Brand New 2013 CTS Coupe - Navi and Rotor Problems
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Brand New 2013 CTS Coupe - Navi and Rotor Problems in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Hi Everyone, I'm new to the forum and to Cadillacs. My wife and I just leased new Cadillacs, a CTS ...
    Coastrider is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS Coupe - 2013 SRX

Brand New 2013 CTS Coupe - Navi and Rotor Problems

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and to Cadillacs. My wife and I just leased new Cadillacs, a CTS Coupe for me and an SRX for her. I love the coupe, but in four weeks of ownership it has experienced two problems requiring dealer attention. On my first highway ride I noticed a pronounced oscillation in the steering wheel upon moderate braking from highway speeds. The dealer was able to reproduce the problem, and corrected it by turning the front rotors.

Now the Navi system is acting up. It occasionally goes into a recalculating frenzy or reboots on its own, and most recently locked up completely, refusing all inputs and commands (including audio), and even refusing to shut off and retract until I opened the car door minutes after shutting the engine off.

My dealer has been responsive and gracious, making the experience tolerable, but getting there is a battle with NYC traffic that can take up to two hours from my home. I understand its a complex vehicle, so I'm willing to suffer through teething pains with it.

My questions for the forum are these:

1. Are rotor problems common in a new CTS, and is it a manufacturing issue? Rotors seem not last as they did in the past, and whenever I've had a rotor problem my car dealer insisted on replacing it (at my expense). Now Cadillac opts to resurface them in a new car rather than replace them. Doesn't seem right.

2. Have others experienced the Navi/Audio issues I'm having now, and is the fix a major repair?

Thanks for any insights you can provide. I'm looking forward to participating in this forum.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

mcneill8328 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe, Premium Pkg
    I don't have navigation on my car so I can't speak to that, but turning rotors on a brand new car is ridiculous. They should have replaced them, no questions asked. Why should you have a brand new car with (now) old brakes? That was a poor decision by your dealer.

Coastrider is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS Coupe - 2013 SRX

Re: Brand New 2013 CTS Coupe - Navi and Rotor Problems

I agree that the rotors should have been replaced, and were the car not leased I might have taken issue with the repair. As it stands, the car is completely covered for the length of time I'll own it.

The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

I've had similar problems with the NAV system on both my old 2008 CTS and my current 2011 CTS.

On the 2008, it would occasionally lock up when I made a phone call, refusing to disconnect the call and not allowing me to do anything else until I 1) power off the phone and 2) turned off the car, waited a few minutes, and turned it back on.

The problem on the 2011 is a bit different. If I try to enter an address using voice commands ("enter street") shortly after starting the engine and leaving the house, the system will lock up. Turning off the engine and restarting it doesn't seem to help when this happens, but after about 5 minutes the screen goes black and the system reboots. It will sometimes continue to be a problem and I have to wait another 5 minutes.

I have to assume both problems were/are related to software glitches and/or hardware/wiring issues. But because the problems are infrequent (once a month or so) and nearly impossible to replicate, I haven't bothered to have my dealer look into them, even though the service manager has offered to do so. I don't want to leave my car there for a day or two and have the dash torn apart in a futile hunt for an invisible problem.

I believe the NAV unit in 2013 CTS is virtually identical to the one in my 2011, which is the same as the one in my 2008. That means the software was probably written and the hardware designed around 2006 with only minor tweaks since then.

hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Sportwagon 18.2city 28hwy 25hwy AC on

IMO rotors only need to be replaced if they have hot spots, so if they didn't, what the dealer did was acceptable. If they did have hot spots, the rotor problem will return as the pads wear the rotors unevenly due to the surface hardness variation.

PS: Y'all make me so happy I didn't opt for the built in nav. I did have an $90 aftermarket dashtop nav that had those problems, but the replacement I use now does not. Of course, my cheap GPS doesn't talk to me or listen either.

Also, since you asked, I have a 2013 that I occasionally suspect is having a rotor problem, but fortunately, the next application of the brakes always removes that suspicion. I had a lot of rotor problems with Thunderbirds, years ago, so I consider myself overly sensitive.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Coastrider View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and to Cadillacs. My wife and I just leased new Cadillacs, a CTS Coupe for me and an SRX for her. I love the coupe, but in four weeks of ownership it has experienced two problems requiring dealer attention. On my first highway ride I noticed a pronounced oscillation in the steering wheel upon moderate braking from highway speeds. The dealer was able to reproduce the problem, and corrected it by turning the front rotors.

Now the Navi system is acting up. It occasionally goes into a recalculating frenzy or reboots on its own, and most recently locked up completely, refusing all inputs and commands (including audio), and even refusing to shut off and retract until I opened the car door minutes after shutting the engine off.

My dealer has been responsive and gracious, making the experience tolerable, but getting there is a battle with NYC traffic that can take up to two hours from my home. I understand its a complex vehicle, so I'm willing to suffer through teething pains with it.

My questions for the forum are these:

1. Are rotor problems common in a new CTS, and is it a manufacturing issue? Rotors seem not last as they did in the past, and whenever I've had a rotor problem my car dealer insisted on replacing it (at my expense). Now Cadillac opts to resurface them in a new car rather than replace them. Doesn't seem right.

