2013 CTS Coupe....Winter Layup????
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By gohawks63
  • 1 Post By gohawks63
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2013 CTS Coupe....Winter Layup???? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I may not drive my CTS during winter. What is the best practice for "putting my Cadi to sleep" for ...
  1. #1
    Gerry1946 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS Coupe
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Racine, WI
    Posts
    27

    2013 CTS Coupe....Winter Layup????

    I may not drive my CTS during winter. What is the best practice for "putting my Cadi to sleep" for 3 months?

    1. Do you need to use the fuel additive to prevent the fuel from going bad? I wonder if the fuel treatment is only needed with leaded fuel?

    2. I imagine I would need to put a trickle charger on the battery. Should I disconnect the battery? What is the best way to do this?

    3. Is it best to put the car on blocks?

    My other option is to only drive it when roads are clear. I figure this way I can avoid issues with fuel and battery drain.

    Hmmmmmm? Perhaps I should go on vacation to some southern state where it is warm and no snow.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    gohawks63's Avatar
    gohawks63 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,364
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry1946
    I may not drive my CTS during winter. What is the best practice for "putting my Cadi to sleep" for 3 months?

    1. Do you need to use the fuel additive to prevent the fuel from going bad? I wonder if the fuel treatment is only needed with leaded fuel?

    2. I imagine I would need to put a trickle charger on the battery. Should I disconnect the battery? What is the best way to do this?

    3. Is it best to put the car on blocks?

    My other option is to only drive it when roads are clear. I figure this way I can avoid issues with fuel and battery drain.

    Hmmmmmm? Perhaps I should go on vacation to some southern state where it is warm and no snow.
    We have a Mustang convertible that we only drive in warmer weather. Typically goes to sleep in November and comes out in March/April.

    Three months is not a very long time. I do the following:

    1. Change oil - there are acids and other contaminants in used oil. You don't want those just sitting there.

    2. Add a fuel stabilizer like Sta-bil or something comparable to a full tank of gas and drive it for 20 or so miles to make sure the additive works it's way through the entire fuel system.

    3. Some people put the car on blocks to prevent flat spots on the tires. Like I said 3 months isn't that long. When I have noticed flat spots they usually work themselves out after a few miles. If you do put your car on blocks, make sure that the springs remain compressed. In other words position the blocks under suspension components (like control arms) to ensure that the springs are compressed.

    4. Put a trickle charger on the battery either have it on constantly or connect it every few weeks. The Caddy has more electronics in it than my Mustang so it might make sense to do it more often.

    5. Every month or so I will start it and make sure it completely warms up. I try to do it on a nice sunny dry day so that I can pull it out of the garage and just drive it once up and down the street. This makes sure that the fluids in the trans and differential get circulating so that seals and gaskets don't dry up. It also gets the tires moving and reduces the occurrence of flat spots and eliminates the need to put the car on blocks.

    Hope that helps!

    ----------

    A few more thoughts on maintaining a battery charge.

    These cars have a lot of electronics and processors that might go a little goofy if the battery consistently drains and especially if you try to crank it after it has drained.

    A couple of times I let our Mustang (2006) completely drain (unintentionally of course) and when I went to start it, the drain on what was left of any power caused all kinds of issues. After jumping it or charging it the feature that drops down the windows a quarter inch (which the CTS coupe has) to clear the roof no longer worked (which made opening and closing the door challenging), along with the express up/down features, so I had to go through the relearning processes to get that stuff working again. Another time the gas gauge "forgot" where what the level was. Even when it was full it was showing half a tank. I had to disconnect the battery to reset that system. The radio, in addition to having to restore the presets I had to reset the settings like the auto volume, RDS display, etc.

    My point is, try to keep the battery on a trickle charge. If you haven't and it's been a while, it might be a good idea to connect a charger on it for a while BEFORE you try and start it.

    Edit: I also forgot to add that with a coupe, if you let it drain completely you may not be able to get into it that easily. You'll have to use the key in the fob to open the trunk to access the cable to manually open the doors.
    tinman likes this.

  4. #3
    tinman's Avatar
    tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Posts
    3,752

    Re: 2013 CTS Coupe....Winter Layup????

    Great write up, GoHawks. I had an MGB I used to lay up every winter, and you covered everything well. The oil change out is well stated and very important as is the fuel additive "Sta-Bil" (for unleaded gasoline).

    IF you have the opportunity to drive your car, do it! The important consideration is to drive that car a few miles where everything gets up to operating temperatures. This way your fluids get hot and helps evaporate any moisture that may work its way into your systems. This is important. Don't just start it up and let it warm up, or just drive it around the block, drive your girl and get her hot!

