Hands free phone question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Hands free phone question in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I have a 2013 CTS with blue tooth. My phone has blue tooth but blue tooth will only work if ...
    Charming Kitten is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS

Hands free phone question

I have a 2013 CTS with blue tooth. My phone has blue tooth but blue tooth will only work if I say 'Handsfree' and then 'call'. It doesn't recognize my phone directory, but it will dial if I give say the phone number. Time to upgrade my phone? My phone is about 3 or 4 years old. US Cellular is my servie and its an LG brand. Not a smart phone, btw. Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

arw1510 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD
    Quote Originally Posted by Charming Kitten View Post
    I have a 2013 CTS with blue tooth. My phone has blue tooth but blue tooth will only work if I say 'Handsfree' and then 'call'. It doesn't recognize my phone directory, but it will dial if I give say the phone number. Time to upgrade my phone? My phone is about 3 or 4 years old. US Cellular is my servie and its an LG brand. Not a smart phone, btw. Thank you.
    I think that's how its supposed to work. Brand new galaxy s4 and I go through those same voice prompts to use it

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by arw1510

I think that's how its supposed to work. Brand new galaxy s4 and I go through those same voice prompts to use it
    That is correct. This is how it works. You can store numbers in the car verbally with voice tags.

reciprocity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2009 CTS Premium (RWD w/3.6DI & FE2)

Re: Hands free phone question

Congratulations on the new car. The system in the current CTS is an older system, licensed from Microsoft. Its voice commands are more limited than the new CUE (Cadillac User Experience) system and it doesn't understand natural language -- you're required to say exactly the things it can understand. The third-generation CTS will have CUE when it comes out later this year, just like the ATS, XTS, and SRX do now.

What you're describing is exactly how your car works. That being said, the system does work great for dialing the phone, answering incoming calls, etc. You just have to manually add contacts to your address book and record "name tags" for each one (refer to the manual -- it's really pretty simple). Also, be sure to check out the downloadable voice command "cheat sheet" someone shared on here previously. It's pretty handy.

FYI, if you do opt to get a new phone and want to do more sophisticated things via voice commands, Apple's Siri system on iPhones does work through the Bluetooth system in our cars. You just have to push and hold the home button on the actual phone to access it (rather than using the steering wheel controls).
    mnmjack likes this.

hostmadsen is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    FYI, if you do opt to get a new phone and want to do more sophisticated things via voice commands, Apple's Siri system on iPhones does work through the Bluetooth system in our cars. You just have to push and hold the home button on the actual phone to access it (rather than using the steering wheel controls).
    Also, as mentioned in the cheat sheet, you can say "bluetooth" followed by "voice" to access Siri. Slightly slow process, but that way you can leave the phone in your pocket etc. and still use Siri.
    mnmjack likes this.

hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Sportwagon 18.2city 28hwy 25hwy AC on

I use a 10 year old Sony Erickson phone with no problems. Your car has a memory for numbers and does not use or transfer the list in your phone, but storing is easy and makes the system simple to use.

If you want to call Mr NAME at (123) 456-7890,
    instead of saying:CALL 1234567890
    say: STORE 1234567890
    The car will ask for a name to go with the number. Give it a NAME to go with the number (e.g. home, office, dick, jane).

From then on, after you press the phone button on the steering wheel, you can simply say: Call NAME
    It will respond: Calling NAME using TWINNED PHONE
    and it will connect you to (123) 456-7890

The car can store up to 30 NAMEs and numbers.
    All of the above assumes that you have already twinned your cell phone to the car, and your phone is turned on and in the car.

PS: Saying "hands free" is optional, and I never say it, but then I do not have an Onstar phone number for the car. if you have one, you may have to say it in order to differentiate between phones. You can TWIN up to 5 phones. I named mine Sony. My wife's twinned phone is named iPhone.
    mnmjack likes this.

MaxBuck is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 DI Blue Diamond

The Bluetooth system in the CTS is less user-friendly than any other I've tried.

