Front Wheel Bearing - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree1Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Front Wheel Bearing in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by CTS4MATION Just an update. Got the wheel bearing in today, boy is it nice to drive and ...
    jhschlak is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS 3.6 DI

Re: Front Wheel Bearing

Quote Originally Posted by CTS4MATION View Post
    Just an update. Got the wheel bearing in today, boy is it nice to drive and have the capability to talk to the person sitting next to you haha.

The hub assembly was cake to put on. The only problem I ran into was getting the old hub off. I beat my brains out for 2 hours with 2 hammers swingin to get it off. Good lord was that thing seized on. When it finally did come off I spent about 45 minutes scrapping out tons of road grime which most of it was OLD salt that caked together and formed a cement like seal around it.

Other than that it was simple.
    So you bought the Timken Hub from amazon then? Were the bolts seized or was it the hub itself that was seized after you took them off? I wonder if there is any type of puller that could be rented from an autostore to help with this?
    Thanks,
    Jeff

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

You can use a puller on the rear, the front since you aren't AWD is just 3 bolts

Tri-SS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2010 CTS 3.6DI FE3, 2011 CTS-V

Left rear wheel bearing went bad on my '10 RWD this week at 42,000 miles. Dealer is changing it today under warranty. Should both sides be changed as a rule or is one ok?

CTS4MATION is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS4

Quote Originally Posted by jhschlak View Post
    So you bought the Timken Hub from amazon then? Were the bolts seized or was it the hub itself that was seized after you took them off? I wonder if there is any type of puller that could be rented from an autostore to help with this?
    Thanks,
    Jeff
    Yea I bought the timken.... The bolts came right out with no problem. It took me I'd say 20 minutes from putting the car in the garage to "ok im ready to yank the hub out". The hub was stuck big time, but nothing a BFH couldnt fix..... well in this case 2. HAHA yea a puller would have been nice for this! I finally have a garage built so now Im in tool buying mode...... pullers and a slide hammer are top on the must have list!

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-SS View Post
    Left rear wheel bearing went bad on my '10 RWD this week at 42,000 miles. Dealer is changing it today under warranty. Should both sides be changed as a rule or is one ok?
    Really!?..... darn coulda got mine for free, ohh well. Im just tired of taking off work to go to the shop..... If you want warranty work, they're only going to give you 1 for free unless the other is bad. As a rule of thumb most would say "if its not broke dont fix it".

Xtant12 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS-AWD DI

FYI'S

The bolt to get the hub nut off is a 36MM

I use a long truck prybar between to of the studs and the ground to prevent the hub from moving.

Also for the three 13MM bolts in the back its works out best if you turn the wheel to get them out.

Just a few things I learned today!!

jhschlak is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS 3.6 DI

Hey guys,
    Do you know if GM used loc-tite on any of the hub bolts? My buddy is telling me I will need to use heat
    to get them off. I have never applied heat to any bolts for fear of ruining something!

Xtant12 can you describe this in more detail if possible: I use a long truck prybar between to of the studs and the ground to prevent the hub from moving.

I can't seem to visualize how you locked the hub down to prevent from moving.
    Thanks!
    Jeff

99flhr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS

^ He`s telling you to put the prybar parallel against the hub with one end on the ground, when you rotate the hub nut, the hub will turn only until the wheel studs jamb against the bar. Hub stops turning, nut comes off

Visualize a yard stick placed flat across the face of a wall clock ( the #`s are the studs) The stick crosses the face diagonally under 8 & 2.
    When you spin the face CCW, the bar hits 8 and 3

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.