2. Have others experienced the Navi/Audio issues I'm having now, and is the fix a major repair?

Thanks for any insights you can provide. I'm looking forward to participating in this forum.
    Hello Coastrider,

Welcome to the forum! This is a great way to stay connected with other Cadillac owners and learn information. Congrats on you and your wife's new CTS Coupe and SRX. Both are excellent choices! I apologize for any vehicle issues you are already experiencing with your CTS Coupe. I see other forum members have already helped answer your questions and provide their input on your situation. I understand how trips to the dealer, especially in NYC traffic can be difficult and time consuming. I am glad the dealer was able to duplicate the vehicle steering problem and corrected it. I apologize your navigation system is now malfunctioning. I would like to further discuss any current concerns with you. Gregory W. also helps monitor this forum with me, and we can both be reached via private message or by Email at socialmedia@gm.com. Due to being a new member, you are limited with private message space, that is why I provided our Email address for you.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    In have had no issues with rotors or the Nav.

I have an issue with turning the rotors as a solution. Today's rotors are limited in how many times they an be turned (BMW doesn't even turn them. They replace them for every brake job).

So by turning the rotors they have essentially added a cost to the owner at the next brake job as the rotors may not be able to be turned any more and will require the owner to have to pay for new rotors they he may not have had to if the rotors never warped.

You may not care since you leased, but I would have had an issue since I bought my car and plan to keep it.

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

GM doesn't recommend turning rotors either during normal pad replacement only thickness variation ect from what I have been told.

I just recently started getting a pulsation with my front brakes with under 30K just after my last free oil change and tire rotation my b.f. said it isn't worth the hassle considering what else I have been through with my CTS so he will do my brakes but said I better not ever let a Cadillac dealership rotate my tires again and if I do I am paying for the next brake job out of my own pocket.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by CTSCHICK
    GM doesn't recommend turning rotors either during normal pad replacement only thickness variation ect from what I have been told.

I just recently started getting a pulsation with my front brakes with under 30K just after my last free oil change and tire rotation my b.f. said it isn't worth the hassle considering what else I have been through with my CTS so he will do my brakes but said I better not ever let a Cadillac dealership rotate my tires again and if I do I am paying for the next brake job out of my own pocket.
    To give some perspective, I owned a 2001 Acura TL that had a chronic issue with warped rotors. Apparently it was a known issue with those cars. The pads were replaced several times along with the rotors replaced or turned several times in over 70K miles.

ctspremium is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS Premium
    Having owned a '13 CTS premium w/Auto, V-6, coupe, etc. The only problem I've had was a bad Fob, in a little over 14 K. I did have to replace the rear tires, but that wasn't a fault of the vehicle. I had a 3" wood screw in the RR tire. Replaced both rear tires since I had almost 11K on them. Great mileage, performance, comfort, etc. This is our fifth Cadillac.

Quote Originally Posted by ctspremium View Post
    Having owned a '13 CTS premium w/Auto, V-6, coupe, etc. The only problem I've had was a bad Fob, in a little over 14 K. I did have to replace the rear tires, but that wasn't a fault of the vehicle. I had a 3" wood screw in the RR tire. Replaced both rear tires since I had almost 11K on them. Great mileage, performance, comfort, etc. This is our fifth Cadillac.
    Hello ctspremium,

I am happy to hear that you haven’t had too many issues with your CTS! Thank you very much for your continued patronage of our products! If you have any questions or concerns regarding your vehicle, please feel free to reach out to Laura or I via private message. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Mrod8888 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS Coupe

The 2013 has major problems with the navigation that both my dealer and Cadillac have confirmed. They didn't know of the problem until recently and are working on it. Mine brings me to the wrong state even when the correct state is entered and when you enter an eastern coordinate like E Main Street, it often brings you to W Main St and vice versa. There are also a bunch of streets and addresses that are simply missing. These aren't new addresses and I like in an established city. And it does occasionally lock up, including the radio - especially when using hands free. Cadillac has indicated to me that the problem is with the navigation disc and a new disc is due in mid-September, but they are unsure if the new disc will have addressed the issues listed above. Let's hope so!

Caddyman1154 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 cts4 DI
    I own a 2011 coupe v6. The only problems I have with my navi is when its hot in the car from sitting in the sun all day the Navi screen squeels going up and down. Oh and squealing brakes at 30,000km.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrod8888 View Post
    The 2013 has major problems with the navigation that both my dealer and Cadillac have confirmed. They didn't know of the problem until recently and are working on it. Mine brings me to the wrong state even when the correct state is entered and when you enter an eastern coordinate like E Main Street, it often brings you to W Main St and vice versa. There are also a bunch of streets and addresses that are simply missing. These aren't new addresses and I like in an established city. And it does occasionally lock up, including the radio - especially when using hands free. Cadillac has indicated to me that the problem is with the navigation disc and a new disc is due in mid-September, but they are unsure if the new disc will have addressed the issues listed above. Let's hope so!
    Hello Mrod8888,

Welcome to the forum! This is a great way to stay connected and get great advice from other Cadillac owners. I am sorry you are experiencing navigation issues with your 13' CTS Coupe. I understand your frustration with this. If there are any questions or concerns you have, Gregory W. and myself monitor the Cadillac forums and are able to be contacted via private message or by Email at socialmedia@gm.com.

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Ramv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    No nav problem on our ''12 or my'05 Chevy. During aggressive braking on ours last weekend I got some vibes. Bad. On my Chevy they resurfaced; which was a waste of time. On this car I Wll just do what I eventually did to the Chevy and go aftermarket. My go larger but definitely slotted.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.