Does #11340C special coverage adjustment cover every 2009 3.6L CTS? - Page 9
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Does #11340C special coverage adjustment cover every 2009 3.6L CTS? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept they did incorporate a level indicator though it's commonly called a "dipstick" and the owner's manual ...
    CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

Re: Does #11340C special coverage adjustment cover every 2009 3.6L CTS?

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    they did incorporate a level indicator though it's commonly called a "dipstick" and the owner's manual is very clear about checking the oil level every time you fill up for gas
    personally i don't check every time i get gas but i usually check once a month or so
    Nice way to dumb it down for customers and push the blame on to them when consumers of other brands dont have to check their oil level weekly or even monthly.
    Because their engines are not missing 2 quarts of oil in between oil changes.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

i'm just saying ... the fact that our engines actually have a physical oil level indicator (dipstick) is actually better than other electronic sensors that other manufacturers use

would you rather trust the electronics to read the oil level correctly or your own eyes to see the oil level correctly?

and why should it not fall on the owner of the vehicle to perform regular maintenance and fluid level checks? (that is what you're saying right?)

just because your engine isn't supposed to consume oil or other engines don't consume oil (or even if your engine doesn't consume oil) that doesn't mean that checking the oil level regularly isn't a good idea or something that should be done (even when there's no reason to suspect a problem)

for instance - forget we're talking about a specific vehicle and consider this situation:
    what if a leak in your oil pan gasket (or oil pressure switch or whatever) had just started a few days ago and you checked your oil and it was really low?
    wouldn't it be nice to catch it at your weekly gas station fill up and not wait until you're doing 70 on the interstate miles from anywhere and the engine starts knocking?
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

^ Because most people do not care for their cars enough to go through that hassle and they shouldn't have to if it is built right.

Me as an enthusiast I can accept that responsibility but the majority of consumers do not and I honestly can not blame them.

Know what is worse perception wise? Buying a $47K car and being caught by your neighbors checking the oil level of your brand new car in your drive way weekly or even monthly.

That is a concept GM just can't seem to understand.

even if it's built right they should have to and that's why it's in the owners manual
    and i'm pretty sure a similar recommendation is in all the other manufacturers' owners manuals too
    (well the ones that have physical dipsticks at least)

just because people don't care for their cars doesn't mean that it falls upon the manufacturer to dummy proof their products
    (hey, they kind of already are and what we're getting is less and less interesting vehicles because they're building to the lowest common denominator)

i could care less what my idiot neighbors thought about my prudent oil level checks... i probably think the same thing about them when i notice that they never wash their car or vacuum it out or check their oil or washer fluid etc etc etc

GM does understand that concept but they also understand that these are machines not appliances ... and when it comes to cadillacs they're also works of art
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Cougar281 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 Silverado Duramax, 95 Cougar, 2010 CTS4 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by CTSCHICK View Post
    ^ Because most people do not care for their cars enough to go through that hassle and they shouldn't have to if it is built right.

Me as an enthusiast I can accept that responsibility but the majority of consumers do not and I honestly can not blame them.

Know what is worse perception wise? Buying a $47K car and being caught by your neighbors checking the oil level of your brand new car in your drive way weekly or even monthly.

That is a concept GM just can't seem to understand.
    That and there is a big difference between a modern engine burning potentially as much as 4 quarts (or more) in 10k miles and a leak... If your oil pan gasket springs a leak, you're going to see the oil slick on the driveway and think 'hmmm... something's wrong here... let me check...'

My truck, which is just about 10 years old, has 190k on it and puts down about double stock power, only looses about a quart or so in 10k.

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    even if it's built right they should have to and that's why it's in the owners manual
    and i'm pretty sure a similar recommendation is in all the other manufacturers' owners manuals too
    (well the ones that have physical dipsticks at least)

just because people don't care for their cars doesn't mean that it falls upon the manufacturer to dummy proof their products
    (hey, they kind of already are and what we're getting is less and less interesting vehicles because they're building to the lowest common denominator)

i could care less what my idiot neighbors thought about my prudent oil level checks... i probably think the same thing about them when i notice that they never wash their car or vacuum it out or check their oil or washer fluid etc etc etc

GM does understand that concept but they also understand that these are machines not appliances ... and when it comes to cadillacs they're also works of art

Here is a concept that you refuse to understand there is plenty of other manufacturers that can build engines that do not consume so much oil that it is dangerously low in between oil changes that requires the manufacturer to recalibrate the oil life monitor to compensate for those defects.
    That does not fall on to the consumers responsibility.

Responses like that is exactly why a majority of consumers will only purchase a Cadillac once before they go else where.

i'm not saying there's not a problem and i'm not saying that it's acceptable but...
    we don't know what percentage of these engines have problems with oil consumption
    we don't know why those engines have problems with oil consumption
    (is it engine break-in? is it the wrong oil being used? is it a manufacturing defect? is it a design flaw?)

GM has stepped up and acknowledged there's an issue and extended the warranty to 10 years or 120,000 miles
    what else should they do?

I don't know Rippy but I do know they are still recalibrating OLM's on vehicles up to 2012 models.

