2008 cts wheel bearing & door handle switch....
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2008 cts wheel bearing & door handle switch.... in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Hi all. Just replaced my passenger side wheel bearing on my rwd 08 cts. Also changed my door handle interior ...
    roggy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 95 STS, 02 STS, 08 CTS

2008 cts wheel bearing & door handle switch....

Hi all. Just replaced my passenger side wheel bearing on my rwd 08 cts. Also changed my door handle interior entire housing due to a micro switch wearing out. About a week later the drivers side is showing signs of slowly failing.
    Is it me or is this not premature for a 08 with 120,000 km (75,000 miles). I replaced the bearing with an ac delco (absurd cost of $244 CAD) but I paid less. Funny part of it is that regardless of which bearing you want front or rear they are all the same. Hmmmm same regardless of having a drive shaft or not. Going back to the door handle interior housing.... Why in god name did I replace an entire housing for just one micro switch that comes off connected to the plug?? I will tell you. Because that is the way Cadillac sells it. Maybe I am a sucker for buying Cadillac every time but I'm starting to see that quality is starting to suffer and needless part clumping for then payoff is constant.

Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

billeee is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS 2012 CTS

Re: 2008 cts wheel bearing & door handle switch....

The problem of having to buy an entire assembly is not unique to Cadillac. The entire auto industry outsources the major portion of smaller assemblies to sub contractors. Stocking every part in each assembly would be costly. A junk yard can be a much cheaper source.

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

billeee and others,

Cadillac makes about 25% content in their cars. The rest are made by certified suppliers and billeee is correct that sub assemblies are not available by individual part components.

that is the way the whole auto industry works, not just GM.

Marv
    neuronbob likes this.

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Tbbt View Post
    billeee and others,

Cadillac makes about 25% content in their cars. The rest are made by certified suppliers and billeee is correct that sub assemblies are not available by individual part components.

that is the way the whole auto industry works, not just GM.

Marv
    I can't think of the 25% of a GM vehicle that is produced internally. The frame stampings are outsourced, interiors are as well. Of course tires and wheels come from an outside supplier. Glass is PPG or equivalent. Body panel stampings are brought in but may be GM; I'm not certain. If you look at replacement parts they all seem to be made in China. The trans comes from France, I could go on and on but like I said I can't think of 25% domestic GM self manufacture. Makes you think, huh.[COLOR="Silver"]

----------

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

I should have been more clear, I wasn't talking numbers of parts, but $$ of parts.

Yes, an awful number of parts are made 'off shore' due to higher costs here in the US. China will even be outsourced to cheaper countries soon. Some have already happened. Look for outsourcing to SE Asia, and India in the near future. All parts still must meet GM specifications, no matter where they come from. Yes, some suppliers are better than others.

GM does most of the body stamping either in assembly plants or nearby GM plants in a 'just in time' assembly sequence.

Marv
    hauler likes this.

99flhr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS

Perhaps an electronic supply house could supply the micro switch, I buy them there rather than whole assembly for handicap door openers.

Perhaps my point was lost or maybe people have not seen the entire door handle housing and how 99% of the mass is not needed to fix this issue of the micro switch. The micro switches (which unclips from the housing) and has the wiring harness attached to it is the only part that needs to be replaced. Now seeing that its a sealed I don't mind buying the unit and wiring harness but seriously... entire clay like housing. Ridiculous. I'll post a picture here so we can all judge for ourselves. Having said that I would like to get back to the original problem... why are all these parts breaking down so quick? Wheel bearing at 120,000 km? Passenger Door Handle Assembly at 80,000 km? Now the drivers is acting up at 120,000 km. Maybe I was mistaken in thinking I bought a high quality vehicle or then again it may be like the old NorthStar engines (oil leaks & half case gaskets)... "Its just made that way.... happens to all of them".

Since when does a manufacture have the right to make a poor product and actually get away with it? Yes I know it lasted 5 years without issues but it does not have to be the norm. Seems to be happening more and more and maybe not only to Cadillac.

P.S. Guy at the parts counter said he has sold 29 Wheel Bearing units (exact one as mine) just in the month of August and were not even done yet. Talk about a money grab. (Yes I know the Camaro uses them also)

Please if you are going to reply spare me with the following.... "you bought the Cadillac" or "welcome to Cadillac". Seriously the life span of these so called luxury cars are becoming more and more short as the years pass us by. Third Cadillac in 15 years. (2 x STS and now the CTS).

