2013 CTS Coupe Paint (Acid Rain)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Gerry1946
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2013 CTS Coupe Paint (Acid Rain) in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Hi, I am new to the Cadillac Forum. I took delivery of a 2013 CTS Coupe 10 days ago. The ...
    Gerry1946 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS Coupe

2013 CTS Coupe Paint (Acid Rain)

Hi, I am new to the Cadillac Forum. I took delivery of a 2013 CTS Coupe 10 days ago. The car required some refinishing due to acid rain spotting. My local dealer did an excellent job. They repainted the hood. Other spots were removed by sanding and spraying new clear coat. The paint is Black Raven.

I am concerned because ten days later the same spots are reappearing. The car is kept in a garage and has not been rained on nor had water sitting on the finish and drying. My dealer said they will take care of this and I believe they will do what it takes to correct this. I have no complaints. I am just trying to learn as much as I can. I have painted cars in the past so I am somewhat familiar with paint defect and causes but I am not familiar with clear coat.

Has anyone on this forum experienced this? I am wondering if there is some underlying issue other than acid rain that is causing these spots. Any paint experts out there? Can this be corrected by buffing? Sanding? Re-clear coat? Or is repainting necessary?

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Z71
    Z71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD Performance Sedan

Re: 2013 CTS Coupe Paint (Acid Rain)

If the marks came back it usually means the paint shop was not thorough. I had a similar problem with a Chevy truck once. Blemish in paint from ?, body shop repainted fender. A few weeks later blemish starts to reappear so they repaint again (2nd repaint). A month later its back so I show it to the body shop manager who shakes his head. First time we can call it bad luck, 2nd time its the painter. I will put my best man on it and he did, never had the problem again.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry1946 View Post
    Hi, I am new to the Cadillac Forum. I took delivery of a 2013 CTS Coupe 10 days ago. The car required some refinishing due to acid rain spotting. My local dealer did an excellent job. They repainted the hood. Other spots were removed by sanding and spraying new clear coat. The paint is Black Raven.

I am concerned because ten days later the same spots are reappearing. The car is kept in a garage and has not been rained on nor had water sitting on the finish and drying. My dealer said they will take care of this and I believe they will do what it takes to correct this. I have no complaints. I am just trying to learn as much as I can. I have painted cars in the past so I am somewhat familiar with paint defect and causes but I am not familiar with clear coat.

Has anyone on this forum experienced this? I am wondering if there is some underlying issue other than acid rain that is causing these spots. Any paint experts out there? Can this be corrected by buffing? Sanding? Re-clear coat? Or is repainting necessary?

Thanks in advance.
    Hello Gerry1946,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new 13' CTS Coupe! I understand how this paint concern with your vehicle due to acid rain spotting can be frustrating. I am glad the dealer is accommodating for you and will be looking to repair your vehicle again. This forum is a great way to get advice from other Cadillac owners and lovers, as I see a member already responded to you. Please keep us updated after your next vehicle paint fix. Gregory W. and myself monitor the Cadillac forums and I am sure you will be seeing our names around. We can be reached via private message or by Email at socialmedia@gm.com if you have any concerns or questions.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

angelbones is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe (formerly)

Not to alarm you but I probably should relate a story here. When looking for my present coupe, I ran across a great deal on a barely used 2012 Opulent Blue coupe. The reason it was a great deal was because the car had a salvage title due solely to the paint. GM bought the car back, but it could only be resold with a salvage title. The paint actually looked great and I saw no blemishes. Of course, the used car dealer selling it said something like, "Oh the customer just didn't like the color" (which was BS) and "it still comes with a warranty, so don't worry" (which was true but worrisome). I came in with a low offer and they refused it. Turns out, I was way too high, and that dealer should've taken my money and ran. (Although I may have had problems getting a loan anyway due to the salvage title) My point being, when it comes to paint issues, they never seem to go away. It will affect your resale value, and you may be back in the shop several times.

