Help! How to find 12v power in center stack - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree1Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Help! How to find 12v power in center stack in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I agree its baffling!! I'm gonna do some more tests over the weekend. I'll keep you posted...
    dlpuette is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 AWD Performance Coupe, 2011 Harley ElectraGlide Limited

Re: Help! How to find 12v power in center stack

I agree its baffling!! I'm gonna do some more tests over the weekend. I'll keep you posted

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

dlpuette, I've referenced another, more detailed schematic for the ISRVM (inside rear view mirror) and have discovered why you're facing the problem. I've included a copy of the schematic below. The +12V power circuit that feeds the ISRVM is hooked up by the factory one of two ways depending on whether the ISRVM has a built-in rear view camera display or not. In other words there are two (2) different models of ISRVM for the 2011-2013 CTS - one with an integral rear view video display and one without. Some detail:

1) On cars not equipped with a rear view camera system, or those equipped with the system but whose ISRVM is without a built-in rear view camera display (such as those vehicles equipped with the UAV factory Nav/Infotainment system), the +12V for the ISRVM is supplied by the "639" pink ("IGN") wire that goes into pin #2 of the connector for the mirror. This +12V power supply is "switched", and the circuit is protected by the 7.5A AQS-ISRVM-REAR CAMERA fuse (located at underhood fuse block).

2) On cars equipped with the rear view camera system and have an ISRVM with a built-in rear view camera display (such as your '13 Coupe), the +12V for the ISRVM is supplied by the "4540" red/white (B+) wire that goes into pin #10 of the connector for the mirror. This +12V power supply is "unswitched", and the circuit is protected by the 10A THEFT/UGO fuse (located at rear fuse block on right side of trunk). Mirror dimming function "enable" and rear view camera display activation controls for this model of ISRVM are provided by vehicle data communications (low speed GMLAN).

While the mirror harness in your '13 Coupe does include a pink wire inserted into connector pin #2, the other end of that wire (i.e. where the Headliner Harness plugs into the IP Harness) must be disconnected (from factory), or is purposely not mating with a respective pin in the IP Harness connector. That, or the pink wire is not connected at the X2 plug (pin #19) at the underhood fuse block. To satisfy your curiosity you may wish to check whether a pink wire does in fact go into pin #19 of the X2 plug. If you disconnect any plugs at the underhood fuse block you will first need to disconnect the battery.
    If you are somehow able to activate the switched +12V power source on the pink wire end to end, be sure to disconnect the wire (pin #2) at the ISRVM connector first. Your model of ISRVM may be unhappy with a +12V power source suddenly present on pin #2.

If you can't get anywhere with the pink wire, perhaps all is not lost. You can, perhaps, if you wish, change where /which circuit the "4540" red/white unswitched wire connects to at the X1 plug at the rear fuse block. The wire currently connects to X1 plug pin #51, which as mentioned is connected upstream to the 10A THEFT/UGO fuse post. You could relocate the wire (in that same plug) to tap into a "switched" +12V supply circuit, such as the one for the Console Power Receptacles. That circuit is protected by the 20A CONSOLE APO fuse located at the rear fuse block. The CONSOLE APO switched circuit also has a red/white wire (as you already know, of course, from the other job you did re your portable nav unit). This switched "1701" red/white wire connects to the rear fuse block at its X1 plug pin #27.
    Having said all of that.. I am now wondering why GM chose to go with an unswitched +12V power source for ISRVM's equipped with the built-in rear view camera display. Correct /trouble-free functioning of this model of ISRVM may only be possible with an unswitched +12V power source.

Let us know what you find, and what you end up deciding to do. Good luck!

RAb
    First off let me say once again - You are amazing!! I am in awe of your kindness to help out another forum member the way you have! Thank you again and again!

It certainly looks like you've found the issue. I'm a pretty good electronics guy (broadcast engineer) and it was crazy how that pink wire was dead. (I think the .05v I was reading was just small leakage from adjacent wires and not a control voltage) Knowing that it's an option specific thing makes it all understandable. I'm amazed no one else has run into this. Guess I'm the only guy out there without Nav!!!

I will try to trace that pink wire back to the fuse box and see if I can reroute some switched power to it. If it looks like its gonna be nightmare I may just opt to use the switched power you helped me find for the Garmin and snake a wire up the A pillar on across the headliner. I don't want to mess with the power to the red/wh wire. My luck I'll crash the whole electrical system!!

The schematic you attached looks like a great reference. Unfortunately the resolution on it isn't enough to make out any of the text. By any slim chance do you have a higher res version to post? I know you've already gone through a lot of trouble for me and don't want to overfeed at the well !!!

Again, thank you for all your amazing help!!

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

^ Hey there dlpuette, thanks for your kind comments. No problem at all - it's a pleasure helping out fellow forum members.

Below is a slightly larger image of the ISRVM schematic that's a little easier to make out.
    When you chase the pink wire, note that the next connector upstream from the mirror connector (which itself is part of the headliner harness) is connector X207, which is the connector pair that attaches the Headliner Harness to the Instrument Panel Harness. Unable to provide an exact location for this male/female connector set (it's somewhere in the Instrument Panel!), but I can advise connector X207 is brown in color and is 16-way (16 pins/sockets).

Here's a link to a pdf version of the ISRVM connection schematic that you can download and print off: http://www.mediafire.com/view/yw7ul9..._Schematic.pdf

Rab
    Thanks foer the high rez drawing! Much better!! I'm gonna try to find some time this weekend to track it down. I'll keep you posted and thanks again!!!

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

I have a '12 coupe and used the invisacord to wire my Valentine V1. I had no problem using the pink wire other than the fact that I could not get to it at the mirror connector and had to pull it and the ground out of the harness above the overhead console. It's switched and have no problem since I installed it.

tinman is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

tabio42 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

I just had the same issue finding switched 12v power for a wideband O2. On my 2010 V Sedan, I found a purple and white wire on the passenger side junction (outside edge of the dash) on a 14 pin connector. It was the middle wire in the top row.

I don't know how many amps this wire supports. I just used it as a signal to trigger a relay.

jamiejam1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS COUPE Performance W/Navi

has the color codes changed for the 13' coupes with Navi? or has it remained the same?

tinman is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

While I don't know the answer to your question, it is wise that you asked. The colors have changed in the past.

sisken is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V Wagon 6MT

Thank you RAB and dlpuette! While you've likely long forgotten about this thread, it's still helping people. With dlpuette's photo of the harnesses on the passenger side of the center stack, combined with RAB's wiring diagram, I was able to confidently tap into switched 12v power to hard-wire a cell phone cradle/charger in my new 2014 CTS-V Sport Wagon.

Here's the cradle/charger I installed, from ProClip (http://www.proclipusa.com/phone-hold...502-19369.cmsv)

For anyone who may be interested, I used Positaps (http://www.posi-lock.com/posiplug.html) which I had never used before, but made it super easy.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.