Does #11340C special coverage adjustment cover every 2009 3.6L CTS? - Page 10
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Like Tree18Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Does #11340C special coverage adjustment cover every 2009 3.6L CTS? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; In my teens, I drove several oil burning cars. All had oil pressure gauges. I never had to check the ...
    Stoneybroke is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS AWD Sportwagon

Re: Does #11340C special coverage adjustment cover every 2009 3.6L CTS?

In my teens, I drove several oil burning cars. All had oil pressure gauges. I never had to check the oil. Instead, I depended on the oil pressure readings. If the pressure read low, the oil was low. I still scan my dash gauges every few minutes. If an engine is down 3-4 qts, surely oil pressure is way down. I'm betting that the chains fail first, before the oil loss.

emmettjg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4

Pretty crazy that GM will tell you that the car is OK if it burns (loses) 1 Quart of oil every 5K miles.
    I check my oil regularly, (not to mention change the oil before it gets to 0%,) and it seems to go through oil like it is leaking. (it is not...)
    At any rate, the Car I have has 52,000 miles on it and it is throwing the P0008 code, and it is time for yearly inspection. After reading all the horror stories on the web, I am questioning whether or not to purchase another Cadillac. This was my first one. Too bad I didn't research this prior to buying, but it seemed like a nice car for my wife.

microfuture is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS 3.6 LY7

GM says it may be up to 1 quart every 2000 miles, and that's for 'non-aggressive' driving.
    Reviewing many forum posts it seems to vary quite a bit, with some vehicles consuming very little oil.
    It's not clear to what degree the variance is different driving style or other vehicle-specific cause (which is ???).
    I recommend every new owner initially monitor closely to determine their own vehicles oil consumption then check and topoff as indicated.

#01-06-01-011F: Information on Engine Oil Consumption Guidelines - (Jan 13, 2009)

Subject: Information on Engine Oil Consumption Guidelines

Models: 2009 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Gasoline-Powered Light Duty Trucks Under 8500 LB GVW (Including Saturn)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This bulletin is being revised to update the warranty information on vehicles and add model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-06-01-011E (Section 06 -- Engine/Propulsion System).
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All engines require oil to lubricate and protect the load bearing and internal moving parts from wear including cylinder walls, pistons and piston rings. When a piston moves down its cylinder, a thin film of oil is left on the cylinder wall. During the power stroke, part of this oil layer is consumed in the combustion process. As a result, varying rates of oil consumption are accepted as normal in all engines.

Oil Consumption
    The accepted rate of oil consumption for engines used in the vehicles referenced is 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 3200 km (2000 mi).

Important: This rate only applies to personal use vehicles, under warranty, that are driven in a non-aggressive manner and maintained in accordance with the appropriate maintenance schedule, with less than 58,000 km (36,000 mi), or driven at legal speeds in an unloaded (for trucks) condition.

Important: This rate does not apply to vehicles that are driven in an aggressive manner, at high RPM, high speeds, or in a loaded condition (for trucks). Oil consumption for vehicles driven under these conditions will be more.

Many factors can affect a customer's concern with oil consumption. Driving habits and vehicle maintenance vary from owner to owner. Thoroughly evaluate each case before deciding whether the vehicle in question has abnormal engine oil consumption.

JCBCTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS Base Manual Tran

Couple of posts up, some dude says to use the oil pressure gauge to judge when your car is low on oil....HOPEFULLY NO ONE IS ACTUALLY DOING THAT!!! If oil pressure is low due to oil level it is already too late! Damage is done and you better pull over on the spot to avoid doing further damage! Just check your oil level on the weekend or while your pumping gas...if its low on the stick add a quart at your next earliest convenience!
    like2drive likes this.

microfuture is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS 3.6 LY7

I've had vehicles where minor changes in oil pressure did correlate with oil level. But I agree with JCBCTS this does
    not appear to be reliable indicator for CTS. Read through enough older posts and you'll see many cases where a
    low oil level did not apparently light the CEL or throw a code (...possibly until too late and throws a P0008). I speculate
    the oil pressure sensor/pickup location detects full oil pressure even in a low oil situation. Interestingly my wife has a new Subaru which has both oil pressure and oil level sensors (manual notes the latter can be temporarily spoofed by ex: steep incline, continuous turning, etc).

As for the 'special coverage' issue I've always found it odd the way the decision about coverage for a specific vehicle seems made in a rather non-transparent and ad-hoc manner. One can't help but speculate about this in ways that might reflect poorly on GM and Cadillac. Given the ex:10 pages of just this thread, GM might reconsider whether complete explanation & disclosure of decision criteria wouldn't be the best course.

6. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.