Help! How to find 12v power in center stack - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Help! How to find 12v power in center stack in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; BTW, that seems to be a rather huge honkin GPS unit you have![/QUOTE] I'l bet you say that to all ...
    dlpuette is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 AWD Performance Coupe, 2011 Harley ElectraGlide Limited

Re: Help! How to find 12v power in center stack

BTW, that seems to be a rather huge honkin GPS unit you have![/QUOTE]

I'l bet you say that to all the guys! LOL Actually it's a 5". I hear they have a 7" now too. Hmmmmm

I actually keep it in there full time with the map always showing. It saves me a lot of times even when I'm not actually under navigation. Just nice to see streets that are coming nup etc. Once you drive with one always on, it becomes normal and nice to have. I do the same thing with my wife's car that has nav. Just keep the map on all the time. That why I wanted to wire it in for ignition on power. It's automatic power up and down and I never have to mess with it.

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by dlpuette View Post
    Just a quick update - I finished the Garmin install and it went perfect. I'll post a pic or two of the final mounting. Tapping into the console connector was simple and all works and functions flawlessly!

The Valentine connection to the mirror didn't go as well. I located the pink wire on the mirror connector and it has no power at all - ignition on or off. I'm puzzled by this because that wire has been mentioned consistently (although a diff location in my 13) in all V1 installs as a switched 12v supply. I checked every wire in the connector with a meter and the only one that gets power is the red/wh striped one. But it is powered all the time - no switch. For now I have the V1 powered off this and have to turn it off and on at the detector. Not an ideal situation at all. Not sure if that pink wire is seperately fused and may be blown or not. I sure find it odd that it's completely dead!
    dlpuette, as mentioned, the +12V pink (PK) wire is switched by way of the "IGN 1" relay, and the wire/circuit is protected by the ISRVM 7.5A fuse located at the underhood fuse block. You should have +12V power on the pink wire only when the ignition switch is placed in the "ON/RUN" position. You will not have +12V power on the pink wire with the ignition switch placed in the "ACC/ACCESSORY" or "OFF" positions.

Notes:
    1. With the ignition switch placed in "ON/RUN" you should have +12V on the pink wire whether the engine is running or not
    2. The four positions of the ignition switch are: OFF--ACC/ACCESSORY--ON/RUN (Ignition)--START
    3. With the ignition switch placed in "ON/RUN"... if you don't have +12V on the pink wire check the ISRVM 7.5A fuse (mini-fuse ref. #61)

Rab
    Once again, I thank you for staying with me on this and being so damn helpful!!!

I'm not sure that I ever actually started the engine when I was testing it. Only turned it to accessory on. I'll throw a meter on it tonight and check. It did seem odd to me that that wire never got ANY voltage at all!! Got my fingers crossed!!! I'll also check that fuse too.

mkelch is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe, Metallic Black Ice

BTW, that seems to be a rather huge honkin GPS unit you have!
    I'l bet you say that to all the guys! LOL Actually it's a 5". I hear they have a 7" now too. Hmmmmm

I actually keep it in there full time with the map always showing. It saves me a lot of times even when I'm not actually under navigation. Just nice to see streets that are coming nup etc. Once you drive with one always on, it becomes normal and nice to have. I do the same thing with my wife's car that has nav. Just keep the map on all the time. That why I wanted to wire it in for ignition on power. It's automatic power up and down and I never have to mess with it.[/QUOTE]

You are right about having a GPS on most of the time just for ongoing guidance and location awareness. I don't use it much around town, but when travelling anywhere else, I guess I have it turned on 100 percent of the time. Your install looks fine......can't believe they actually make a seven incher! GPS, that is.

Well, new development. I pulled the meter out last night and that pink pin only reads .05v when the ignition is on or engine running. Almost like a control volatge. I triple checked it using all sides of the connector with the meter probe just to be sure I was making contact. Same result on all sides.

I pulled the #61 fuse and it was good. I noticed that fuse is powering the mirror and backup camera in the mirror and both of those work. So it's a total mystery to me!! I also checked every other pin in that connector and the only 12v power I found in it was the always-on red/wh wire. This is really strange!!

I pulled down the overhead console to look for anything that might be possible there. Looks like connectors for the two map lights, connector for the Homelink buttons, one that appears to be the Bluetooth mic?? (is that where its located?) and one more that I couldn't tell what it's for. Any chance there's some switched power up there? The map lights seem to be always on. Not sure about the Homelink.

RAB
    dlpuette, that's an interesting and unexpected development you've got there. Suggest you check the following... with the engine running, connect your multimeter leads between installed fuse #61 and vehicle ground/chassis (connect your meter's black/neg lead to an appropriate ground location underhood). What is the voltage? On your meter you should be seeing 12-14 volts. Let us know what you find.
    In your attempt to measure voltage at the pink wire/pin with the ignition switch in ON/RUN, are you certain you're connecting the black/neg meter lead to true vehicle ground/chassis? What are you connecting your meter's black/neg lead to?
    Note that the IGN 1 relay (aka Ignition Main Relay) sees B+ Bus voltage on its movable contact, and the relay's normally open stationary contact connects to the ISRVM fuse (mini-fuse #61). The relay picks up when the ignition switch is moved to ON/RUN.

