Pulsing Brakes?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Pulsing Brakes? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Okay I am brand new to this forum and I know that I may get flamed for this, but I ...
    jake2214 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS AWD

Pulsing Brakes?

Okay I am brand new to this forum and I know that I may get flamed for this, but I just have a question about my AWD 2009 cadillac CTS AWD. When I am at high speeds coming off of the freeway or so, when I start to slow down I feel a pulsing sensation, and the shifter knob moves back and fourth. I am guessing that my rotors are warped? or is this just a normal thing for cadillacs this year?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by jake2214
    Okay I am brand new to this forum and I know that I may get flamed for this, but I just have a question about my AWD 2009 cadillac CTS AWD. When I am at high speeds coming off of the freeway or so, when I start to slow down I feel a pulsing sensation, and the shifter knob moves back and fourth. I am guessing that my rotors are warped? or is this just a normal thing for cadillacs this year?

Thanks
    Warped rotor. Needs to be resurfaced.

arw1510 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD
    General question: what's anyone's past experience with how long the original pads and rotors lasted? More specifically je5 brakes

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: Pulsing Brakes?

Quote Originally Posted by jake2214 View Post

Thanks
    Hello jake2214,

Welcome to the forum! This is a great site with a wealth of information and I see you have already got some! If you are still concerned about the pulsing sensation in your CTS and are planning on taking your vehicle to the dealership, I would be more than happy to assist you in working with them. Please private message me or reach out to me at socialmedia@gm.com if you would like my assistance. When you send your email, please be sure to include “ATTN GREG” so that it gets delivered straight to me. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

dandunham is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS performance mdl 3.6L

Nope, Not normal. it should be a smooth stop. mine had a slight pulse when slowing, I took it in under warranty and they resurfaced while I waited and its great now. I have no idea what brake rotors cost to resurface but it should not be much. depending on how many miles you have you might think about just putting new rotors on with new pads and call it a day.

loosend is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DI RWD w/ Prem & Perf Pkgs Blk/Blk FE2

No flame here--My '08 did it when I bought it at 30K miles and the rotors needed to be turned at that point but I now have about 50K miles and it is doing it again. I am going to pull the wheels to make sure I have a good amount of brake pad left and if so, will have them turned again. However, when I need new pads, I am going to buy new rotors since this problem recurred. The brakes are excellent as designed IMHO.

Joe
    Joe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS blk/blk

Yup warped rotors...I think, but I'm kind of reaching here, these brakes are two small for this vehicle. I feel they should all be the larger design that is on the sport model. I've been through this twice on this vehicle WAY before I need the pads replaced and that is not normal. Don't bother cutting them it will just come back; replace the rotors with a quality rotor and keep your fingers crossed. best of luck

Joe

like2drive is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS RWD 3.6L SFI Black Cherry / Cashmere

Been though that as well. At 10K miles, front rotors resurfaced under warranty because of vibration upon braking. At 20K miles, resurfaced again under warranty. At 30K miles, front rotors replaced under warranty. At 50K miles, I replaced the front rotors and pads myself. Now, 57K miles and still smooth when braking, at least for now! My brakes are the standard JE5.

MKWAGON is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 AWD Sportwagon, Diamond white, 3.6 DI

Warped rotors eh? Doubtful. Maybe read this: http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths.
    And then this: http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...and-procedures.

Then get some new rotors and break them in as outlined. I'm sure your problem will be solved. I've never had such issues on any of our vehicles since following these procedures. MK
    RAB and C&C like this.

Joe
    Joe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS blk/blk

Great information but useless to the average driver that slams on his brakes when doing about 75mph on the way to to work then splashes through a few puddles. You can break those pads and rotors in all day long and transfer all the metal you want, but two months later when you are wearing a f...ing cup of coffee on your lap after barely eating the guy in front of you ass, that break in has turned to shit; This is called a "HOT SPOT" and lovingly called a warped rotor. Save all that technical B.S. in a nice little folder in you computer and go buy some good quality (not racing) pads and rotors and continue to drive normal. A hot spot is the result of heat treatment gone bad. When the pad hits these little spots there is a speed up and slow down process that pulses the pad and ends up in the palm of your hand. I still believe that GM should have used the larger rotors on ALL the CTS's ....have a fun day
    Bandit1 and snofun3 like this.

snofun3 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS4

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Great information but useless to the average driver that slams on his brakes when doing about 75mph on the way to to work then splashes through a few puddles. You can break those pads and rotors in all day long and transfer all the metal you want, but two months later when you are wearing a f...ing cup of coffee on your lap after barely eating the guy in front of you ass, that break in has turned to shit; This is called a "HOT SPOT" and lovingly called a warped rotor. Save all that technical B.S. in a nice little folder in you computer and go buy some good quality (not racing) pads and rotors and continue to drive normal. A hot spot is the result of heat treatment gone bad. When the pad hits these little spots there is a speed up and slow down process that pulses the pad and ends up in the palm of your hand. I still believe that GM should have used the larger rotors on ALL the CTS's ....have a fun day
    Exactly correct. Anyone who thinks warped rotors won't happen after some kind of specialized break-in doesn't live in the real world of I95 (or I-5, or, or) commuting.

In 30k I had three sets of rotors on my car (yes, I drive hard), which was more than I ever had with any other car except for my 84 Supra. One time the dealer screwed them up, but otherwise the brakes are marginal for the weight of the car (savings weight, saving money, padding the maintenance opportunities etc).

If you drive the car hard, expect to be doing rotors fairly regularly. There's a couple other threads about this here regarding the same issue.

loosend is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DI RWD w/ Prem & Perf Pkgs Blk/Blk FE2

Quote Originally Posted by MKWAGON View Post
    Warped rotors eh? Doubtful. Maybe read this: http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths.
    And then this: http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...and-procedures.

Then get some new rotors and break them in as outlined. I'm sure your problem will be solved. I've never had such issues on any of our vehicles since following these procedures. MK
    So turning the rotors fixes the pulsing because it removes the remants of the brake pad that is causing the un-even surface and saying the rotors are warped is a misnomer. However, the rotor surface is still the problem. Interesting.

dandunham is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS performance mdl 3.6L

My last car had under sized rotors (Infinity) and it was a continuous problem. I tried slotted and drilled rotors all with the same problem. the factory just used too small of a rotor. I also had an Audi that was a far heavier car but with much larger rotors and never had a problem in 165K miles. Just looking at the standard brakes on this car they look undersized to me. so I fully expect to continue to have pulsing brakes over time.
    it sounds like some of you have found a brand that works well - what is that brand? are the kits that can be had to upsize the rotors?
    Even with just a slight pulse I find it very irritating that this happens on any car.
    If anybody has a proven good solution please post and let us all know.

billeee is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS 2012 CTS

Probably warped rotors. I have been following this forum for a couple of years and there are not a lot of brake problem threads.

Were the wheels removed and replaced just prior to the problem starting? Improper lug nut torque can warp the rotors.
    tinman, tinman and tinman like this.

Bandit1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS 3.6DI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Been there...done that. I agree.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.