trans "M" selection
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By C "T" ess
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, trans "M" selection in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; on the right side of the linkage there is a M with a plus and minus sign, and in the ...
    Douglas Rome is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-4 3.0 Base sedan black/black

trans "M" selection

on the right side of the linkage there is a M with a plus and minus sign, and in the indicator on the dash there is a M next to the D. what's with that? I didn't learn much from the manual. thanks, Douglas

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Z71
    Z71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD Performance Sedan

Re: trans "M" selection

M (Manual Mode): This position allows the driver to select the range of gears appropriate for current driving
    conditions. If the vehicle has this feature, see Driver Shift Control (DSC) later in this section. Driver Shift Control (DSC) allows you to shift an automatic transmission similar to a manual transmission.

Douglas Rome is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-4 3.0 Base sedan black/black

how do you place it in "M"? I don't want to use because Linda is the car's driver and don't understand those kinds of technical tidbits. thanks, Douglas

Z71
    Z71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD Performance Sedan

In my car, push the lever to the right while in anything but park. Pull back left to disengage.

Note - Have to place lever back to left to place in park so the next driver will not be in M mode.

Note - Also displays message to the effect, Manual or Performance trans mode selected.

Dave1442397 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS 3.6 RWD Sport Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Rome View Post
    how do you place it in "M"? I don't want to use because Linda is the car's driver and don't understand those kinds of technical tidbits. thanks, Douglas
    Once you move the gear lever to the right, it will be in sport mode. To get into M (manual) mode, just move the gear lever forwards or backwards to select gears. You will see the selected gear displayed on the instrument panel as usual, but the car will not shift up until you use the gear lever.

To get out of manual mode, just move the gear lever to the left.

dlpuette is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 AWD Performance Coupe, 2011 Harley ElectraGlide Limited

When you're in the Sport mode, you don't have to shift the gears manually. The tranny will still work through the gears and upshift/downshift. But the reason its called Sport mode is that the tranny holds gears longer before shifting and allows much more brisk acceleration. It also changes the throttle tip-in (how fast the gas pedal reacts to your foot). It's a fun way to drive these cars but you need to know that it comes at the expense of gas mileage.I use it when I'm taking passengers for thier first ride in the car or I'm on a twisty road and driving hard. In this mode you actually feel like you have a serious engine!!

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

It seems that perhaps your best option is to simply leave the shifter in D
    HurstGN and Tbbt like this.

Dave1442397 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS 3.6 RWD Sport Wagon

My car is always in sport mode, although I rarely bother with manual shifting. In fact, I've only used it to engine brake when i see a cop car and don't want to attract attention with brake lights

Ramv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Sport works well except,on tight roads which requires manual. I have never tried regular mode. Too bad these cars didn't have a true manual trans with AWD.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.