Have a good one folks!

99flhr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS

Quote Originally Posted by roggy View Post
    Seriously the life span of these so called luxury cars are becoming more and more short as the years pass us by. Third Cadillac in 15 years. (2 x STS and now the CTS).
    Can`t speak to a specific brand or category of cars, however the average age of cars in U.S recently set a new record of 11.4 yrs

When I was considerably younger, most used cars were considered worn out by 100K or so, go shop for an under $10K used car today and you will see odometers well into six figures.

Factor in the complexity created by computers and the high feature content found even on entry level models and it leads me to believe that in general, cars are better than ever.

JMO

SFVetteman is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS 3.6 Premium, 1999 Corvette,370 RWHP & other mods

Quote Originally Posted by roggy View Post
    Why in god name did I replace an entire housing for just one micro switch that comes off connected to the plug??
    The reason is that there is no money in selling just a micro switch. Inventory costs are too high to make money on them. Same reason as for selling complete control arms when it's only a bushing or ball joint that goes bad. Even if you track down the supplier that makes it, you find a lot of parts are only sold as an assembly.

I remember back when buying a new car, that you could order options a la carte instead of as part of a package. In fact, most of the time there were no packages...only options. Now there is not much in the way of stand alone options, only packages that often contain a few things that you could care less about.

It's all about the money Jack, and everybody does it.

Bill

Xtant12 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS-AWD DI ( Hot Lava Edition )

Hey how hard was it to change your bearing?? I have to replace my drivers side on my 08 AWD

I ordered this part, http://www.amazon.com/Timken-HA59026...s=2008+cts+hub

Anyone know if it will work??

Quote Originally Posted by Xtant12 View Post
    Hey how hard was it to change your bearing?? I have to replace my drivers side on my 08 AWD

I ordered this part, http://www.amazon.com/Timken-HA59026...s=2008+cts+hub

Anyone know if it will work??
    Surprisingly easy. Do it yourself and save your money. All 4 bearings are the same regardless of which one your are doing.

Xtant12 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS-AWD DI ( Hot Lava Edition )

Thank you

adamhowell1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS4 3.6L

Unhappy Re: 2008 cts wheel bearing & door handle switch....

I just took my 2008 CTS4 in because the "service break assist", "service traction control", and "service stabilitrak" all came on simultaneously. The code said that the right rear speed sensor was bad, however after having it replaced, the issues weren't resolved. Just got word back that the right rear wheel bearing is bad. I have 76k miles on the vehicle. Was under warranty until 2 weeks ago! Never had to use the GM top of the line warranty that I paid $2k for which covered me for 2 years or 89k miles. This is the second CTS I've owned that had a wheel bearing go bad! I've owned other vehicles that had many more miles on them and never had issues with the wheel bearings. Hopefully Cadillac makes an intelligent decision to cover this under the circumstances, otherwise my next vehicle won't be boasting that beautiful coat of arms!

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by adamhowell1 View Post
    I just took my 2008 CTS4 in because the "service break assist", "service traction control", and "service stabilitrak" all came on simultaneously. The code said that the right rear speed sensor was bad, however after having it replaced, the issues weren't resolved. Just got word back that the right rear wheel bearing is bad. I have 76k miles on the vehicle. Was under warranty until 2 weeks ago! Never had to use the GM top of the line warranty that I paid $2k for which covered me for 2 years or 89k miles. This is the second CTS I've owned that had a wheel bearing go bad! I've owned other vehicles that had many more miles on them and never had issues with the wheel bearings. Hopefully Cadillac makes an intelligent decision to cover this under the circumstances, otherwise my next vehicle won't be boasting that beautiful coat of arms!
    Hello adamhowell1,

Welcome to the forum! We are happy to have you part of the Cadillac community. I am sorry your wheel bearing is bad on your CTS. I understand your frustration after dealing with this issue on your previous CTS as well. If you would like to further discuss your situation, please contact us via private message. Include your contact information, VIN, current mileage and the name of the dealer you are working with. We look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

ehindman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 4 3.6 DI
    A little help please. I tried replacing my right rear hub on my 08 CTS4 but once I got to the rotor I couldn't get it to slide off of the lugs. Stayed tight as if it were still bolted somewhere. Rubber mallet was used but still no budge. Any ideas? Also, you have to buy the entire bearing and hub assembly. At dealer over $300.00 but at gmpartsdirect $136.00. Same OEM part. Any help on the rotor removal would be much appreciated.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.