Does #11340C special coverage adjustment cover every 2009 3.6L CTS? - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Does #11340C special coverage adjustment cover every 2009 3.6L CTS? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; this is silly ..... who goes on the internet and asks "is the 3.6 a junk engine?" nobody that's who. ...
    Douglas Rome is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-4 3.0 Base sedan black/black

Re: Does #11340C special coverage adjustment cover every 2009 3.6L CTS?

this is silly ..... who goes on the internet and asks "is the 3.6 a junk engine?" nobody that's who.
    you could say same about any model car, engine, etc. thanks, douglas

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

And many times things are said in the heat of passion. Once cooler heads prevail and one takes the time to think things through then opinions may change. I was hot as hell at Cadillac regarding my transmission. I still am, but I will make decisions in an informed, logical manner before I decide on another Cadillac/Jaguar/Audi/Kia or whatever.

99flhr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS

[QUOTE=tinman;10735490but I will make decisions before I decide on another Cadillac/Jaguar/Audi/Kia or Whatever.[/QUOTE]

Whatever is rumored to have a new V-8 for 2014, it`ll be on my shortlist.

Mustang Matt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Guys, This started out with me questioning why my car wasn't covered by a special coverage adjustment that covers apparently 90% of the cars like mine out there.

The 3.6L timing chain design is junk. Apparently, it's not unique to GM. In this case however, the special coverage adjustment is GM acknowledgment that they have a design issue. I'm sure in time my car will be covered too but that doesn't help me right now if GM isn't willing to stand behind their product.

IMO, $3100 for timing chains is unethical. Yes, I know it's a big job but they're milking their own design flaw for all that they can.

No other car I've owned has ever had timing chain issues. My car has never been low on oil. My chain shouldn't be stretched.

You can disagree or troll me all you want but I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish.

At the moment I am disgusted with Cadillac/GM. I believe the powertrain warranty has been decreased on new cars with these motors as well. Way to cover your butt GM.

I'm with you Matt, if GM covers it on one model, why not yours?
    But I do think you are screwed, they already denied you, you think
    they will change their mind? thanks, Douglas

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang Matt
    Guys, This started out with me questioning why my car wasn't covered by a special coverage adjustment that covers apparently 90% of the cars like mine out there.

The 3.6L timing chain design is junk. Apparently, it's not unique to GM. In this case however, the special coverage adjustment is GM acknowledgment that they have a design issue. I'm sure in time my car will be covered too but that doesn't help me right now if GM isn't willing to stand behind their product.

IMO, $3100 for timing chains is unethical. Yes, I know it's a big job but they're milking their own design flaw for all that they can.

No other car I've owned has ever had timing chain issues. My car has never been low on oil. My chain shouldn't be stretched.

You can disagree or troll me all you want but I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish.

At the moment I am disgusted with Cadillac/GM. I believe the powertrain warranty has been decreased on new cars with these motors as well. Way to cover your butt GM.
    You and others are long out of warranty thus no extended coverage will ever be given. They extended it only for cars which were still in warranty at the time. 04-06 will remain sol.

The special coverage adjustment didn't kick in for a while even for the people that are currently covered. I'm sure others have been sitting in my shoes only to have it covered after they had to deal with it.

I'm sure someday I'll get my $1.82 from a class action law suit otherwise. haha

The manager of that GM district rep just called me and said 'Hold off until Friday, we're still looking at it.'

This was after the district rep said it couldn't be escalated.

Apparently the holdup was that I do my own maintenance. After I offered to send them pics of my stockpile of Mobil 1 5W-30 and oil filters and give them all the dates/mileage of oil changes I guess they're reconsidering.
    99flhr likes this.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang Matt View Post
    The manager of that GM district rep just called me and said 'Hold off until Friday, we're still looking at it.'

