thumping like noise when backing up and turning wheel - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, thumping like noise when backing up and turning wheel in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by MattM23 @cadillac cust care tryed to reply to you but said inbox was full Hello MattM23, I ...
    Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: thumping like noise when backing up and turning wheel

Quote Originally Posted by MattM23 View Post
    @cadillac cust care tryed to reply to you but said inbox was full
    Hello MattM23,

I apologize if our inbox was full. I have cleared out some messages to make room to be sure. I would advise clearing out your Inbox and Sent messages because I am not sure as to the amount of messages users are allowed to have. If it says it is full again, you can also reach out to me at socialmedia@gm.com if that would be easier. Please include “ATTN GREG” in the subject line so that it gets delivered straight to me. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

MattM23 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS 3.6 DI

found out what this was, rear diff clutch burnt up due to taking it to get serviced somewhere last week where I had the fluid in it change they either didn't put right fluid in it or didn't put the limited slip additive in it and burnt it up and its now a 1500$ repair now and if this dealership that did this don't take care of this there will be hell to pay..smh!

Stylez850 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 escalade

I only have the stock 17' wheels on my '09 CTS AWD and it sounds like the tires are rubbing when I'm turning and accelerating in drive and reverse. Would the stick-slip still be the case in this instance?

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

^ No, not the same case. The stick-slip occurrence that's mentioned in earlier posts occurs only when reversing while at the same time the steering wheel turned to full lock.

Stylez850 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 escalade

Quote Originally Posted by RAB View Post
    ^ No, not the same case. The stick-slip occurrence that's mentioned in earlier posts occurs only when reversing while at the same time the steering wheel turned to full lock.
    That sucks! I'm thinking it's the CVS joints or something in that area. I'm going to get it up on some jacks this weekend. If anybody can pinpoint it, that would be great too.

bluefleetwood is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1964Fleetwood60Spcl,1976EldoradoConv,2009CTS4BlackCherryDI

Having the same issue with mine{09 CTS4}. Have had it since new. Backing out of garage with wheels {18's} turned and have to give it more gas them normal as if the AWD is binding as my 95 GMC Jimmy does when 4 wheel drive is engaged. Also noticed that while pulling out of my driveway going forward also with wheels turned tight that I get nasty wheel spin. Even with traction control engaged which I believe has nothing to do with this issue. I've read that is considered normal for this car. If this is considered normal, I wonder if Cadillac has addressed this when they redesigned the CTS for 2014.
    Pretty sad though.

Does anyone know where I can find out what Cadillac gave special attention to if any on the redesign. Have they attacked known issues like squeaks and rattles, that dam rear speaker shelf rattle, AWD Wheel spin, center console creaking when car goes into turns.........the list is long!
    I would really love to know if these issues have been addressed as I WAS thinking if getting into a new one.
    I hope she is not just another PRETTY FACE. {Didn't mean to stray off the point here, sorry}

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...p?albumid=2017

louieshowers is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Performance

Hello,

This is my first post, but I have gained an immense amount of knowledge for all 3 of my Cadillacs from here. Great forum!! As far as this unsettling thumping, hopping and skipping problem in reverse during tight turns...not so pleasant! I just bought my beautiful mint condition 2010 CTS yesterday and when I went to show my father and grandfather the car (his driveway is on a hill in a steep incline/ on a 20 degree night) I was reversing out of the driveway and had to cut the wheel...All four people in the car were actually startled by this apparent (normal) malfunction. I do not doubt the awesome insight on this thread about this issue, but to experience it is really disappointing. I am actually heading to the dealer today to purchase a warranty extension and I am going to have a technician sit in the car and experience this.. It actually feels like a transmission slip more than a tire slip. I do have 18" Michelin tires.. hmmm..

I want to thank you all for your knowledge about this issue! I don't doubt that this is expected from an AWD performance vehicle, but I would prefer to try the different tires and not hear that loud noise and slip. Just wanted to document my experience. Have a good day.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Welcome aboard. Good luck with your excursion to your dealer.

Panzer Leader is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS 3.6 V6 RWD Performance Sedan

Checkout your control arms. My 2011 FE1 CTS was making the same noise... And BTW, so is my new 2013 FE2.... The Pontiac G8 had similar issues. The problem was faulty Lower Control Arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer Leader View Post
    Checkout your control arms. My 2011 FE1 CTS was making the same noise... And BTW, so is my new 2013 FE2.... The Pontiac G8 had similar issues. The problem was faulty Lower Control Arms.
    Not saying that isn't the cause. I have not read anything on the forum about bad lower control arms. Definitely worthy of checking out, though.

Thank you very much. I have found through this thread that I must have incompatible tires for the vehicles turning design. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...cts-coupe.html
    Apparently, the only solution I see is to change from my Michelins to the Continental DWS tires. I just purchased the car (which I love) less than a week ago. I had the dealer replace the rear differential clutch fluid which did not solve the problem and also put a new intermediate steering shaft in it for a squeaky steering wheel. But I just cannot live with that shudder. If you live on a hill requiring frequent sharp turning to get into your driveway, in a cold climate (like Boston right now) this slip/shudder problem is unbearable. It almost feels as though the car needs a coil pack or ignition wire or something. As I have said, 3 passengers noticed this and were alarmed. I will post my results. I am pretty determined.

Glad you're putting this to good use.

Procrastinator is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Premium 2WD/3.6 DI

One of many NVH type complaints I have seen since joining the forum. I just purchased my first Cadillac and am trying to learn what noises are normal and if not what the fix has been.
    Is there a thread started that lists the most common complaints with known fixes or explanations?

Quote Originally Posted by Procrastinator View Post
    One of many NVH type complaints I have seen since joining the forum. I just purchased my first Cadillac and am trying to learn what noises are normal and if not what the fix has been.
    Is there a thread started that lists the most common complaints with known fixes or explanations?
    No, but that's a good idea. Listing complaints with links to the threads/fixes.

The dealer told me that it is normal operation. Very disappointing. He said that it is because of the tires on the vehicle. I then asked if these tires come stock on these vehicles. He replied, "Yes, unfortunately." I then asked if they could help me out with different tires and he replied, "unfortunately there is nothing I can do." I find this very unfortunate that the stock tires would cause this issue and that Cadillac did not offer replacements. SMH. It is a real bummer. If any big wig at Cadillac engineering were in my car while I back up out of my driveway on a hill in the cold weather..They would replace my tires. I do not think it is fair that I should pay approx $1200 for this "miss." IMHO.
    bluefleetwood likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.