Help! How to find 12v power in center stack
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Help! How to find 12v power in center stack in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I'm a new Coupe owner (13 Performance - no nav) and want to mount my Garmin on the panel that ...
    dlpuette is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 AWD Performance Coupe, 2011 Harley ElectraGlide Limited

Help! How to find 12v power in center stack

I'm a new Coupe owner (13 Performance - no nav) and want to mount my Garmin on the panel that would normally be the roof of the slide up nav. I popped the cover and there's Texas size space back there and the panel will make an easy mounting, but the space behind there is all pretty sealed up. I know the fuse box is on the engine side of the firewall and don't want to go there. I'm sure there's something in the center stack that I can tap some 12v power from. I just don't know how to get there. Has anyone ever popped the faceplate off the stack? If so, what's the trick? Or any other way to get some 12v?

This is my first ever GM product (BMW's mostly before this) and I'm not familiar with how they button panels down. Are they just carefully pry off? Or are there hidden fasteners? Don't want to F** up my interior pieces trying to pry something off that isn't meant to be.

I always had tremendous luck in the BMW forums with helpful members. Hoping my foray into the Caddy world is just as good!!

Thanks for any help!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Sal33n is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Former '03 CTS owner, 09' CTS4

Re: Help! How to find 12v power in center stack

I would like to know how you popped that cover off as I also though about making some sort of mount in there and assumed there would be space inside there. I have been hesitant because I don't want to break that cover trying to pry it off.

I just wiggled it straight up. There's tons of space behind the LCD!!! But whatever you're mounting there will need power and thats my dilema.

hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Sportwagon 18.2city 28hwy 25hwy AC on

12volt power (switched) for the console APOs is the red wire in the connector that you see when you pull the passenger side carpet down from the console. That's the wire I used to connect both my detector and my back up sensor. APO is what's on the fuse block diagram for Aux Power Outlets

Hauler
    Thanks for the reply!! That could work! Could you be a bit more specific about where on the console yo pull the carpet? Any tricks in pulling it down without damage?

Thanks again!!

Pull the pass side carpet from under the console cover. It will tuck back in. The harness is running along the floor just below the edge of the cover. I pulled the white connector apart and peeled back the harness wrap a little to access the red wire with a splice connector used for trailer wiring additions.

Outstanding! Thanks hauler!!!

Hate to say it,but there may be a difference in the harnesses for your wagon and my coupe. Pulled back the carpet and there is some bigger connectors directly under the dash that run down to the floor and to the power seat and one up into the center console between the seats. But no white connector in sight. The one that goes to the center console disappears into it.

The bigger connectors under the dash could be my best bet, but figuring out which is switched power will be interesting. I'll stick a grounded volt meter on the likely ones and see if I can find 12v. Hate not knowing what else it's feeding before I go loading it more with the GPS.

Maybe someone here knows those connectors?

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

^ dlpuette.. I've checked the service manual schematics for the 2013 CTS (for Sedan, Coupe and Wagon). The 12V power outlet at the base of the center stack at the top end of the center console is known as the Cigar/Cigarette Lighter Receptacle-Front. The wires that feed this receptacle (as well as the two other 12V accessory power receptacles located further back in the center console) are color-coded as:
    a) RD/WH (Red/White) colored wire for the +12V feed (i.e. which is a switched "+" power feed coming from the Accessory Power Relay)
    b) BK (Black) colored wire for the -12V feed
    The key is.. look for a wire that is jacket color coded red/white - that's the switched +12V feed to all the accessory power receptacles in the CTS Coupe. The black colored wire(s) in a given power wiring harness represents -12V (negative 12V). Hope this helps.
    Card likes this.

RAB
    Thats fantastic info! Any idea where that connector that feeds those wires is? When I pulled the carpet back on the passenger side there are two fairly big connectors coming down from the side of the center stack. Is it possible that those wires you mentioned are in one of those connectors? Maybe the service manual mentions the connector locations. I'll def look for any R/W wires heading that way and check em with a meter.

Either way, thank you VERY much for taking the time to look that up for me!!!

One connector has the wire. If your car has a power passenger seat (mine doesn't) that's the other connector. Disconnect one and see if the console outlets stop working.

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

As an alternative to consider, I made a bracket for my TomTom. It fits securely in the opening that would have been for the ashtray. A short USB cord connect the power to the cigarette lighter. It works great, there is no degregation of the signal and it makes it almost appear as built into the dash.

I use a plastic disk on the dash radio screen to suction mount my GPS, then put it back in the console until I'm on another road trip, just to keep my car from being broken-into. Last month it was in a park while my wife and I bicycled down a bike path. The Lexus parked next to my wagon got a broken window for access to its GPS, but my car was unharmed.

Thanks guys for all the input!! I'm gonna tackle this over the weekend. I'll post back how it goes!

Hauler - I'm curious about the placement of that plastic disc. I thought about putting one somewhere in the middle of the dash to keep using the suction mount, but couldn't find an area big enough that's flat to put one. What do you mean by the radio screen? Mine is only about 1 1/2" tall (if you mean the non-nav LCD screen at the top of the stack.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.