RAB
    I tried a few different grounding points. The most solid was one of the protruding bolts in the door frame
    I did a continuity test between that point and a few other metal things in the interior - like the key, ring in the accessory port etc. All showed good continuity to ground. When I had the meter grounded there I checked the red/wh pin in the mirror and got a solid 12v there, so I know that grounding point was good.

I will try under the hood to take a reading on fuse #61 tonight when I get home.

I still find it odd that I got a .05v DC reading on the pink pin. When I first got the Invisiwire I connected it solid to that pink pin slot and the ground to the BL/WH wire in the same connector. Obviously the V1 didn't power up. But I know I had solid connections on both. I left the ground wire there and plugged the hot wire into the R/W wire and got instant power up. So I know my ground is good. And as I mentioned earlier, I went through and tested every one of the 10 connections in that connector to see if GM recoded the colors. (I did this with both ignition off and on) The only pin in there that ever gets 12v is the R/W and it's on at all times.

Maybe the #61 fuse check will reveal something. I know the mirror has power because the green pilot light on the front comes on and the backup camera works. This one is a real baffler!!!

By any chance did you have a look see at the overhead console diagrams? Any opportunity for switched power there? I really want to track this down. Its been a major PIA turning the V1 on and off due to the always-on power. I either forget to turn it on or forget to turn it off!

hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Sportwagon 18.2city 28hwy 25hwy AC on

Now I'm glad I didn't try to use the mirror stem harness for 12volt power on my detector. IMO what I thought was a comparatively harder feed from the console up through the windshield moldings, really wasn't bad.

hauler
    At the end of the day, that might turn out to be my only option!

RAB

RAB
    ----------------------------------------
    ----------------------------------------
    The only pin in there that ever gets 12v is the R/W and it's on at all times.
    Maybe the #61 fuse check will reveal something. I know the mirror has power because the green pilot light on the front comes on and the backup camera works. This one is a real baffler!!!
    By any chance did you have a look see at the overhead console diagrams? Any opportunity for switched power there? I really want to track this down. Its been a major PIA turning the V1 on and off due to the always-on power. I either forget to turn it on or forget to turn it off!
    dlpuette, I looked at the schematics that cover the standard components in the overhead console and there is no available/appropriate switched power up there. Btw.. is your CTS Coupe equipped with a sunroof?
    If I was home now (rather than overseas) I could troubleshoot this entire switched power issue you're facing with my own 2011 CTS.
    If the pink wire /IGN circuit is somehow being used only as a signal /turn-on trigger wire for the inside rear view mirror (and does not provide switched +12V power in itself), then this aspect is not indicated in the schematic I'm looking at or in the rear view mirror function/description in the service manual.
    I'm curious to hear about your results when you measure the voltage between mini-fuse #61 and vehicle ground with the engine running.

Update
    First off had a discrepency in the fuse #'s between my owner's manual and what's stamped on the actual fuse box! The numbers were all different but the layout was exactly the same. I double checked that I was on the Coupe diagram in the book. All this is so weird. I for sure have a 13 with a build date of Aug 2012

But I did check what the manual says is #61 (7.5a) and it got 12v with both accessory on and engine running.

Btw - no sunroof in my coupe

Here's the drawing vs actual. If you zoom into what should be #61, it's stamped as F38 (its on the top row far right 7.5a fuse)

Fuse drawing.JPG Actual Fuse block.JPG

First off had a discrepency in the fuse #'s between my owner's manual and what's stamped on the actual fuse box! The numbers were all different but the layout was exactly the same. I double checked that I was on the Coupe diagram in the book. All this is so weird
    I made inquiries to the dealer, this forum, and Cadillac tech support about my fuse panel not matching the books. The reply was essentially WYSIWYG.

LOL! So who do you beleive?? The manual or the panel? Or do you beleive the manual for the fuse # and hunt and peck it in the panel?
    Because the is no #61 fuse on my panel!

I used the numbers in the book to find the fuses on the board, except, all the fuses and breakers on the left side of the wagon diagram are missing in my car, and the double row of fuses in the center of the diagram are unknown or spare.

I'm happy I found the Auxiliary Power Outlet fuses. I hope they're the only ones that I ever need to replace.

RAB

Per the service manual, there are very few 7.5A fuses on the underhood fuse block. The "AQS-ISRVM-REAR CAMERA" 7.5A fuse is at the top right section of the fuse block. There are no other 7.5A fuses in that section of the fuse block. There's the "MISC IGN" 10A fuse situated directly below the 7.5A fuse we're talking about and the "IGN MAIN" relay is situated directly below that.

dlpuette, if you're measuring +12V at the AQM-ISRVM-REAR CAMERA 7.5A fuse with the engine running, while at the same time not getting +12V on the pink wire at the ISRVM connector, then I'm at a loss to understand/explain that.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.