Is this repairable? (to all the autobody experts out there)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Is this repairable? (to all the autobody experts out there) in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; found a pretty fantastic deal on a CTS wagon, which would normally be way outside my budget the one problem ...
    joekitch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Is this repairable? (to all the autobody experts out there)

found a pretty fantastic deal on a CTS wagon, which would normally be way outside my budget
    the one problem is this;
    07.jpg

the rest of the car looks absolutely spotless EXCEPT for that roof section. Not even any frame damage. maybe it got scraped on the roof? i doubt it was a roll based on no frame issues.
    all the listing says it was "transportation damage"
    http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...ngId=127132886
    i'm just wondering if an autobody place could potentially fix something like this? would it cost a grand or under? because that would STILL be within my budget

i'm probably being completely irrational and its probably a really bad buy but...ugh...i gotta get dat wagon yaknow?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

Re: Is this repairable? (to all the autobody experts out there)

Run away as fast as you can! Way more than $1000 to repair it right! They would have to almost give this car to me!

Marv

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

Yeh that is a total out

Quote Originally Posted by Tbbt View Post
    Run away as fast as you can! Way more than $1000 to repair it right! They would have to almost give this car to me!

Marv
    thing is, there's no frame damage. no buckling or anything, i dont think the sunroof was even touched. all that sustained any kind of damage was that one strip of door trim and that corner of the roof. that's it.

The roof is dented and the ultra view sunroof is out of alignment from impact do not buy it.

You can also see the rear passenger side door is higher than the roof on that side.

Quote Originally Posted by CTSCHICK View Post
    The roof is dented and the ultra view sunroof is out of alignment from impact do not buy it.
    i'm going to contact the guy for more pictures, but i'm not actually sure the warping your seeing is real...
    the opposite corner of the sunroof is fine, you can see from the interior pics
    the nearest corner...seems to align...i think...
    it all depends on what more pictures will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by joekitch View Post
    i'm going to contact the guy for more pictures, but i'm not actually sure the warping your seeing is real...
    the opposite corner of the sunroof is fine, you can see from the interior pics
    the nearest corner...seems to align...i think...
    it all depends on what more pictures will tell.
    The interior picture shows the rear glass is panel pushing down on the interior weather seal.

The ultraview sunroof might be flush on the passenger side but from there out it is goes below the roof of the car

You can also see rust already forming, nothing preventing water from running down in side of the doors.

The interior picture shows the rear glass is panel pushing down on the interior weather seal.

The ultraview sunroof might be flush on the passenger side but from there out it is goes below the roof of the car
    im not quite seeing that, it looks the same as all the stock images of the sunroof from the interior. but more pic will tell a fuller tale

You can also see rust already forming, nothing preventing water from running down in side of the doors
    THAT'S what i'm worried about. to add complication to all this, the car is in flordia and would need to be shipped up to me in Massachusetts, meaning I'd need them to either duct-tape the crap out of that scar or ship it in a covered carrier to prevent additional rust damage to what is actually the frame

The parts will exceed $1K now factor in the labor with just the roof.

hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 base CTS Sportwagon

The car is certainly repairable. The question is: will it be worth your investment after its repaired? The big questions are: does it have a clear (no salvage) title, and is the damage listed on the car's repair record? If the answer to both is NO, and you can repair the damage yourself, it's probably worth the asking price. If you can't repair it, you need the shop that will repair it to tell you what it will cost.

I have brought a few cars back from the dead, and I know it's always more involved and expensive than you think it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by hauler View Post
    The car is certainly repairable. The question is: will it be worth your investment after its repaired? The big questions are: does it have a clear (no salvage) title, and is the damage listed on the car's repair record? If the answer to both is NO, and you can repair the damage yourself, it's probably worth the asking price. If you can't repair it, you need the shop that will repair it to tell you what it will cost.

I have brought a few cars back from the dead, and I know it's always more involved and expensive than you think it will be.
    well i guess it all depends on what the autobody shops will quote me, and if the prepurchase inspection mechanic finds any evidence of worthwhile frame damage+sunroof leaking
    if they dont replace any panels or components (which isn't really necessary), i very much doubt the cost will exceed 2 grand, and even then it's STILL in my budget, if only barely.

as for doing it diy, i suppose it'd be a great deal of prep work with sanding and a fantastic amount of bondo+fiberglass trip reinforcement. but that's fine, i got time.
    i mean even if the sunroof is leaking i can play some tricks with silicone and re-clear the drain tracks. considering this is 12 grand for a 25 grand cts wagon, almost any effort is "worth it"

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Bondo and fiberglass?!?!?! Those panels need to be replaced... at a GOOD, QUALIFIED shop, not patched in the driveway or at Macco. The roof "rail" isn't even a panel, it's part if the body side panel. a structural part if the unibody. This is a several thousand dollar repair just in visual damage alone, plus whatever else isn't shown in, or isn't able to be seen in the pictures.

It's repairable, but it needs some major work.

jeffc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium
    Who knows what the CEL is related to as well! I'd steer clear of it...

dandunham is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS performance mdl 3.6L

looks like a nice car however I think they are asking to much. I think you are looking at a Minimum of 3K in repairs. Frankly I would have them replace the entire roof pannel with a non sun roof pannel, those sun roofs seem to have some issues even on cars without roof damage. frame repair is going to be expensive along the window. then you also have to consider the car is out of warranty so if there are any mechanical issues you will need to have enough money left in the bank to take care of those. these are not cheap cars to repair so take that in to account. after the metal is replaced you will need to have it painted and that is not a cheap easy job on those pearl colors.
    so at the end of the day it could be a good deal for you but you have to get the car for super cheap like 6K or less I would think. If you cant get it for a price that lets you do the repairs with a shop YOU pick then I would walk away. don't trust the dealership to pick a good shop. and don't settle for crappy work. the last thing you want is to drive a sweet looking Caddy that has obvious problems.

Leaf 68 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS - RWD/Perf./BlackRaven

From the inside pictures looking up at the sunroof looks like the glass panel is scratched. Torn metal on
    roof could mean some water damage or issues later on. Also the high polished rims appear pitted...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.