Other than that I think they are getting better with the increased willingness of goodwill warranty repairs which shows they are publicly trying.

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

There are lots of other brands that use oil, about a month ago an enthusiast owner of a new STi spun a bearing because he was 4 liters low and had no idea, look around the net, all brands have had oil drinking monsters.

This is a tough one to point the finger, GM may be at fault for the engine using oil but the end user is totally at fault for running it out of oil.

Same thing on the SRX board, some V6's use oil. The "i should not have to" thinking I understand but it is not an excuse to run the motor out of oil, it sucks I get it but still the owner has to have some responsibility.

Now for the guys who run out of oil in the span of a tank of fuel then ya GM needs to step up and fix that crap, I have heard a few stories of that.

Cougar281 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 Silverado Duramax, 95 Cougar, 2010 CTS4 Premium

Break-in could play a role in oil consumption. I suspect *MOST* (not all) Caddilac drivers drive their cars easy, causing a poor break-in. I wonder how the consumption is on the 3.6 in the Camaros? I searched Google quick and while the first hit was related to a 2011 CTS 3.6, I didn't see much about the Camaro.

Google 'MotoMan Break-in'.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

sjk217 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Worse than than, Im being told that even though my car is included in the special coverage adjustment group (2009 CTS), since mine was manufactured in Lansing Michigan it is not covered. Whereas if it was assembled in Lordstown Ohio then they would pay for the repair. What kind of crap is this????? This is my first American car, when I was younger I always bough German cars but thought I should do the patriotic thing and buy American. This sounds like B.S. to me......yes sir we know your year make and model is covered under this warranty just not yours cause it was built in the wrong state?!?!?!?

Mustang Matt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Man, I am sorry to hear that. I would laugh at the situation, except it's not freaking funny. If I had to guess, maybe there's some state law that lowers the liability for cars built in Michigan compared to Ohio. I'm impressed you got that information out of them. I wonder if that's the same situation for me.

I've been checking my dipstick *constantly* since I changed my chains. I'm around 6000 miles and it's still showing full. I was thinking about changing it but I kind of want to push it further to see if it starts dropping eventually.

Somehow changing the timing chains must have magically fixed an oil consumption problem. Probably just the GM magic fairy sprinkling pixie dust on it while it was apart. Some of the people in this thread are snorting the GM magic fairy pixie dust.

In an attempt to track down the root cause (vs Low Oil durka durka that gets spouted here) I had an in-depth private conversation with the guys at Cloyes about this topic. A lot of interesting information came out of those conversations but as promised, I will keep it private. The end result is, as owners there is nothing we can do. I will say this, low oil will *absolutely* cause problems, but full oil is no guarantee at all that you won't have problems. The *only* solution to completely avoid this problem is to not own a GM 3.6L.

Take note that GM added a year but decreased the mileage warranty in 2013 on the 3.6L powertrain.

"Cadillac 6-year/70,000-mile1 Transferable Powertrain Limited Warranty with no deductible for 2013 and newer models (5-years/100,000-miles1 for 2012 and older models)."

like2drive is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS RWD 3.6L SFI Black Cherry / Cashmere

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang Matt View Post
    Man, I am sorry to hear that. I would laugh at the situation, except it's not freaking funny. If I had to guess, maybe there's some state law that lowers the liability for cars built in Michigan compared to Ohio. I'm impressed you got that information out of them. I wonder if that's the same situation for me.

I've been checking my dipstick *constantly* since I changed my chains. I'm around 6000 miles and it's still showing full. I was thinking about changing it but I kind of want to push it further to see if it starts dropping eventually.

Somehow changing the timing chains must have magically fixed an oil consumption problem. Probably just the GM magic fairy sprinkling pixie dust on it while it was apart. Some of the people in this thread are snorting the GM magic fairy pixie dust.

In an attempt to track down the root cause (vs Low Oil durka durka that gets spouted here) I had an in-depth private conversation with the guys at Cloyes about this topic. A lot of interesting information came out of those conversations but as promised, I will keep it private. The end result is, as owners there is nothing we can do. I will say this, low oil will *absolutely* cause problems, but full oil is no guarantee at all that you won't have problems. The *only* solution to completely avoid this problem is to not own a GM 3.6L.

Take note that GM added a year but decreased the mileage warranty in 2013 on the 3.6L powertrain.

"Cadillac 6-year/70,000-mile1 Transferable Powertrain Limited Warranty with no deductible for 2013 and newer models (5-years/100,000-miles1 for 2012 and older models)."
    I can't believe that after 10 years - the GM 3.6L first came out in the 2004 CTS - that GM did not find a way to built an engine that will not have timing chain issues. They now use this 3.6L in all core brands. Of course, I understand you should not run low on oil...

Yea, the warranty is now (since 2013) 6 yrs/70k miles powertrain for Cadillacs and Buicks, while it remains 5 yrs/100k miles for Chevys and GMCs... Why is that?

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

More than likely, each assembly plant has a different supplier, causing one being covered and the other on isn't. Just my 2cents, M arv
    RippyPartsDept likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.