Water pumps - anybody else?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Water pumps - anybody else? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Wife is using my car locally the other day and the A/C shuts down and Engine Hot light comes on. ...
    droptopron is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '10 3.0 AWD Sedan

Water pumps - anybody else?

Wife is using my car locally the other day and the A/C shuts down and Engine Hot light comes on. Get it into the dealer and its a water pump. 2010 3.0 with 14,500 miles that I am the orig owner. Totally unacceptable. Every other manufacturer can get a decent water pump & these fail prematurely? Can't even make 15K miles? My wife had a water pump failure on an '09 Acadia and that was the start of a litany of problems that resulted in us suing GM. This car better not go down the same road.
    Has anyone else had this, and is the replacement redesigned to be more durable? I plan on keeping this car a long time but this is really giving me pause. If they can't get something as basic as a water pump right what else is waiting for me?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

Re: Water pumps - anybody else?

Off hand, I'd just say bad luck; there are no universal problems with GM water pumps. And how did yours fail; internal corrosion, bad front bearing, something else? Since it appears you vehicle had catastrophic water loss, maybe you missed some early warning symptoms; don't know, but did the dealership have any idea(s) on what had happened.

One car bad luck two cars bad design.
    I don't have the car back yet but will ask what failed when I get it. As far as early signs I park it in the driveway and there was no signs of leaks.
    If it was internal corrosion on a 14K miles of this age that is even worse.

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

If you had two toasters went bad would you condemn all toasters.
    I'd sell the dam thing and switch to another brand as quickly as you can!

SFVetteman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX V6 RWD, 1999 Corvette..370 RWHP and many more mods

Quote Originally Posted by droptopron View Post
    One car bad luck two cars bad design.
    Oh please...that's a ridiculous assumption to make that somehow your experience is some sort of tell on reliability when there are millions of identical water pumps on the road. Asking the dealer how many of these water pumps they have had to replace over the years would be a better indicator of reliability.

I don't have the car back yet but will ask what failed when I get it. As far as early signs I park it in the driveway and there was no signs of leaks.
    Most likely it was a failure of the bearing seal or pump gasket. It is common to have leaks only when the engine is up to operating temperature and pressure, then what comes out is a vapor that doesn't leave signs of a leak.

Bill

jeffc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by droptopron
    Wife is using my car locally the other day and the A/C shuts down and Engine Hot light comes on. Get it into the dealer and its a water pump. 2010 3.0 with 14,500 miles that I am the orig owner. Totally unacceptable. Every other manufacturer can get a decent water pump & these fail prematurely? Can't even make 15K miles? My wife had a water pump failure on an '09 Acadia and that was the start of a litany of problems that resulted in us suing GM. This car better not go down the same road.
    Has anyone else had this, and is the replacement redesigned to be more durable? I plan on keeping this car a long time but this is really giving me pause. If they can't get something as basic as a water pump right what else is waiting for me?
    I have an 08 3.6DI with 54k miles...no water pump/engine issues at all.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by droptopron View Post
    Hello droptopron,

I apologize that your water pump has failed in your CTS. I do see that you are reaching out to see if any of the other community members have experienced this concern, but I would like to assist you in working with the dealership regarding this concern. Could you please private message me your name, contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealership you are working with so I can contact them regarding this issue? If not, please keep us updated on the status of the vehicle when you receive it back. Thank you very much for your time, I will be looking for your future updates.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

dandunham is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS performance mdl 3.6L

Ha, Water pumps, what a pain. I had a Audi A6 that went through 4 of them. I would have it replaced every timing belt job but it still failed twice between belts. I feel your pain. and oh by the way getting water pumps changed on Audi's is NOT CHEAP! Not sure about Cadillacs yet - I hope its less than Audi

I got my car back today. It was misdiagnosed as a water pump failure when it was a coolant temp sensor. I am still not happy with the failure @ 14,500 miles but rest a little easier knowing the engine didn't get damaged overheating. Hopefully it is an anomoly and the car will go back to being the reliable and solid steed it has been.

Ramv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Holy cow that is low mileage for that year!

Fluke or just from a lack of use. It really helps to drive cars a couple of times a month a few hundred miles to keep condensation and carbon down.

mcneill8328 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe, Premium Pkg
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramv

Fluke or just from a lack of use. It really helps to drive cars a couple of times a month a few hundred miles to keep condensation and carbon down.
    My thoughts exactly! You will have more weird occurrences with a car that's not driven than with one that is!

Quote Originally Posted by Ramv View Post

It is low miles but I bought it in Jan '11 as a left over. The car is driven almost every day but its only about a mile & a half each way to the traon station. I try to get it on the highway at least once every couple of weeks.

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

It doesn't matter how many miles you had on it, things happen. It will get better!
    C "T" ess and 99flhr like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tbbt View Post
    It doesn't matter how many miles you had on it, things happen. It will get better!
    With my wife's Acadia things happened way too often.
    I had to kick it to the curb around 34K because of the problems.

Rai
    Rai is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Sounds like you have bad luck with cars... All the cars in my household have been solid even when driven hard and put away wet. 150,000 on a 2001 Supercharged/Modified and beat daily LS1 SS. 250,000 on a 2000 Isuzu Rodeo (only issues ever: simple intake manifold gasket go bad and a fuel level sensor). 2008 Silverado nearing 100k miles. LSx in my 65 Chevelle at 40k, no issues.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.