Apparently the holdup was that I do my own maintenance. After I offered to send them pics of my stockpile of Mobil 1 5W-30 and oil filters and give them all the dates/mileage of oil changes I guess they're reconsidering.
    I do my own oil changes, etc. and light maintenance. Everytime I change my oil, about 7500 miles or so, I send a sample to Blackstone Labs for two reasons. First, so I can keep track of my engine and what it is doing inside. Second, it is a third party record of my oil changes. If I have a problem such as yours then I will have proof of proper oil changes.

Smart.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang Matt View Post

Hello Mustang Matt,

I understand your frustration with your situation. I see your acting agent has contacted you stating they are still looking into your case. If you would like to keep me involved throughout this process, please reach out to me via private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

mike_g is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4

Matt-

You and I seem to have similar feelings about these things. The CTS I bought is my first, and will be my last GM product. I dearly miss my '10 5.0L Mustang GT. I never had a modern Ford "consume" 1 quart every 1500 miles, or ANY oil frankly in the 10 cars I've owned over the past 15+ years (Yes, my 73 pickup burned through oil). Dear GM - that's not normal for any decent engine. The CTS is just like any cheap GM, just coated in niceness, like a pig in a dress. Everything on it feels cheap, the engine tech is ancient, the freaking roof collapses every time the blow driers at the car washes blow air on it, it constantly feels on the verge of falling into pieces. Ford is so technologically ahead of GM at this point it's not funny at all. As soon as the warranty nears its end on this car, it's gone. I wanted to try the CTS because it got all kinds of good things said about it. I've lived and learned on this one. Never again.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by mike_g View Post
    Matt-

You and I seem to have similar feelings about these things. The CTS I bought is my first, and will be my last GM product. I dearly miss my '10 5.0L Mustang GT. I never had a modern Ford "consume" 1 quart every 1500 miles, or ANY oil frankly in the 10 cars I've owned over the past 15+ years (Yes, my 73 pickup burned through oil). Dear GM - that's not normal for any decent engine. The CTS is just like any cheap GM, just coated in niceness, like a pig in a dress. Everything on it feels cheap, the engine tech is ancient, the freaking roof collapses every time the blow driers at the car washes blow air on it, it constantly feels on the verge of falling into pieces. Ford is so technologically ahead of GM at this point it's not funny at all. As soon as the warranty nears its end on this car, it's gone. I wanted to try the CTS because it got all kinds of good things said about it. I've lived and learned on this one. Never again.
    Hello mike_g,

I apologize for any trouble you have experienced with your CTS. I am sorry you feel this way based on your current situation. General Motors relies heavily on loyal customers and I hope one day we may be given the opportunity to earn your business again. If there are any concerns or questions you would like to further discuss, please reach out to us via private message.

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Mike, c'mon, 10 cars in the last 15yrs? My first car ever was a 1955 Chevy,
    then a 1958 Ford, then maybe a dodge, can't remember? I've had good ones
    and I've had not so good, but to say never again to GM, unta, ain't gonna
    happen. I can easily say that about a jap car but not about American made iron.
    thanks, Douglas

GM district rep called back today and said that due to the fact that I maintained the oil myself, (despite the fact that I have records and also despite the fact that when I took it to the dealership the oil life was at 66% and not low) they will not cover it. If I had receipts from an ASE certified shop they would have covered it.

They asked about all of these things when I first called them but insisted that I had to pay the dealership to diagnose it before they would talk to me. I wish she would have been honest with me and said no up front.

If anyone is interested, as soon as I get the timing chain replaced the car will be up for sale. Located near St. Louis.

Doug, I get what you're saying but this is the first car I've ever had engine problems and I've maintained it meticulously. If it wasn't a common problem I could write it off as a fluke. Because it's a common problem and because GM has at least partially acknowledged this for cars with chains from their previous supplier, I'm done with them.

Were my expectations wrong from the get-go? Absolutely. It doesn't change the taste in my mouth though.

If I can't find a buyer, I guess I'll check if the special coverage adjustment has been extended when I'm right on top of the 120k mile marker. Should be about 20-25 weeks. Maybe they'd at least refund the $400 for the chain kit. Probably not though since I wouldn't have ASE certified evidence that I installed it. I guess I'll take photos but that might not even be enough.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.