Is this repairable? (to all the autobody experts out there) - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Is this repairable? (to all the autobody experts out there) in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Spelled Water Leaks!...
    2manyhotrods is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Eldorado ETC coupe.
    Spelled Water Leaks!

dreiloft is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS, 2012 Coupe traded, 2010 CTS 4 Dr traded
    Also note it is out of warranty.

joekitch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Is this repairable? (to all the autobody experts out there)

Quote Originally Posted by dreiloft View Post
    Also note it is out of warranty.
    the powertrain warranty it up until 100k, and that's the only thing i'm worried about (timing chain issues), it also follows the car
    not sure what the bumper2bumper goes up to, probably only 40k

KYFootDoc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    You're kidding, right?

Quote Originally Posted by KYFootDoc View Post
    You're kidding, right?
    'far as i know, the 100k does indeed follow the car, as revealed in a few threads found using the search function
    but i doubt the b2b follows it, even if it's like 5k miles or something microscopic

....or do you just mean fixing that roof gash in general?

al williams is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '11 coupe-- manual shift-- 1 of 65 built.

The place that is selling this car is an outlet for salvaged cars. If this car could be repaired for $2,000 or $3,000 retail, the prior owner would probably have had it repaired and then been able to get rid of it for normal value, but I don't think that price is even close.

The CarFax report is available for a small fee, and lists 17 items. There may be several ownership changes, but that is a very large number of items.

It doesn't help that the car has been left out in the weather for a substantial period of time and rusted. No telling how much additional trouble there is be due to water leaking in.

If you are seriously interested in this car, it is imperative that you look at in person, and have the person who might fix it look at it in person then give you a repair estimate for the body work AND the engine work, but I have to agree with the other respondents that this is a terrible idea. The car is on hold now, hopefully not for you. Someone may be saving you from yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by al williams View Post
    The place that is selling this car is an outlet for salvaged cars. If this car could be repaired for $2,000 or $3,000 retail, the prior owner would probably have had it repaired and then been able to get rid of it for normal value, but I don't think that price is even close.

The CarFax report is available for a small fee, and lists 17 items. There may be several ownership changes, but that is a very large number of items.

It doesn't help that the car has been left out in the weather for a substantial period of time and rusted. No telling how much additional trouble there is be due to water leaking in.

If you are seriously interested in this car, it is imperative that you look at in person, and have the person who might fix it look at it in person then give you a repair estimate for the body work AND the engine work, but I have to agree with the other respondents that this is a terrible idea. The car is on hold now, hopefully not for you. Someone may be saving you from yourself!
    all good points (and i was not the one who put the car on hold).
    i'll probably call them up today to ask how long it's been in the rain, do they actually have it covered at this point to prevent further damage, does the driver door even open, do the driver door electricals still work, does the sunroof leak at all, and to send me both the carfax and additional pictures of the roof.
    simultaneously i'll send that specific picture to a few autobody places in the area down there asking realistically the cost of fixing that damage.
    If there's no electrical or sunroof or frame problems so far, and the carfax is spotless aside from this incident, and the repair cost is 2 grand or less (which it probably wont be, but still), it could be worth it.

it's unfortunate that this is really the only way to get a CTS wagon for under 20 grand, let alone 15. why did they have to way until 2010 to make the wagon?

tinman is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

B2B follows the car. I am a second owner of my wagon. Where is Florida is this car?

----------

Ahh, Miami. Nevermind. Don't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    B2B follows the car. I am a second owner of my wagon. Where is Florida is this car?

----------

Ahh, Miami. Nevermind. Don't do it.
    dont do it because of rust possibilities?
    also, the b2b, what mileage does it extend to? and i assume it would be instantly revoked if theg knew about this little incident on the cars history

dreiloft is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS, 2012 Coupe traded, 2010 CTS 4 Dr traded
    If it's in Miami I would go look at it for you.

somedaycts is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS4

Pretty sure all warranties are voided if the vehicle has salvage, total loss, etc title.
    tinman likes this.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by joekitch View Post
    well i guess it all depends on what the autobody shops will quote me, and if the prepurchase inspection mechanic finds any evidence of worthwhile frame damage+sunroof leaking
    if they dont replace any panels or components (which isn't really necessary), i very much doubt the cost will exceed 2 grand, and even then it's STILL in my budget, if only barely.

as for doing it diy, i suppose it'd be a great deal of prep work with sanding and a fantastic amount of bondo+fiberglass trip reinforcement. but that's fine, i got time.
    i mean even if the sunroof is leaking i can play some tricks with silicone and re-clear the drain tracks. considering this is 12 grand for a 25 grand cts wagon, almost any effort is "worth it"
    As an insurance adjuster;

No, you need to stop right there.

You need a whole new roof skin, and major repairs(ie total replacement) to the A, B and maybe C pillars which btw, are all HSS(you can't repair HSS, you can R&R though), ie, not something you can weld easily and requires certified technicians in order to be repaired correctly (and safely) in order to be put back on the road. The Ultraview is going to be damaged in someway, which, $$$$ from a dealer for parts, and that's before there's any tear-down to see hidden damage to the door frames, interior panels, or anything else.

Can it be repaired? Sure.

Will the costs exceed the cars value? Yes. Which is why it's being sold as salvage. I'm certain if you looked at a carfax on this thing it's been written off and has a bad title. Whatever 'transportation' damage was done by the shipping company was paid for by their port insurance carrier and it looks like this dealer decided to keep the vehicle and take a reduced settlement or the carrier didn't have the means to sell the car themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    Which is why it's being sold as salvage.
    actually no
    i asked the guys for the carfax and the accident is listed, the title is still fine, no salvage title, which is most of the reason im even paying attention to this. i know enough to know that salvage title=avoid, mostly because of ll the red tape of getting it back on the road.

its on hold for someone else though, with a deposit, so they really want it.

HOWEVER these guys dont allow down payments to be placed on credit cards, which is reason enough to steer clear. credit crard transactiosn can be refunded. wiring funds = shit out of luck if absolutely anything goes wrong. no thanks.

bummer, wish i could find a cts wagon that was used as a fleet vehicle or something with like 150k miles on it, thatd put it in my budget and i prefer higher mileage cars anyway

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

The listing says it has a clear title. With 45 years as an adjuster and a consultant of the 1st revision of ICAR (standard practices for adjusters and body shops) the car can be repaired. There are shops that buy this car and do the minimal amount of repairs and turn the car. The rust isn't m You can't and don't want to replace he roof panel. It's a structural component and unlike a unibody frame there is no way to pin it to maintain correct alignment. If I were to repair this car I would put two used doors on, purchased a used center post with rocker panel and roof section attached. Fortunately this can come from a sedan or a wagon. The roof section would replace the damaged section. The metal on the roof can be manipulated but the sunroof frame will need to be replaced. Sure it's repairable and the parts; if you could buy all of the used parts from one car would be repairable. The problem is finding a shop that will do the repairs correctly for a price you can afford.
    I agree with everyone else; when the day is done you still have a car with major repairs that is out of warranty with a CEL of unknown source.

jeffc83 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium (SOLD) / 2013 XTS Luxury
    I understand you want a wagon but I found some 08 CTS sedans for around $10k that all have over 100k miles with no damage. That would be your best bet... Here's one example: http://www.autotrader.com/ATCarID/AT...r_id=354453878

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.