Honestly, if I'd known it worked as it does I might not have purchased the car. I use auto Bluetooth a lot, and this flavor is very tedious.

angelbones is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe (formerly)

Quote Originally Posted by MaxBuck View Post
    The Bluetooth system in the CTS is less user-friendly than any other I've tried.

Honestly, if I'd known it worked as it does I might not have purchased the car. I use auto Bluetooth a lot, and this flavor is very tedious.
    My last two cars had bluetooth and actually the CTS has worked better than either. I don't have to say handsfree and I do like hauler and have names stored and is pretty easy. The only issue I have occasionally is that when someone calls, the phone will ring through the system and when I answer, only the phone is working. In other words, the stereo cuts out, the phone symbol is on the radio, but the speakers don't work. I then have to physically pick up the phone. Very odd and annoying when it happens, but it doesn't happen a lot, and I'm on the phone quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by angelbones

My last two cars had bluetooth and actually the CTS has worked better than either. I don't have to say handsfree and I do like hauler and have names stored and is pretty easy. The only issue I have occasionally is that when someone calls, the phone will ring through the system and when I answer, only the phone is working. In other words, the stereo cuts out, the phone symbol is on the radio, but the speakers don't work. I then have to physically pick up the phone. Very odd and annoying when it happens, but it doesn't happen a lot, and I'm on the phone quite a bit.
    That has happened to me too, although very rarely.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by MaxBuck

My Acura (previous car) actually had two buttons. One for Handsfree calling and another for the other voice commands (NAV and HVAC). Since the Caddy only has one button, I could see it needing the "Handsfree" command so that it knows you want to make phone calls.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Charming Kitten View Post
    Hello Charming Kitten,

Welcome to the forum! I hope you are enjoying your 13' CTS so far. I see other forum members have engaged with your post and have offered insight to your Bluetooth concerns. If you still have additional questions, don't hesitate to contact us. We can be reached via private message or by Email at socialmedia@gm.com.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care
    mnmjack likes this.

1955CTS4 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS4 Coupe

I have a Galaxy S3. I "double click" on the hard button at the bottom of the phone to activate the phones voice recognition and after a prompt I just say call (anyone in my phones contact list) and it does. Works great. It even mutes the radio and/or lowers the A/C blower just like the cars phone. All of the hard buttons in the steering work as well. I can even send text messages like this as well.
    mnmjack likes this.

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

When you select a call to dial through the button on the steering wheel, the system will announce the paired phones. To make a call through On* you have to push the blue telephone icon on our rearview mirror. That way the call goes directly through On* and not your cell phone.
    mnmjack likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by C "T" ess
    When you select a call to dial through the button on the steering wheel, the system will announce the paired phones. To make a call through On* you have to push the blue telephone icon on our rearview mirror. That way the call goes directly through On* and not your cell phone.
    I have found that if a phone is not present when you initiate the call it will default to On*.
    mnmjack likes this.

hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Sportwagon 18.2city 28hwy 25hwy AC on

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    I have found that if a phone is not present when you initiate the call it will default to On*.
    The first time I hit the phone button accidentally on the steering wheel while going 75mph on the interstate, the on star announcement made me jump and the car touched the road shoulder. Those buttons, and the ones on remotes, need to be recessed so they are harder to accidentally press. I laugh every time I go in the garage after stooping to weed the garden, and I find the wagon hatch open because the remote in my pocket is so easily tripped. Other times I have set off the car alarm reaching down to start the lawn mower.
    mnmjack likes this.

zachgeo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Sport Sedan

What sort of phone do you have? On my blackberry, I simply say "hands free," then "voice." After that, it accesses the phone's directory and starts asking me annoying questions like "what would you like to do?" to which the answer is "call Joe Shmoe." After a long question and answer session with the phone about which Joe Schmoe I'd like to call, at which number, and whether I'd like to call Mr. Schmoe now (as opposed to later?), I get through to Joe. But most of that is the blackberry, and I assume that more advanced phones are less annoying. The trick to get to the phone's directory, though, seems to be that you say "voice" at the critical time...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.