My '09 "whines" at 60 MPH
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, My '09 "whines" at 60 MPH in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Been reading the forums since purchasing a '09 CTS4 with a 3.6DI. Since I still have time (May '14) and ...
    dmeray1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

My '09 "whines" at 60 MPH

Been reading the forums since purchasing a '09 CTS4 with a 3.6DI. Since I still have time (May '14) and mileage (68500 now) left on my 100K drivetrain warranty, I have been trying to learn as much as I can about any "warts" that may need to be taken care of before the warranty expires. I have also noted that Cadillac customer service is usually on top of any situations that require extra effort. So far everything is fine except one thing...If I am cruising at freeway speeds, 70 mph plus, and then slow down to 60 mph, I can hear a whine in the drivetrain. I can play with the throttle and the noise is still there with power and lifting. The key thing is that I can hear it in a sweet spot from about 57 to 65 MPH. I can't hear it above 70. At 80 plus, this car runs sweet, but that's another story. The noise seems to come from the rear differential. I have not taken it to a dealer yet because first I want to see if anyone has experience with any of the dealers in the Detroit area. I am in Downriver area, Allen Park, MI. If anyone has any suggestions, please make them known. Thanks, Dan

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: My '09 "whines" at 60 MPH

Quote Originally Posted by dmeray1 View Post
    Been reading the forums since purchasing a '09 CTS4 with a 3.6DI. Since I still have time (May '14) and mileage (68500 now) left on my 100K drivetrain warranty, I have been trying to learn as much as I can about any "warts" that may need to be taken care of before the warranty expires. I have also noted that Cadillac customer service is usually on top of any situations that require extra effort. So far everything is fine except one thing...If I am cruising at freeway speeds, 70 mph plus, and then slow down to 60 mph, I can hear a whine in the drivetrain. I can play with the throttle and the noise is still there with power and lifting. The key thing is that I can hear it in a sweet spot from about 57 to 65 MPH. I can't hear it above 70. At 80 plus, this car runs sweet, but that's another story. The noise seems to come from the rear differential. I have not taken it to a dealer yet because first I want to see if anyone has experience with any of the dealers in the Detroit area. I am in Downriver area, Allen Park, MI. If anyone has any suggestions, please make them known. Thanks, Dan
    Sorry to hear about your concerns Dan. I know that's displeasing for you. Let us know if additional assistance is needed when you decide to seek a Cadillac dealer for service. Additionally, you are more than welcome to message us privately with regards to your "whining" issue.

Sincerely,

William R. (assisting Laura & Greg)
    Cadillac Customer Care

Leonard is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by dmeray1 View Post
    I had a similar problem with my 2013 CTS Wagon. The noise would come on at between around 72 to 77 and go away at 80. They determined it was the Goodyear tires. They changed to Michelin and problem solved.

Well, I already have Michelins.... But that is food for thought. I wonder how I can verify/test?

If it was the tires it would whine constantly. When I was working the throttle in the range where it is whining, I get breaks in the whine as the drive train loads and unloads. Anybody here from Metro Detroit that has had positive experience from a local dealer? Massey? Suburban? Standford?

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

I use Massey here in Denver and they are great to deal with.

I used to live in Ann Arbor and used them there with the same results.

Marv

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.