vibration
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, vibration in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; My CTS has a vibration in the steering wheel that comes and goes. You can also see it significantly in ...
    rulison is offline Cadillac Owners Member

vibration

My CTS has a vibration in the steering wheel that comes and goes. You can also see it significantly in the front passengers seat.
    Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by rulison
    My CTS has a vibration in the steering wheel that comes and goes. You can also see it significantly in the front passengers seat.
    Any thoughts?
    Out of balance tires are a common culprit for vibrations. It is usually speed related. In other words in happens within a range (for example between 55-60 mph) and lessen or disappear outside of that range therefore you might want to check to see if the "comes and goes" happens with fluctuations in speed.

Also an out of balance front tire will cause the steering wheel to shake. Rear tires that are out of balance can usually be felt as an overall vibration or in the seat. Also check to make sure you don't have a bent wheel.

Other possibilities might be a driveshaft/u-joint issue or problems with the axle, differential, transmission or bearings. Bearing problems usually vibrate regardless of speed, but get worse and louder the faster you go. Drive shaft issues could be speed dependent.

I'd start with the easiest, least expensive and most likely cause first, an out of balance tire, and work from there.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: vibration

Quote Originally Posted by rulison View Post
    Any thoughts?
    Hello rulison,

I am sorry your CTS has a vibration in the steering wheel. I understand how this can be a concern and you are looking for information towards a resolution. I would like to look into this for you. Please reach out to me via private message and include your full contact information, VIN and current mileage.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63

Out of balance tires are a common culprit for vibrations. It is usually speed related. In other words in happens within a range (for example between 55-60 mph) and lessen or disappear outside of that range therefore you might want to check to see if the "comes and goes" happens with fluctuations in speed.

Also an out of balance front tire will cause the steering wheel to shake. Rear tires that are out of balance can usually be felt as an overall vibration or in the seat. Also check to make sure you don't have a bent wheel.

Other possibilities might be a driveshaft/u-joint issue or problems with the axle, differential, transmission or bearings. Bearing problems usually vibrate regardless of speed, but get worse and louder the faster you go. Drive shaft issues could be speed dependent.

I's start with the easiest, least expensive and most likely cause first, an out of balance tire, and work from there.
    It seems as though the speed does not make a difference. It just seems to be more apparent at times and less at other times...could bad spark plugs cause an issue like this?

rkj4243 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Luxury Sedan AWD Black Raven

An engine misfire caused by a "bad" spark plug would most likely also set a DTC (diagnostic trouble code) and cause the yellow Check Engine Light to come on.

Another way to check an engine misfire without the vehicle moving is to have it running, in gear, foot on brake, and lightly push on accelerator to see if you can feel any abnormal vibration in the wheel or seat.

Quote Originally Posted by rkj4243
    An engine misfire caused by a "bad" spark plug would most likely also set a DTC (diagnostic trouble code) and cause the yellow Check Engine Light to come on.

Another way to check an engine misfire without the vehicle moving is to have it running, in gear, foot on brake, and lightly push on accelerator to see if you can feel any abnormal vibration in the wheel or seat.
    Just checked it....doesn't seem to be the problem, but u have helped me rule that one out. TY

somedaycts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS4

What model year? These cars seem pretty sensitive to vibrations. The 22 months I owned my 09, it always had vibrations you described, along with a drone at certain speeds. Even after service bulletins, numerous alignments, different tires, replaced suspension components, etc. Some stuff made it better, but it never went away.

Quote Originally Posted by somedaycts
    What model year? These cars seem pretty sensitive to vibrations. The 22 months I owned my 09, it always had vibrations you described, along with a drone at certain speeds. Even after service bulletins, numerous alignments, different tires, replaced suspension components, etc. Some stuff made it better, but it never went away.
    2009... I hope that's not the case.

Joe
    Joe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS blk/blk

It depends on the moon and the tides. I hate the vibrations in my car and I cannot figure it out. I would love to put cameras and vibration sensors all over this vehicle and shove the results under the engineers noses. The fact that they are not being held accountable for this is insulting to the owners that have to live with this day after day. The day is coming when I dump this POS because of it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.