Battery Voltage Question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Battery Voltage Question in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I have an 09 DI with the original battery. We are planning a trip and in checking items on the ...
    JackB is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS AWD DI

Battery Voltage Question

I have an 09 DI with the original battery. We are planning a trip and in checking items on the dash monitor I noticed that the battery voltage was 12.0 volts. I seem to remember it usually being about 12.2 volts. Is this a problem. Car starts and shows no other symptoms of a bad battery.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Sportwagon 18.2city 28hwy 25hwy AC on

Re: Battery Voltage Question

Lots of views it no replies, so I'll tell you what I would do.
    Check to see if the battery terminals are clean and the cells are full.
    If so, check the battery with a voltmeter, at the terminals after a half hour ride.
    If it reads less than 12.2volts, I would replace it, based on its age.

Mistercoffee2 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by hauler View Post
    Lots of views it no replies, so I'll tell you what I would do.
    Check to see if the battery terminals are clean and the cells are full.
    If so, check the battery with a voltmeter, at the terminals after a half hour ride.
    If it reads less than 12.2volts, I would replace it, based on its age.
    Could be due to the small amount if info you provided. Ignition on, lights on, engine off, 12.2 is OK.
    If the engine is running you should see something around 14 volts.

If not, Auto Zone will check your charging system free.
    tinman likes this.

zeevert is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

You'll feel better if you replace the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by zeevert View Post
    You'll feel better if you replace the battery.
    Really bad advice. He would feel much better if you would pay for it. lol At least have it and the charging system tested first.
    mnmjack likes this.

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

If your car is showing 12.2v with no load (i.e.. door closed, key off, no lights on) the either the battery is starting to go or your charging system is not operating properly. A normal voltage would be 12.6 or so with no load (with no surface charge). After the car is started, your voltage should be in the 13.6-13.8 range. Cars will start with a battery as low as 10.0 volts, but the car may not operate properly.

Your battery is going on 4ish years old, if you are concerned about it, go have it tested and replaced at your timetable, not in an emergency situation. Make sure you replace it with a sealed battery that has a port to release gasses outside of the trunk via the tube provided.

Good luck, Marv

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

Unless you are traveling to the outback, I bet there will be auto stores along the way so that if the battery starts showing signs of faltering, you will be able to just drive in and get a new battery.

Quote Originally Posted by C "T" ess View Post
    Unless you are traveling to the outback, I bet there will be auto stores along the way so that if the battery starts showing signs of faltering, you will be able to just drive in and get a new battery.
    Yes, there are plenty of places to buy a battery in an emergency! I'd rather plan my purchase and be able to do some comparison shopping instead of taking what they have. Not everyone will have what you need.

I only had 26 years in the industry, so .............
    tinman, snafu and Mistercoffee2 like this.

JackB is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS AWD DI

I appreciate the replies. Today I did a more thorough check which included the battery terminals.[nice locking terminals] The voltage showed 11.7 volts when I was checking the air in tires for the trip. Of course the lights were on, the fan for AC running. [I need the key on to read the TPMS]. I then started her up and got a reading over 14 volts. I thought that must have something top do with alternator running. After letting her run for a while I checked voltage when off again and it read 12.2 volts. A little confusing. I plan to replace the battery but would prefer to wait a week since we are leaving shortly for a week. Are you saying that I would get a warning if the battery got too low such as hard starting?

Quote Originally Posted by Tbbt View Post
    If your car is showing 12.2v with no load (i.e.. door closed, key off, no lights on) the either the battery is starting to go or your charging system is not operating properly. A normal voltage would be 12.6 or so with no load (with no surface charge). After the car is started, your voltage should be in the 13.6-13.8 range. Cars will start with a battery as low as 10.0 volts, but the car may not operate properly.

Your battery is going on 4ish years old, if you are concerned about it, go have it tested and replaced at your timetable, not in an emergency situation. Make sure you replace it with a sealed battery that has a port to release gasses outside of the trunk via the tube provided.

Good luck, Marv
    My battery is on life support. It is five and a half years old, OEM 2008 (March 2008).