    BTW, it's nice here in Jacksonville in the winter. A couple of weeks where it hits 32 degrees F overnight and then warms up to 60 or so, and the winter is GREAT. Take it from a transplanted Yankee. We are entering the best time of year here.

  5. #4
    gohawks63's Avatar
    gohawks63 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,364
    Quote Originally Posted by tinman
    Great write up, GoHawks. I had an MGB I used to lay up every winter, and you covered everything well. The oil change out is well stated and very important as is the fuel additive "Sta-Bil" (for unleaded gasoline).

    IF you have the opportunity to drive your car, do it! The important consideration is to drive that car a few miles where everything gets up to operating temperatures. This way your fluids get hot and helps evaporate any moisture that may work its way into your systems. This is important. Don't just start it up and let it warm up, or just drive it around the block, drive your girl and get her hot!

    BTW, it's nice here in Jacksonville in the winter. A couple of weeks where it hits 32 degrees F overnight and then warms up to 60 or so, and the winter is GREAT. Take it from a transplanted Yankee. We are entering the best time of year here.
    I'm from Chicago and moved to Michigan several years ago. I must say that Michigan gets a bad rap since most people associate it with Detroit and the bad press coming from there. In reality the state is beautiful and I have come to enjoy and really appreciate my adopted home. The only thing is the winters are too long.

    Having said all that, when the time comes again, if the choice is mine, I'd like to someday move somewhere where there are still seasons, but more moderate and shorter winters. The Carolinas or what you describe in Jacksonville sound perfect. I then wouldn't have to strongly consider AWD for a daily driver.

  6. #5
    tinman's Avatar
    tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Posts
    3,752

    Re: 2013 CTS Coupe....Winter Layup????

    Having lived in Toledo most of my life, yes, Michigan is quite beautiful. We used to have a summer home in NE Indiana (Clear Lake) and that was quite nice, too. Had that for 45 years (sigh).

    Here in Jax we live at the beach. Love it. 5 degrees warmer in the winter, 5 degrees cooler in the summer.

  7. #6
    hauler's Avatar
    hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 base CTS Sportwagon
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Moline,IL
    Posts
    371

    Re: 2013 CTS Coupe....Winter Layup????

    IMO
    1 no
    2 no, if you do - get a quality charger that won't cook the battery
    3 no,yes,yes
    Change the oil when the factory manual indicates, based on time

  8. #7
    gohawks63's Avatar
    gohawks63 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,364
    Quote Originally Posted by hauler
    IMO
    1 no
    2 no, if you do - get a quality charger that won't cook the battery
    3 no,yes,yes
    Change the oil when the factory manual indicates, based on time
    I'll have to respectfully disagree with saying no for #1. Just do a search across the Internet for storage procedures. Everywhere they will tell you that any engine stored for a long period of time should have fresh oil whether it's a lawn mower, snowblower or car.

    ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by tinman
    Having lived in Toledo most of my life, yes, Michigan is quite beautiful. We used to have a summer home in NE Indiana (Clear Lake) and that was quite nice, too. Had that for 45 years (sigh).

    Here in Jax we live at the beach. Love it. 5 degrees warmer in the winter, 5 degrees cooler in the summer.
    Sounds perfect!

  9. #8
    tinman's Avatar
    tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Posts
    3,752

    Re: 2013 CTS Coupe....Winter Layup????

    I also disagree on your #1, hauler. I also used to lay up (and still do as I still have it) a 1966 Century mahogany boat with a Ford FE engine every winter. Change the oil!

  10. #9
    Z71's Avatar
    Z71
    Z71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD Performance Sedan
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Michigan 'da UP'-Lake Superior
    Posts
    1,059

    Re: 2013 CTS Coupe....Winter Layup????

    Lots of new cars sit on dealer lots for many many months. Dealer here has 2 CTS's that have been on the lot for almost 2 yrs (early 2012's) and no one is buying them.

    I park my car in the garage on an insulated concrete floor (non-heated), add a fuel stabilizer and never start it till the spring. I typically change the oil in Oct but its not always just before I park it which is about Nov. 1 to May 1.

    No need to put the car on blocks, foolishness in my opinion. What happens if you suddenly have to move the car or need to use it? I put a charger on 1 day out of the month, I mark the calendar so I remember. DO NOT RUN the engine if you are not going to drive for more than 25 miles. Condensation will form inside the engine and the exhaust system leading to rust and corrosion.

    I been storing a car over the winter since 1990 and thats all I do.

  11. #10
    hauler's Avatar
    hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 base CTS Sportwagon
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Moline,IL
    Posts
    371

    Re: 2013 CTS Coupe....Winter Layup????

