thumping like noise when backing up and turning wheel
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, thumping like noise when backing up and turning wheel in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I noticed today when backing up in reverse and turning my wheel right I heard a thumping like noise..and only ...
    MattM23 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS 3.6 DI

thumping like noise when backing up and turning wheel

I noticed today when backing up in reverse and turning my wheel right I heard a thumping like noise..and only when im doing that...

any clues?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

tinman is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

Re: thumping like noise when backing up and turning wheel

Do you have 19" wheels with summer tires?

18" and not sure what kind of tires just got the car back in may, they got Michelin tires on them though.

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

No sound when driving normal straight? If so, that leaves out a flat right tire!

Seriously, do you have awd or rwd? There have been instances of thumping coming from the read drive shaft. Do a search for that and see if that sounds like your car's symptoms.

Good Luck, Marv

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

According to GM this is a "normal operating characteristic of the CTS and will not impact the designed performance or reliability of the vehicle".
    The condition is referred to as "stick-slip" and can occur on [FE2-FE3-FE4-FE5] CTS/CTS-V cars equipped with 18" or 19" tires - as opposed to the taller sidewall 17" tires found on the FE1 base car where the condition doesn't occur.
    This topic has been covered in a couple of other threads. Here's a link to one of them: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...cts-coupe.html

GM issued an information bulletin describing this "normal condition". Document number and title as follows:
    #PIC4986D: Normal Characteristic - Binding Felt Driving Forward Or In Reverse With Steering At Full Lock - (Apr 3, 2013)
    99flhr likes this.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by MattM23 View Post
    I noticed today when backing up in reverse and turning my wheel right I heard a thumping like noise..and only when im doing that...

any clues?
    Hello MattM23,

I apologize that you are experiencing this thumping noise when you are backing up in reverse. I see that you have gotten some great insight from the community in regards to this concern. If you are still concerned about the sound and would like to take your vehicle into the dealership, please feel free to private message so I can assist you in working with the dealership. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

tbbt it is a AWD car,

Im new to Cadillac just got this car in may and it just seems like they are so many unusual things like certain sounds that are "normal" for Cadillac like the ticking/annoying sound from the DI engine that they say is normal. And now you guys are saying this is a normal sound with the thumping sound, it almost sounds like I have 22 inch wheels on it or something sounds like its rubbing. and I havnt really noticed it since recently tell ya the truth and have had it since may. think I might get it checked out just in case..

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

tbbt it is a AWD car,

Im new to Cadillac just got this car in may and it just seems like they are so many unusual things like certain sounds that are "normal" for Cadillac like the ticking/annoying sound from the DI engine that they say is normal. And now you guys are saying this is a normal sound with the thumping sound, it almost sounds like I have 22 inch wheels on it or something sounds like its rubbing. and I havnt really noticed it since recently tell ya the truth and have had it since may. think I might get it checked out just in case..
    With my 2011 CTS AWD car, equipped with low profile 19" all-season tires, I also hear a slight thumping sound when I back up and turn the steering wheel to full lock, such as when I back out of my driveway. This condition, stick-slip, is present on many other GM cars (such as Corvette and Camaro) that are also equipped with low profile 18" or 19" or larger tires. Search the internet and you'll find references to this condition/phenomonen that state this is normal for some model vehicles equipped with low profile tires, and that there's nothing to worry about.

The ticking sound (it's "annoying" to you??) from the DI engine is a characteristic of a high-feature direct injected gasoline engine. The high pressure fuel pump, which generates about 2000 psi of fuel pressure for the injectors, is the source of the ticking sound. I don't even notice the slight ticking sound anymore on my CTS when the engine is idling. I've owned three 2nd Gen CTS's, all equipped with the 3.6L DI engine.

I would suggest that you try to enjoy your car to the max (you have a nice car MattM23), and try spending less time looking & listening for problems that aren't there. Life is short, so enjoy.
    MKWAGON and Twentybucks like this.

yea I understand what your saying I just like to keep up on things with my cars and running good and for a long time... and @ Cadillac customer service I sent u a private message

Caddyman1154 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 cts4 DI
    I would recommend getting it checkout out. I have a 2011 awd coupe and have no clicking when backing up at all. Better to be safe then sorry. Just my opinion

yea I understand what your saying I just like to keep up on things with my cars and running good and for a long time... and @ Cadillac customer service I sent u a private message
    Hello MattM23,

Thanks for responding! I received your private message and sent one to you as well. Please let me know if you did not receive it. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

I had a similar problem but didn't give it much thought. On a trip to the dealership for an oil change I mentioned since I knew they would be under the car anyway. They reported that a lower bumper bracket wasn't installed or tightened correctly. Ever since no more problem.

Quote Originally Posted by C "T" ess View Post
    I had a similar problem but didn't give it much thought. On a trip to the dealership for an oil change I mentioned since I knew they would be under the car anyway. They reported that a lower bumper bracket wasn't installed or tightened correctly. Ever since no more problem.
    Hello C "T" ess,

I am glad you were able to discuss this concern with your dealer and they fixed it for you. I am happy there has been no problem for you since. Continue to enjoy your CTS Coupe! If you ever have questions or concerns, don't hesitate to reach out to us via private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

dandunham is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS performance mdl 3.6L

if you have all wheel drive it could be one of the front CV joint boots that might have a rip in it thus letting all the grease out of the joint causing the noise. I don't have all wheel drive on mine but I had an Audi Quattro that had a similar problem and sure enough it was a ripped boot on the outer CV joint. if this is the problem you will probably find grease on the inside of the wheel rim. if this is the issue get it fixed yesterday. I did the work on the Audi and was able to just repack the joint and put another boot on but it was not an easy job.

@cadillac cust care tryed to reply to you but said inbox was full

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.