Open trunk and put my Fluke meter on the battery and get 12.2V. Ignition on, Fluke 11.8V, DIC 11.7. Same with lights on. Engine running 14.5 Fluke, 14.4 DIC.

I had the battery and charging system tested a couple of months ago and it passed. But I know I'm on borrowed time and the battery will go when the weather cools off.

Based on what you are saying is that the battery is being charged by the alternator fine. As batteries age, they lose the ability to hold a charge (very slowly) because of sulfation. The average original equipment battery will last 4-5 years.

After turning you car off wait at least an hour to re-check the voltage (that let's the surface charge dissipate). You will get a notice in the Driver Information Center (DIC) when you have a too low voltage to start the car.

I just went out to my car and checked the DIC battery voltage! Oddly mine is 12.2v too, so I need to do some research on how much drain is on the battery in our cars when the key is on. It shouldn't be that low. There is voltage drop due to the remote battery location and all the connections in our computer driven cars, but I didn't think it was that much.

You could do some research where you live on the CTS battery availability in your area. There are correct style batteries at Walmart, Autozone, Advance, Checker, and AC/Delco as well. Most dealers stock batteries, but they will be very highly priced. Personally, I would find an AC/Delco distributor and get a replacement there. Batteries don't just die without advance notice, unless you have a broken intercell lug (doesn't happen often). You will hear the starter drag and the engine just turn over slowly as the battery nears end of life.

Marv

Could all of you (wishful thinking) read your battery voltage using DIC? Something is 'off' with the 12.2v that is showing up. Make sure you close the door, turn the key to 'start' without starting and change the DIC to battery voltage.

I need to do some in-depth study and it would be helpful to see what others are seeing first.

Thanks, Marv

Quote Originally Posted by Tbbt View Post
    Could all of you (wishful thinking) read your battery voltage using DIC? Something is 'off' with the 12.2v that is showing up. Make sure you close the door, turn the key to 'start' without starting and change the DIC to battery voltage.

I need to do some in-depth study and it would be helpful to see what others are seeing first.

Thanks, Marv
    You already have my info from an earlier post.

It's hard to "turn the key to 'start' without starting" I think you mean "on/run" or the commonly used "ignition" position.

I'm sure you know this reading in totally dependent on battery age/condition and thus has no "normal".

I tried to get the static current readings for you however I was unable to get a reading with ignition on. I could see about 5ma because of the trunk lights but for some reason I couldn't even unlock the door. I have a high end Fluke meter but I guess the insertion resistance of this meter upsets the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistercoffee2 View Post
    You already have my info from an earlier post.

It's hard to "turn the key to 'start' without starting" I think you mean "on/run" or the commonly used "ignition" position.

I'm sure you know this reading in totally dependent on battery age/condition and thus has no "normal".

I tried to get the static current readings for you however I was unable to get a reading with ignition on. I could see about 5ma because of the trunk lights but for some reason I couldn't even unlock the door. I have a high end Fluke meter but I guess the insertion resistance of this meter upsets the system.
    Mister,

I somehow missed your post, 3 minutes before mine. Certainly, Fluke makes great equipment. Your readings are in- line with mine. Tomorrow, I'll get reading with the meter I have and see if they match yours. This is the meter (can't remember the brand right now) that I used in Ford, Chrysler, Honda and GM assembly plants to monitor battery performance.

I will post my numbers tomorrow AM.

The voltages shown in the DIC without the engine running CANNOT be used for any diagnostic purpose. They are blotto (scientific for stupid) and don't associate with any known fact!

There is 'something' diverting some of the voltage away from the DIC. It's almost like there is a dead short (though I know that's not it) changing the voltage to 12.2v. I checked everything I could without tearing my car apart and can't figure it out! For instance, I drove my car doing errands, the DIC showing anywhere from 13.8v to 14.4v while in motion. I stopped the car turned the key to off, turned it back to the run position and the voltage returned to 12.2v.

So while the DIC gives good engine operating voltage, the non engine running voltage is useless. If any one knows more, please feel to enlighten me. I'm stumped.

Thanks, Marv

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.