    I have watched the petroleum engineers on the Corvette forum try to explain in posts there, that unless you will store the fuel longer than 6 months, it will keep. I tend to believe them since the 66 roadster I had for 25 years never got stabil and never had a problem being stored every winter. I don't put it in my mower at the end of the season, but I do put it in my stand-by generator, which has only run twice in 5 years.

  12. #11
    gohawks63's Avatar
    gohawks63 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,364
    Quote Originally Posted by hauler
    I have watched the petroleum engineers on the Corvette forum try to explain in posts there, that unless you will store the fuel longer than 6 months, it will keep. I tend to believe them since the 66 roadster I had for 25 years never got stabil and never had a problem being stored every winter. I don't put it in my mower at the end of the season, but I do put it in my stand-by generator, which has only run twice in 5 years.
    6 months may still be OK before gas starts to varnish, but the fuel injection systems and the injectors in today's direct injection engines have tighter tolerances that could be impacted by gas that varnishes. Sta-Bil is cheap insurance.

  13. #12
    tinman's Avatar
    tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Posts
    3,752

    Re: 2013 CTS Coupe....Winter Layup????

    If you are planning on keeping your vehicle for a long time, then change out the oil. If it is a five year thing, then, fine, don't change out the oil. A71, you changed out your oil near the layup period. Most of the acids were removed and basically nothing was damaged over time since the oil was only a month old.

    My MGB lasted over 30 years before I sold it with 20k on the odometer. Beautiful condition. My boat, well, I still own it from brand new. We just sent the engine out for a complete rebuild. Not bad for a 47 year old engine that never had any engine work done to it.

    Change out your oil when you lay it up.

  14. #13
    gohawks63's Avatar
    gohawks63 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,364
    Quote Originally Posted by Z71
    Lots of new cars sit on dealer lots for many many months. Dealer here has 2 CTS's that have been on the lot for almost 2 yrs (early 2012's) and no one is buying them.

    I park my car in the garage on an insulated concrete floor (non-heated), add a fuel stabilizer and never start it till the spring. I typically change the oil in Oct but its not always just before I park it which is about Nov. 1 to May 1.

    No need to put the car on blocks, foolishness in my opinion. What happens if you suddenly have to move the car or need to use it? I put a charger on 1 day out of the month, I mark the calendar so I remember. DO NOT RUN the engine if you are not going to drive for more than 25 miles. Condensation will form inside the engine and the exhaust system leading to rust and corrosion.

    I been storing a car over the winter since 1990 and thats all I do.
    Pretty much agree with everything you said. For clarification I wasn't implying that you had to change the oil and not drive the car. I was simply saying to make sure there is fresh(er) oil before you store it.

    ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by tinman
    If you are planning on keeping your vehicle for a long time, then change out the oil. If it is a five year thing, then, fine, don't change out the oil. A71, you changed out your oil near the layup period. Most of the acids were removed and basically nothing was damaged over time since the oil was only a month old.

    My MGB lasted over 30 years before I sold it with 20k on the odometer. Beautiful condition. My boat, well, I still own it from brand new. We just sent the engine out for a complete rebuild. Not bad for a 47 year old engine that never had any engine work done to it.

    Change out your oil when you lay it up.
    ^^^^ what he said.
    tinman likes this.

  15. #14
    Gerry1946 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS Coupe
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Racine, WI
    Posts
    27

    Re: 2013 CTS Coupe....Winter Layup????

    Thanks to all that responded. I am left to wonder if the "change oil" recommendation applies to synthetic oil. That's what is in my CTS. Putting on blocks may be more than I am willing to do. ?????? I may go with the drive when it's nice option.

    Thanks to gohawks63 for replying "yes" to my comment about vacation down South.

  16. #15
    Douglas Rome is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-4 3.0 Base sedan 2nd owner bought used 22Kmi
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Elburn IL
    Age
    68
    Posts
    136

    Re: 2013 CTS Coupe....Winter Layup????

    I don't think I'd do much for only 3mos, maybe a good trickle charger, with today's tech they make
    some nice chargers. We keep a solar charger on a pick-up truck at our place up north, seems to do the
    job, never have any problem. I keep a solar charger on my Cub Cadet over the winter, same thing seems
    to do the job, always fires right up. maybe Sta-Bil is more peace of mind than any thing else, I put sta-bil
    in all my small engine gas all the time so it's always in my little engines that I don't use much, chain saw,
    leaf blower, lawn mower, etc. I used to long term store a couple cars, old cars that didn't have any electronics
    and I never did anything, no sta-bil, no charger, no blocks, and never had any problems. thanks, douglas

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting