Does #11340C special coverage adjustment cover every 2009 3.6L CTS? - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Does #11340C special coverage adjustment cover every 2009 3.6L CTS? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I have to concur, as you can see by my age, I have probly put on a few miles, I ...
    Douglas Rome is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-4 3.0 Base sedan 2nd owner bought used 22Kmi

Re: Does #11340C special coverage adjustment cover every 2009 3.6L CTS?

I have to concur, as you can see by my age, I have probly put on a few miles, I have NEVER EVER
    had any sort of timing chain issues. thanks, douglas

gohawks63 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Rome
    I have to concur, as you can see by my age, I have probly put on a few miles, I have NEVER EVER
    had any sort of timing chain issues. thanks, douglas
    I want implying it was normal, but it happens. I had a transmission fail on my first Acura at 110K miles. Shouldn't have happened. Only minor issues with my next two Acura vehicles.

Before that I had a top of the line Starcraft converted Chevy Blazer. I traded it in for that 1st Acura when it had less than 50K miles on her. During that time ( less than three years) it had the digital dash replaced three times, ball joints replaced ( it never so much as went on a gravel road), power door lock actuator replaced, 4 wheel drive switch went bad and replaced, water pump started leaking at 40k miles and was replaced, torsion bar mount failed, occasionally the windshield wipers would go off on their own and at 45K miles I would get a cloud of blue smoke after starting it hinting a bad valve seals. That was the final straw and despite how beautiful the truck was I traded her in 1993 and didn't own another domestic car until my CTS.

I had a 2004 Landcruiser. Legendary for their reliability. At 40K miles a main component that controls the Nav, audio and HVAC failed. 4K miles out of the factory B2B warranty. There was a TSB out that called for a new part. Just the part cost $5K. Yes FIVE THOUSAND dollars. Who knows if Toyota would have stepped up there since fortunately I had purchased an extended warranty I wasn't impressed though but I would have been more pissed if I had to shell out that money to fix a $64K vehicle with barely 40K miles that had no heat, Nav, or radio. That car went on to give us another 120K miles of nearly flawless service. It was bullet proof and ran as good as the day we bought it with 160K miles on her

My point is that none of these things should happen, but sometimes they do, and when they happen to you it sucks.

99flhr is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS

Can anyone supply the date or VIN break point when GM switched from 9.5mm chains to the "improved" 7.7mm ?

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Quote Originally Posted by 99flhr
    Can anyone supply the date or VIN break point when GM switched from 9.5mm chains to the "improved" 7.7mm ?
    There isn't one.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63

I agree that $3,100 is ridiculous. The highest I have been quoted on timing belt replacement with a water pump replacement was around $1,500.
    Comparing a single timing belt swap to a 3 chain quad cam set up is ridiculous.

gohawks63 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS

Comparing a single timing belt swap to a 3 chain quad cam set up is ridiculous.
    Still. Half the battle is tearing it down. $3,100 still seems high to me.

FWIW (not much) Quad cam BELT swap in an SHO Ford (Yamaha engine) cost me $400 ten years ago. Had to visit 3 Ford dealers to find one who was conversant with that engine. Manual said replace @ 80 K so I did.
    IIRC it was rated @ 215HP, "seemed" like a lot more. LOL. Loved that engine

----------

[QUOTE=1BadCadSTS;10762066]There isn't one.

There certainly "is one" the fact that it`s not published seems incredibly convenient

Mustang Matt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by 99flhr View Post
    I tried to get it out of them but they wouldn't budge.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    Still. Half the battle is tearing it down. $3,100 still seems high to me.
    It is high. Cadillac was asking $1000 for parts and $2100 for labor/shop supplies. The GM dealer I spoke with was asking $400 for parts and $1700 for labor/shop supplies. In theory, this was the exact same timing chain kit so you can see the Cadillac tax kicking in hard.

tinman is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Compared to other cars is not apples to apples. Getting to the timing chain itself (what you have to tear into and remove before you can get to the chain) differs greatly.

Once you have the car repaired, why not just drive it instead of dumping it? If it's paid for, just put some money in the bank and "pay yourself" and then get a new one in a year or two. My transmission (stupid French transmission) failed three times within two months. FINALLY they put in a newly rebuilt one from GM instead of half-assed repairs by an untrained monkey. I am still unhappy about the affair, but now I have a decent car that is (once again) dependable. I'm going to keep it for a while instead of dumping it as it is paid for.

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    Compared to other cars is not apples to apples. Getting to the timing chain itself (what you have to tear into and remove before you can get to the chain) differs greatly.
    I agree, that`s why I prefaced that comment with "FWIW , probably not much"

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang Matt View Post
    I tried to get it out of them but they wouldn't budge.[COLOR=Silver]
    Interesting.
    So.. How does a DIY`er order parts ? Tear it down first, measure and then order ?
    I`m going to have a look at Rock Auto

----------

Rockauto `09 CTS w 3.6 "Timing chain package- 4drs

# 12650232 VIN 7 $182.

# 12651450 VIN V code LLT $209.79

Not sure how 7 & V applies but, there`s an answer somewhere.

The Camaro forum boys seem to think the "improved " chains hit production 07/15/2010

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

sometimes tearing down is the only way to tell which design you have
    .... even if you're a dealership

VIN 7 means the 8th digit of the VIN is a 7
    it identifies which engine is in there
    7 is the LY7 engine (port injected)
    V is the LLT engine (direct injected)

that chain pkg will come with the three chains and the three tensioners
    you should also get the guides
    there's 6 guides (i think) but it's likely that only 3 or 4 of them will be worn badly
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    Once you have the car repaired, why not just drive it instead of dumping it? If it's paid for, just put some money in the bank and "pay yourself" and then get a new one in a year or two.
    As common of a problem as it is for this motor, I don't want to deal with this ever again. Timing chains shouldn't randomly stretch.

I'm not sure what to replace it with yet though. I might go check out a new AWD ecoboost powered Fusion this week. Looks like they're running about $30k out the door.

Otherwise, I may throw practicality into the wind and check out the new 2015 Mustang redesign once they release details.

tinman is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Mustang.

Timing chain is replaced. Also replaced the thermostat and spark plugs while it was apart. Not a fun job. Primary chain was stretched a little, one of the secondaries was stretched a lot, the other secondary didn't look stretched at all.

I think a better design would have been to skip the primary/secondary setup and just run a chain from the crank to each head.

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

Thanks for the update, Matt! Hopefully all is OK now and Cadillac will come through for you in the future!

Marv

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang Matt View Post
    Timing chain is replaced. Also replaced the thermostat and spark plugs while it was apart. Not a fun job. Primary chain was stretched a little, one of the secondaries was stretched a lot, the other secondary didn't look stretched at all.

I think a better design would have been to skip the primary/secondary setup and just run a chain from the crank to each head.
    Given the info above, I`m assuming you did the work yourself. If so, major kudos to you!!! Half the drivers on the road and three quarters on this forum can`t change a flat tire

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.