Gas Mileage Question??
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Gas Mileage Question?? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Sure this has been asked before.. and I saw a similar thread on here that was posted. I recently purchased ...
    jake2214 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS AWD

Question Gas Mileage Question??

Sure this has been asked before.. and I saw a similar thread on here that was posted. I recently purchased my 2009 CTS AWD 3.6 DI about a month ago, and the little average MPG meter in the gauge cluster has fluctuated from 20.8 to around 21 MPG city/highway. Is this normal for everyone else? I was looking at getting a cold air intake or something to try and increase it. It isn't terrible MPG, and I love the car, just curious if this is average or if there is something wrong with my car?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

Re: Gas Mileage Question??

If the state where you live is 10% ethanol mix fuel the readings will be inaccurate so you have to calculate beteen actual fill ups your self.
    My Rwd got 16-18 city and only 22 highway.
    How ever on a 600+ mile trip a few weeks ago my b.f. got 27-28 highway out of my CTS just by shifting into performance mode once up to speed on the highway to reduce engine braking, Part of the programming for Sport Mode reduces or eliminates engine braking.

I have only had 1 CTS awd loaner car and I was left with the opinion that the Mileage was even worse which was no surprise to me.

If you want a Volant cold air kit for your car I can cut you a good deal on one that was never even ran on a car just installed then realized it didn't fit on a 2011 because it was made to fit 2008-2009.

MaxBuck is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 DI Blue Diamond

So far I am getting a bit less than 24 mpg highway and about 18 in the city; about 21-22 overall. For an AWD I'm not at all displeased.

CTSCHICK, thanks for the tip about the performance shifter mode. I'll try that the next time I'm on a highway trip.

HurstGN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by CTSCHICK View Post
    If the state where you live is 10% ethanol mix fuel the readings will be inaccurate so you have to calculate beteen actual fill ups your self.
    Why does the ethanol mix matter? If that's the case, then I'd think a majority of cars would be wrong.

GM does not use the E10 or whatever it is called 10% ethanol mixed fuel for any testing.
    They still use the 100% fuel that used to be available every where.

srorobs is offline Cadillac Owners Member

How ever on a 600+ mile trip a few weeks ago my b.f. got 27-28 highway out of my CTS just by shifting into performance mode once up to speed on the highway to reduce engine braking, Part of the programming for Sport Mode reduces or eliminates engine braking.
    So the only difference in highway driving between your 22 MPG average and your boyfriend's 27-28 was using performance mode? I wonder what else changes besides engine braking. I decided to read up on it and found the wikipedia article, which states:

Additionally, most modern engines don't use any fuel while engine braking which helps reduce fuel consumption.[citation needed] This is known as DFCO or Deceleration Fuel Cut-Off and is used with Burn and Coast. Although being phased out from road traffic, there are still plenty of carbureted engines in service, on the most of which engine braking is counter-productive to fuel economy due to the lack of a DFCO mechanism. With increasing fuel prices, the loss in wasted fuel can well outweigh the gain from saving mechanical brake parts.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_braking

Engine braking also reduces the distances you are able to coast forcing you to accelerate more to get back up to speed.

The deceleration tables still cut off or reduce fuel in both situations.

Look up the SRX recalls with Performance mode and why Gm did the recall.

srorobs is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Engine braking also reduces the distances you are able to coast.
    Gotcha, I primarily drive on the Parkway for work, so I am going to test it out and see if it makes a difference. So far the biggest factor in my fuel economy has been me forcing myself to resist driving it like I did in the first week of owning it!

Mistercoffee2 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

I have only had 1 CTS awd loaner car and I was left with the opinion that the Mileage was even worse which was no surprise to me.

If you want a Volant cold air kit for your car I can cut you a good deal on one that was never even ran on a car just installed then realized it didn't fit on a 2011 because it was made to fit 2008-2009.
    CTSCHICK, I have waited three days to respond to this and if I had any hair I have scratched it all out thinking about this.

First, my understanding is that the ECM calculates how much fluid it squirted vs the distanced the car traveled and displays that number. It does not care if it is squirting gasoline or ethanol. The number displayed would may very well be different but not necessarily inaccurate. How am I wrong?

Second, where can I read about "Part of the programming for Sport Mode reduces or eliminates engine braking"?

Thanks

It is right here Mr. Coffee.

The NHTSA says that the transmissions ail from a software problem that could cause the vehicle to shift into sport mode, which removes any transmission-related braking effect. In doing so, the NHTSA says that the fault increases the risk of a crash.

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2013/03/...#ixzz2e4DBcT7k

Regarding the rest you can find your self.

It is right here Mr. Coffee.

The NHTSA says that the transmissions ail from a software problem that could cause the vehicle to shift into sport mode, which removes any transmission-related braking effect. In doing so, the NHTSA says that the fault increases the risk of a crash.

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2013/03/...#ixzz2e4DBcT7k

Regarding the rest you can find your self.
    I don't think that applies to the CTS.

I'm more interested in the theory that running in sport mode produces better fuel milage and how that relates to engine braking.

Thank you.

the CTS has the same type of programming.

the CTS has the same type of programming.
    More detailed description.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...3V097-2200.pdf

So, to test the removal of engine braking in sport mode I will have to engage sports mode after getting to highway speed. Is that correct? I used the manual shift to get to 6th gear and highway speed and I had engine braking. Oh well, another reason to go for a ride.

God knows I could use more fuel milage but I fail to see how any of this applies, but I love testing theories.

That is all he shared with me, I was in the back seat with my g.f's for the entire trip.
    Other than that he handed me the fill slip from when we left and the fill slip before we headed home and then again when we got home and told me to do the math both times.

That is all he shared with me, I was in the back seat with my g.f's for the entire trip.
    Other than that he handed me the fill slip from when we left and the fill slip before we headed home and then again when we got home and told me to do the math both times.
    I hope someone doing a road trip will test this with one tank in normal and another tank in sport made. Until then I will remain hopeful but skeptical.

Thanks for your input.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.