Air Filter Change Question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By OMG
  • 1 Post By Hammerhead100
  • 1 Post By Xtant12
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Air Filter Change Question in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I have an 09 3.6 DI and am ready to do air filter change. I read the directions in manual ...
    JackB is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS AWD DI

Air Filter Change Question

I have an 09 3.6 DI and am ready to do air filter change. I read the directions in manual and have a couple of questions. First is the electrical plug they want removed just a force fit or is there something to squeeze? It is on pretty tight and don't want to break it. Second, is that the front torque fastener for air box is really hidden deep down there. Any tricks to not losing it? Any other tips to avoid unforseen hassles would be appreciated. Seems pretty straight forward but have been there before and thought it worth asking.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

blankster is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Premium AWD 3.6 DI

Re: Air Filter Change Question

There is a clip to squeeze on the plug and from what I remember one of the screws on the airbox is hard to get at (I think there is a hose or something in the way). Just take your time. You may fine some more info out there on how to change it on the web or maybe a video. Also when you have the air intake hose off you may want to think about cleaning the throttle body a bit. You'll be surprised how dirty they can get.

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

The electrical connector is the plug for the Mass air flow sensor on that connector is a tab you push in to release it while pulling it out.

I used a magnetic 1/4" drive to 1/4" hex bit socket with a torx bit in it on a 10 inch extension, 1/4" rachet to remove mine.
    Overly Scientific? probably but I was taught to always use the magnetic socket adapter when using hex bit's to prevent dropping stuff.

OMG
    OMG is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 3.6DI

It honestly is not hard. Just take your time and you'll figure it out no problem. Took me less then 10 mins to do it the first time.
    99flhr likes this.

Hammerhead100 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS Performance Sedan

Tbbt likes this.

Thanks, that video is very helpful. If i do clean the throttle body is there that much more to remove?

Ok, finished the job today withoout too much aggraqvation. Couple of observations. Definitely use magnetic hex bit since dropping the screws would not be a fun recovery if they did not fall all the way to the ground. The main obstacles are those hoses all around the air box especially that one which covers the front screw. Had to have my wife hold radiator plastic cover back so the screw head would fit between that and braided hose covering the area. Kinda pay attention to the angle the air box comes out as it is a tight fit going back in and only fits one way. Be sure the back tabs are in the proper place. One also has to be careful that the box is held down tight when inserting the screws or they will tend to back out the box but, look installed but leave a small gap.
    I was surprised to find that my filter, not replaced for 60K, still looked almost brand new. I suppose if one lived in Arizona when one of those dust storms rolled in or off roaded it would be a different story. Anyway, all done and thanks again for the tips.

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

Glad to see that trick helped out

I get lectured about working smarter not harder by my b.f. if I grab a regular bit socket to do something around the house that isn't HD work required lol

Xtant12 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS-AWD DI

I also did the cabin filter when I changed out my air filter. Here is a neat trick, I added a sheet of those papers you use for the laundry. I personally think it is a very faint smell, but people have said a few times it always smells nice in my car! I have no air freshner
    Tbbt likes this.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

For future users in need:

Required tools: Flathead Screwdriver, T25 torx and magnetic head tool picker.
    The engine bay is tight and requires some ďjigglingĒ. Take your time and be patient. The air filter is located at the front of the engine bay on the driverís side. Start by removing the driverís site engine cover piece. Itís held in place by a snap connection on the firewall side of the strut tower brace.
    Next, take the flathead screwdriver and loosen the band clamp that connects the air hose to the filter box. Do not remove the clamp. Work the hose loose from the box. Note the alignment tab/slot arrangement on the side facing the front of the engine bay. After that you will want to disconnect the plug to the Mass Air Flow Sensor. Pinching it at the bottom of the plug will allow it to release and pull out. Now for a more difficult part, removing the hose from its bracket. I did not have to remove my hose, I could work around it. You are going to have to maneuver this hose system quite a bit as it wraps around the air box and blocks access to the three T25 torx screws that hold the top of the air box on. Two are on the back side and the third is on the front inside. The two on the back are easy to get out. Again, youíll need to move the hose around to get your screwdriver in place. The one in front is a different story. The picture shows the socket wrench going through a small cutout in the front trim of the engine to get to it. I did not totally remove the screw, I let it remain in the cover of the box and was careful not to drop it when I removed the cover. There is a braided hose that runs over it that will require a good bit of finger dexterity to move it out of the way. After the screw is out you may have to use a magnetic picker to get it out. Be careful not to drop it. With the screws out of the way you will need to work the box top out. Work it toward the engine as there are three tabs that fit into slots along the fender side to seal that side Now it gets easier, you should see your old filter laying flat inside the box. Lift it out. I then used a vacuum to make sure there was no sand or dirt inside the box downstream of my filter. Now lay your new filter in. Make sure youíve got a good fit all the way around. Once the filter is in, itís a matter of putting it all back together. Getting the top back on is tricky. Itís best to angle in with the three tab side going down first. You canít go straight to the slots with them. I had to get the tabs under the lip of the fender and then take the air box in a more vertical motion to get it all in between the various hoses. Youíre just going to have some patience and jiggle that sucker to get it in cleanly. From there, I was able to work the tabs back into the slots and line up the screw holes.

Be careful maneuvering the torx screws back into their holes, especially the one on the back side closest to the engine itself. I dropped mine three times and learned the hard way that our car is equipped with a shield under the engine that makes a not-so-nice catch basin for screws. I ended up having to jack the car up, tap the shield until I could hear the screw jump, and then use my magnetic picker tool to retrieve it.

After the screws are in place put the big hose back onto the box, tighten the band clamp and plug the MAF sensor connector back in. Finally, snap the driver side engine cover back on and youíre done! It should be doable in about half an hour.

One note: if you start your car and it reads, ďService Traction ControlĒ and your CEL is on, then you have forgotten to reconnect the MAF sensor connector!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.