Another CTS Backup Sensor Thread- Won't turn "on"?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Cadillac Cust Svc
  • 1 Post By C "T" ess
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Another CTS Backup Sensor Thread- Won't turn "on"? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I've read on here about backup sensor failures, but mine simply won't turn on. I'm not getting any errors or ...
    arachnyd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Another CTS Backup Sensor Thread- Won't turn "on"?

I've read on here about backup sensor failures, but mine simply won't turn on. I'm not getting any errors or anything, but when I go into the DIC to turn it on, it doesn't ever switch to "on" it just keeps checking "off". I have no "sensor errors" or service sensors or anything like other people have stated. I'm doing exactly what the manual calls for!

Any takers?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

Re: Another CTS Backup Sensor Thread- Won't turn "on"?

Question out of ignorance: do all CTS models have backup sensors? If your car has the round spots on the rear bumper and you're not getting lights and chimes coming on, then you are most likely going to need to see your dealer.

Have they ever worked and are now not working? Seems odd that you're not getting anything at all.

Marv

Not all CTS models have them. I do have the sensors, I do have the spots, I do have the lights, and I do have the options in DIC. I just bought the car actually (used).

When I start the car it pops up and says "Parking Assist Off" message. The manual says it displays this when parking assist is turned off. to turn it on, go through the DIC control, move through to the on-off display, and press the set/reset button to select between on and off. When I hit the "set/reset" button, the check mark next to "off" blinks, but it stays on "off". I tried all the other buttons and none of them do it either. I've tried it multiple times. I get no error message.

I dont believe in using dealerships once they are out of warranty (just a personal thing). If I can't fix it, I don't deserve to have it, thats my motto Sometimes its a pain, but it keeps me on my game and keeps me grounded. I must say though as these cars are getting more and more computer-based, I may have to give up on my motto at some point because some things just can't be done at home!

Thanks for any pointers. If there was a typical problem with the system, I should be getting a code/error message, right? Has anyone seen this before?

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

I do understand your dilemma about dealers after warranty expires (high costs). But sometimes there isn't another option.

I'm wondering, if your (new to you) car ever had work done on the back bumper, just maybe, they forgot to hook the sensors back up? that would be something to check out yourself. I've only been on the site for a year, but I've never seen this problem discussed before. I would also check the manual to see if there is a fuse for this option.

I had a sensor go out on my car and the DIC said something like "service parking sensors" but they still operated fine (those that worked). I don't know what to tell you other than to try the easy stuff first. Hopefully it's not a body controller (there are a whole lot of them in our cars). I read somewhere that our cars had something like 30 "computers" running everything!

Good luck, Marv

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by arachnyd View Post
    I've read on here about backup sensor failures, but mine simply won't turn on. I'm not getting any errors or anything, but when I go into the DIC to turn it on, it doesn't ever switch to "on" it just keeps checking "off". I have no "sensor errors" or service sensors or anything like other people have stated. I'm doing exactly what the manual calls for!

Any takers?
    Hello arachnyd,

Congratulations on your new purchase! I am sorry to hear that your backup sensors are not working on your CTS though. I do see that you are not interested in taking your vehicle to the dealership once it is out of warranty and you have already read through what the owner’s manual states about turning the Parking assist on. I am not sure what model year your CTS is but have you looked into this as well? “The ultrasonic sensors are not clean. Keep the vehicle’s rear bumper free of mud, dirt, snow, ice and slush. For cleaning instructions, see Washing Your Vehicle on page 5-116.” I found this in the 2008 CTS owner’s manual. If you do decide to take your vehicle into the dealership, please feel free to private message me so I can assist you in working with them. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care
    hauler likes this.

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

try going into the DIC and when you get to the option "restore factory settings" check that. Then see if the sensors work. If so you will need to go back to DIC and set all of your personal options again but obviously do nothing when you get to "parking assist".
    Sometimes changing the settings in the DIC can be finicky. Even following the owners manual instructions. It seems at times it takes several buttons to select turning something on or off. It makes no sense to me but all 4 of my CTS have been that way.
    hauler likes this.

You guys want to hear a good one?

Thank you all for your great advice... however, I guess they DO work. The problem however is with the ebrake on, they turn off. Since I have a manual transmission car, every time I start the car, the Ebrake is on- therefore the warning turns on that the backup sensors are off, and you cannot manually turn them on.

Now if this is not supposed to do that- like there is a short of somesort or something similar, please let me know, but otherwise, the warning that comes on when I start the car every time (and the test where I put the ebrake on to make sure I didn't run over my wife when I put it in reverse) is related to the ebrake, not the backup sensors.

Now THAT should be in the manual somewhere because I've been stressing over it!

And now you can all proceed to laugh and give me a hard time!

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by arachnyd View Post
    You guys want to hear a good one?

Thank you all for your great advice... however, I guess they DO work. The problem however is with the ebrake on, they turn off. Since I have a manual transmission car, every time I start the car, the Ebrake is on- therefore the warning turns on that the backup sensors are off, and you cannot manually turn them on.

Now if this is not supposed to do that- like there is a short of somesort or something similar, please let me know, but otherwise, the warning that comes on when I start the car every time (and the test where I put the ebrake on to make sure I didn't run over my wife when I put it in reverse) is related to the ebrake, not the backup sensors.

Now THAT should be in the manual somewhere because I've been stressing over it!

And now you can all proceed to laugh and give me a hard time!
    Hello arachnyd,

I am glad to hear that have located the issue that made the backup sensors work. I would be more than happy to reach out to an internal resource to see if this is operating like it should. I would just need you to private message me your VIN so I can reach out to them. I will be sure to document your feedback about that being in the owner’s manual and I will forward it to the correct group regarding this concern. Thank you very much for taking the time to keep us updated!

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.