I think most pleases me about my CTS.
    MoFex likes this.

jeffc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium (SOLD) / 2013 XTS Luxury
    Well put Richard!!! I think that's what I miss the MOST about my CTS...that awesome looking machine is no longer in my driveway

RAB
    RAB is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc83 View Post
    Well put Richard!!! I think that's what I miss the MOST about my CTS...that awesome looking machine is no longer in my driveway
    Thanks Jeff. Yes, I get that.
    You know.. after having a 2nd gen CTS for 6 years now (since Sept 2007), you'd think I'd be tired of the look of it by now. No, definitely not!

jeffc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium (SOLD) / 2013 XTS Luxury
    ^^^You can never get bored with that look!

arachnyd is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I agree with the discussion about the look. A 7 year old car that doesn't feel like its "old" style wise. The interior is true of that as well. Few other vehicles can say that.

Quote Originally Posted by RAB View Post
    For a few reasons I think the (2nd gen) CTS is at least the better value vehicle, based on the amount of dollars having to be spent to obtain each of these cars, fully equipped.
    Frankly it bugs me that BMW and other German marques charge extra for things like metallic paint. That's bull$hit, imo.
    I concur with everything you said EXCEPT one. Caddy charges $1000 (ok $995) for it's premium color choices, while BMW charges only $550. I know you look at it as metallic vs. non metallic, but Chevy charges $395 for premium color choices.

It doesn't really bother me to upcharge for them. Metallic paint is popular on luxury cars, and why not charge a premium for customers willing to pay it? Ultimately it in a way "lowers" the price for those just trying to get in one.

I think the $550 is a lot more reasonable than the $1000 cadillac charges.

MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

Quote Originally Posted by RAB View Post
    Thanks Jeff. Yes, I get that.
    You know.. after having a 2nd gen CTS for 6 years now (since Sept 2007), you'd think I'd be tired of the look of it by now. No, definitely not!
    Somehow I feel the same way

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.