08 CTS Air Conditioning Recharge at 68K Miles?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 08 CTS Air Conditioning Recharge at 68K Miles? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I'm new to this forum, so bear with me while I get used to this site. I recently acquired a ...
    Average-Joe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

08 CTS Air Conditioning Recharge at 68K Miles?

I'm new to this forum, so bear with me while I get used to this site. I recently acquired a used 08 CTS. It's has the 3.6L DI engine. It's got 68K miles on it and I am having problems with the air conditioning. The fan works, but the air is not cold at all. I took it to a Cadillac dealer. They did not find any leaks, but the coolant was low. They recharged it, put some dye in it to check for leaks, and said I could bring it in after 500-700 miles for a courtesy check to see if anything is leaking after the dye has had a chance to run through the system for a while. My question is; has anyone else had problems with their air conditioning on a vehicle with low miles like this. I've never had an issue like this on a vehicle with under 100K miles.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

Re: 08 CTS Air Conditioning Recharge at 68K Miles?

Average Joe,

Great handle! Welcome to the forum.

AC units need exercise to keep the seals oiled and in good condition. What model of CTS do your have? Is your heat/ac automatically controlled? If not, after you get it repaired, make sure you run your AC at least once a month to keep the seals wet.

Your car is 5 years old, and doesn't use freon (outlawed now) and the new stuff (134) will leak past the seals easier than freon would. So it may just be time to re-charge it. It's actually easy to do yourself if you feel up to it. Costs about $35-40 unless there is a real problem in the system.

Marv

Average-Joe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

Thanks Marv. The heat/ac is not automatically controlled on my vehicle. I'll make sure to keep the AC running for a while to keep the seals wet. I've added a can of 134 to other vehicles I've owned in the past myself. However, I took my CTS into the dealer this time because I thought it was odd that there were problems with it at only 68K miles. I figured if the problem was something more than just recharging the coolant, I would push the dealer to pick up the tab since the vehicle is not that far past its warranty.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Welcome to the forum, Average-Joe.

We're glad that your dealership has been taking good care of you regarding this HVAC issue. Looking forward to an update after a few hundred miles and your courtesy check at the dealership!

Sarah (Assisting Laura)
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.