Hopefully, this is an isolated and more importantly fixable issue, but I just wanted you to be aware that the CTS, like all brands will have the occasional car with paint issues.

On the bright side, congrats and welcome to the forum.

Thanks to all who replied. I visited my dealer today. They were a bit surprised that the spots came back. Without hesitation they agreed to repaint the top. We agreed to wait until the end of September. They are expanding their body shop and installing a new paint booth. I also feel that is is best to wait a bit to see if any other blemishes show.

My first post did not state that the dealer said that they would apply the paint protection coating after 60 days at no cost due to the delay in delivery. How great is that? The waiting period is to assure that the repainted hood has time to "harden". At that time they did tell me that they were not going to include the guarantee that normally comes with the protective coating. In light of this new development I asked them to reconsider including the guarantee and they agreed to include it. This provides me with some peace of mind and I feel that I am dealing with a reputable dealer. I did read that the "jury is still out" regarding the effectiveness of these coatings. Guess I will find out first hand.

Drove 100 miles today just to take her out. This is the best handling auto I have ever owned. I now know what people mean when they say you can feel the road or feel the car. I will be interested to see/drive the electric version (hybrid) of this Coupe. I just love the looks of this car. Silly as it may sound, I am looking forward to trading on a newer model. Perhaps a 2015 or 16. I imagine they will tweak the styling a bit or add some more cool features.

I will post again after I get more miles.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Thanks to all who replied. I visited my dealer today. They were a bit surprised that the spots came back. Without hesitation they agreed to repaint the top. We agreed to wait until the end of September. They are expanding their body shop and installing a new paint booth. I also feel that is is best to wait a bit to see if any other blemishes show.

My first post did not state that the dealer said that they would apply the paint protection coating after 60 days at no cost due to the delay in delivery. How great is that? The waiting period is to assure that the repainted hood has time to "harden". At that time they did tell me that they were not going to include the guarantee that normally comes with the protective coating. In light of this new development I asked them to reconsider including the guarantee and they agreed to include it. This provides me with some peace of mind and I feel that I am dealing with a reputable dealer. I did read that the "jury is still out" regarding the effectiveness of these coatings. Guess I will find out first hand.

Drove 100 miles today just to take her out. This is the best handling auto I have ever owned. I now know what people mean when they say you can feel the road or feel the car. I will be interested to see/drive the electric version (hybrid) of this Coupe. I just love the looks of this car. Silly as it may sound, I am looking forward to trading on a newer model. Perhaps a 2015 or 16. I imagine they will tweak the styling a bit or add some more cool features.

I will post again after I get more miles.
    Hi Gerry1946,

Thank you for posting an update of your situation. I am happy the dealership is accommodating for you. I apologize you have to deal with a paint issue with your new vehicle, but I hope you continue to enjoy the ride! You know how to contact us if you ever need assistance.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

UPDATE:
    Brought my CTS to my dealer yesterday so they can repaint the top. (Acid rain spots came back) I pointed out a small blemish on the trunk. I apologized for being so "picky". Dealer response was "no need to apologize, it's a Cadillac. It should be perfect". By the way, all this rework was accomplished through a handshake. How's that for customer service?
    HurstGN and hauler like this.

jeffc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry1946
    UPDATE:
    Brought my CTS to my dealer yesterday so they can repaint the top. (Acid rain spots came back) I pointed out a small blemish on the trunk. I apologized for being so "picky". Dealer response was "no need to apologize, it's a Cadillac. It should be perfect". By the way, all this rework was accomplished through a handshake. How's that for customer service?
    You have a GREAT dealer! Stick with them, they sound like a winner!!!

hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Sportwagon 18.2city 28hwy 25hwy AC on

UPDATE:
    If you entered your general location in your profile, we'd all know where the great dealer is....... Just sayin.

Picked up my car today. Dealer painted the top, trunk and top of rear quarters. Looks beautiful. I'll bring it back in 2 months to have the paint protection applied.

@ Hauler

Gordie Boucher Chevrolet & Cadillac.
    Racine, WI 53406

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.