Help! How to find 12v power in center stack - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Help! How to find 12v power in center stack in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I meant the radio grille in the center of the dash, near the windshield...
    hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Sportwagon 18.2city 28hwy 25hwy AC on

Re: Help! How to find 12v power in center stack

I meant the radio grille in the center of the dash, near the windshield

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Here's a reference to instrument panel components for the 2008-2013 CTS:

(1) P19H Speaker – Left Front Tweeter
    (2) S78 Turn Signal/Multifunction Switch
    (3) S70L Steering Wheel Controls Switch – Left
    (4) P16 Instrument Cluster
    (5) S70R Steering Wheel Controls Switch – Right
    (6) S82 Windshield Wiper/Washer Switch
    (7) B10B Ambient Light/Sunload Sensor
    (8) P17 Info Display Module (UAV, U2X, or U2Y)
    (9) P19B Speaker – Center Instrument Panel
    (10) P6 Clock
    (11) F101 Passenger Instrument Panel Air Bag
    (12) P19AH Speaker – Right Front Door
    (13) E1H Accent Lamp – Right Instrument Panel (TSQ)
    (14) E27 Instrument Panel Compartment Lamp
    (15) A20 Radio/HVAC Controls
    (16) A20 Radio/HVAC Controls
    (17) X80H Accessory Power Receptacle – Center Console
    (18) A20 Radio/HVAC Controls
    (19) E32F Cigarette Lighter Receptacle – Front
    (20) A20 Radio/HVAC Controls
    (21) B7A Inside Air Temperature Sensor
    (22) F107 Steering Wheel Air Bag
    (23) X84 Data Link Connector
    (24) S36 Instrument Panel Dimmer Switch
    (25) S16 Driver Information Center Switch
    (26) E1G Accent Lamp – Left Instrument Panel (TSQ)

RAB

dlpuette, as info.. the main wiring harness that runs in/under the console of your CTS Coupe is connected to the body harness body (at the front end of the console near the IP/center stack) via a connector referred to as "X237 Console Harness to Body Harness". The manual states the following for the X237 harness connector location: "In the passenger compartment, under the right front of the center console, next to X250". The connector (male/female) for this console harness is a 14-way hybrid type (i.e. connector has 14 pins). The manual states the connector is light gray in color, but that info may not be accurate for all cars built.
    Here's the pin-out for the connector. Note that pin #8 is associated with the RD/WH wires (switched 12V accessory power) you're wanting to tap into.

dlpuette is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 AWD Performance Coupe, 2011 Harley ElectraGlide Limited

RAb
    Thanks again!! Below is a photo of that connector on the passenger side. I think I should be good to go hooking in to either of the red/wh wires and the black ground. It only says Battery Positive Voltage on your chart, but I assume its switched. I'll find out soon enough.
    Nothing beats a service manual!!!! Wish I had one!

IMG_1102-resize.JPG

Mistercoffee2 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by dlpuette View Post
    RAb
    Cadillac Owners.com beats the hell out of paying $300(??) for the service manuals.

RAB

RAb
    Thanks again!! Below is a photo of that connector on the passenger side. I think I should be good to go hooking in to either of the red/wh wires and the black ground. It only says Battery Positive Voltage on your chart, but I assume its switched. I'll find out soon enough.
    ^ Very good - so the connector is in fact light gray in color.
    Although it says Battery Positive Voltage on the chart, rest assured it's a switched +12V supply. Below is the power outlet schematic for the 2013 CTS. As you can see the +12V supply that feeds the accessory power receptacles goes through a normally open contact of the accessory power relay. The relay is de-energized when the car is turned off (i.e. or more exactly.. the moment when retained accessory power has shut down / timed out).

Rab - That's great! You are amazingly helpful and I really appreciate that!! Hope I can return the favor someday!! Do you work at a dealer? I noticed you have a 12. You have great access to manuals!!

I see that line is fused, which is good. I wasn't planning on putting in an inline fuse in the new wiring. I'm gonna do a standard T tap on the power line. I already fished the wires up to the cavity behind the LCD panel and wired in an accessory outlet. Almost done with the mounting of the Garmin to the console top. All that's left is to get this power connected. I'll post some pics of the final install when I get it done this coming weekend.

Again, thanks for all your help!!

RAB

^ dlpuette, not a problem, my pleasure - glad to hear it's working out for you.

RAB - I'm going to do the splice-in tomorrow morning and will let you know.

I have another favor to ask. I bought an Invisicord to hook up my Valentine One detector to the mirror connector. There's a bunch of threads on this install but all of them are for 2012 and earlier. Seems Cadillac changed the layout of the wires and colors in the connector for 13 (who the hell knows why!!!). so all the pics people posted don't match up to my car. Do you by any chance have access to the connector diagram for the mirror connector for 2013 coupes? I found that the red/white stripe cable is non switched power, but can't find the switched power in the connector. The cavities are too small for me to get a multimeter lead in there. Any input or help you could provide would - once again - be deeply appreciated!!

Update - I called the dealer to ask if they'd look this info up for me and got a 15 minute lecture from the service manager on why no one should EVER tap into ANY circuit in the car. Gave me a song and dance about computers in the car will all go haywire because every circuit is computer controlled, how every warranty claim will be in peril etc etc. In the end he wouldn't tell me what wire is switched.

RAB

^ dlpuette - okay, sounds good. Before beginning the splice-in make sure of course your ignition is in the OFF position and retained accessory power is also canceled /timed out. Before splicing check to make sure your 12V receptacles are at zero volts.

Re the other item.. on the 2013 CTS the connector at the ceiling for the inside rearview mirror is a 10-way (10 pin) connector, and the manual says it's black in color. Don't know if the rearview mirror in your car is equipped with a rear camera display or not (there are two different schematics involved, depending on whether or not the car is equipped with factory Nav), but that doesn't really matter because the switched +12V wire/circuit you need to tap into is identical on both schematics. The wire you want to use is pink (PK) in color and goes into pin #2 in the connector. This wire/circuit is classified as IGN (ignition) and is switched by way of the IGN 1 Relay, with the wire/circuit being protected by the ISRVM (inside rearview mirror) 7.5A fuse located at the underhood fuse block. As info this fuse is referenced as mini-fuse #61 in your '13 CTS owner's manual, page 10-37.
    Note the IGN 1 Relay / ISRVM 7.5A fuse circuit provides a +12V activating/power signal to your auto day/night inside rearview mirror as well as provides power to the rearview camera and air quality sensor (for the HVAC system). No doubt the 12V power demands of your Valentine 1 are pretty low (probably less than 500 milliamps), but suggest you check its operating specs before splicing.
    The vehicle chassis/ negative -12V wire that feeds the mirror connector goes into pin #5. The schematic says the wire color is solid black (BK), but the connector pin-out wire color detail says its black/white (BK/WH). Let us know what you find.
    Hope this info helps, and the job goes well for you.

mkelch is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe, Metallic Black Ice

I too use a Garmin plastic adhesive disc (Amazon, 2 for 9 bucks). I placed the disc so that it is centered in the area where the LCD panel for the radio information display is. If you look at that LCD display, you have a selection of hard-keys for picking your station presets etc. I placed the disc, centered, so that the adhesive on the back grabs onto the flat plastic surface that sits just in front of those hard-keys/buttons. This provides enough adhesion to keep the disc mounted in place. It DOES mean that those two center buttons/keys are no longer easily accessible, but I don't really care since I never use them anyway. I just leave the disc there and then when I need to use my GPS, I just grab the suction cup mount, slap it onto that disc and away we go!

Or you can be lazy, as I sometimes am, and just leave that suction mount attached to the disc, and removing the actual GPS unit from the mount for safe-keeping. Yes, leaving the mount attached to the disc partially obstructs the LCD display, but only partially, and to me is not a big deal. This solution allows for easy GPS removal for safe-keeping, and also places the GPS unit in a really convenient location for finger-access to the GPS onscreen functions. Having the GPS display in this location also means your passenger also has a great view of the GPS screen.

One thing I would NOT attempt is messing with that center stack in any way, especially modifying any of the wiring. That's just me, though. Good luck!

Thanks guys for all the input!! I'm gonna tackle this over the weekend. I'll post back how it goes!

Hauler - I'm curious about the placement of that plastic disc. I thought about putting one somewhere in the middle of the dash to keep using the suction mount, but couldn't find an area big enough that's flat to put one. What do you mean by the radio screen? Mine is only about 1 1/2" tall (if you mean the non-nav LCD screen at the top of the stack.

hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Sportwagon 18.2city 28hwy 25hwy AC on

I called the dealer to ask if they'd look this info up for me and got a 15 minute lecture from the service manager on why no one should EVER tap into ANY circuit in the car. Gave me a song and dance about computers in the car will all go haywire because every circuit is computer controlled, how every warranty claim will be in peril etc etc. In the end he wouldn't tell me what wire is switched.
    That's why I ended up using the the console connector for the 12volt power outlets. In the unlikely event of a CPU failure, I don't want to give them an excuse to give me the repair bill.

Just a quick update - I finished the Garmin install and it went perfect. I'll post a pic or two of the final mounting. Tapping into the console connector was simple and all works and functions flawlessly!

The Valentine connection to the mirror didn't go as well. I located the pink wire on the mirror connector and it has no power at all - ignition on or off. I'm puzzled by this because that wire has been mentioned consistently (although a diff location in my 13) in all V1 installs as a switched 12v supply. I checked every wire in the connector with a meter and the only one that gets power is the red/wh striped one. But it is powered all the time - no switch. For now I have the V1 powered off this and have to turn it off and on at the detector. Not an ideal situation at all. Not sure if that pink wire is seperately fused and may be blown or not. I sure find it odd that it's completely dead!

Here's some pics of the Garmin install. I'm changing out the ugly screws with a tapered ones, so no flaming there please. I figure if I ever decide to not have it in the car, those console tops haven't changed in years and every boneyard would have one for cheap.
    I put it offset toward the driver and it's in a great location (still swivels for copilot entry as well). I ran the wire down into the cavity behind the radio display so the only visible wire is about an inch long.

Garmin1.jpg Garmin2.jpg Garmin3.jpg

mkelch is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe, Metallic Black Ice

My Garmin install is a lot more basic, probably not as pretty to be sure. Pic 1 shows the black disc sitting on that little "shelf" in front of the radio buttons. Pic 2 shows the suction mount sitting on the disc. Pic 3 and 4 show the GPS mounted in final position.

Yep...the wire shows. But I do like the idea that in a couple of seconds I can take the whole thing off, except for the disc. And I did not have to mess with any wiring, which is good because I am not electrically handy anyway.

As I mentioned before, the fully-mounted GPS partially blocks the view of the LCD...usually a non-issue for me. Also, I would say that, of all the time I spend in the car, I use the GPS about 20% of the time, at best. If I needed it every day for commuting etc. I might have pursued more aggressive installation options.

BTW, that seems to be a rather huge honkin GPS unit you have!
    Attached Images

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.