Bought a used 2011 CTS AWD - Extended Warranty Question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Bought a used 2011 CTS AWD - Extended Warranty Question in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; First and foremost, it's great to now be part of the Cadillac community! Just purchased my first car, a black ...
    11CTSLUX is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Luxury

Bought a used 2011 CTS AWD - Extended Warranty Question

First and foremost, it's great to now be part of the Cadillac community! Just purchased my first car, a black 2011 CTS AWD 3.0 Luxury. I bought it used with 48,800 miles on it. Seems to be in great condition. Quite a few miles for a 2 yr old car, but the gentleman before me used it primarily for highway commute. Garage kept. Its in great physical condition.

I did take it in to be looked over before the manufacturers bumper to bumper warranty runs out at 50k. The local Cadillac dealership, Crest Cadillac in Dallas, says everything was in great condition except they had to drain/replace fluid in the transfer case because I noticed some slight chattering when making sharp turns. After this, I am not noticing the chatter any longer. Seems to be good to go.

I bought the car used at a Toyota dealership. First time buying, I think I was dumb in my decision to purchase an extended warranty through Toyota. I purchased a 3yr/36,000 mile Gold Plan extended warranty with Roadside Assistance. And the finance guy threw in free Tire and Wheel coverage for the same length. I paid $2,495 for the extended warranty. Didnt know this was such a bad deal at first. However after reading online seems like it might be too much.

Did I get owned? Let the ripping begin....be easy on me!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Citabria is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS
    Congrats on the new car! I suggest shopping around on line for better warranty coverage. I think you can cancel the one you have now. Try Blacks Cadillac or Greg Bell Chevrolet. I paid that for a GMPP major guard for 7 years from in service date and 72000 additional miles I've been told by the service writers GMPP is the best. Take my advice for what it's worth....free!

Re: Bought a used 2011 CTS AWD - Extended Warranty Question

Quote Originally Posted by Citabria View Post
    Congrats on the new car! I suggest shopping around on line for better warranty coverage. I think you can cancel the one you have now. Try Blacks Cadillac or Greg Bell Chevrolet. I paid that for a GMPP major guard for 7 years from in service date and 72000 additional miles I've been told by the service writers GMPP is the best. Take my advice for what it's worth....free!
    Hey! I truly appreciate the help. I will definitely look into those options you provided. Do you happen to know if there is a specific mileage amount I have to be under to still purchase an extended warranty? Or can I purchase one at any time during the ownership of the car?

Citabria is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS
    Quote Originally Posted by 11CTSLUX

Hey! I truly appreciate the help. I will definitely look into those options you provided. Do you happen to know if there is a specific mileage amount I have to be under to still purchase an extended warranty? Or can I purchase one at any time during the ownership of the car?
    Yes. Still in factory warranty, which you are. There is different pricing based on existing mileage. With that said I only had 35 k when I bought mine as there was a bump in price after 36k. So who knows your price might be fair.

steelpony5555 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 Cadillac CTS Vanilla Latte

To get the GM plan the car has to be still under factory warranty. I too just bought a 2010 CTS used and the dealer tried to get me to buy the ext war there..was really high pressure. Glad I said no cause the GM plan is a lot cheaper but it is just like the factory warranty with all the perks that come with the factory bumper to bumper. Greg Bell seems to be one of the cheapest. I am letting my factory warranty run down to almost the end and then I'm buying the GM plan.

Thanks a ton for the replies above. I guess Ill just have to price around some of the options you guys mentioned above. But Ill have to move fast as my factory bumper to bumper runs out in another 800 miles, haha. Im just wondering what should be a fair price range I should be trying to find a plan within. The $2,500 I paid seems a bit high compared to other coverages Im seeing others get. But they obviously have different variables at work (diff. Car, diff. Mileage, etc.)

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!
    [QUOTE
    I bought the car used at a Toyota dealership. First time buying, I think I was dumb in my decision to purchase an extended warranty through Toyota. I purchased a 3yr/36,000 mile Gold Plan extended warranty with Roadside Assistance. And the finance guy threw in free Tire and Wheel coverage for the same length. I paid $2,495 for the extended warranty. Didnt know this was such a bad deal at first. However after reading online seems like it might be too much.

Did I get owned? Let the ripping begin....be easy on me![/QUOTE]

Congrats and Welcome to the Cadillac Family! It looks like you've already been given some great advice on extended and aftermarket warranties. We can also answer any additional questions you may have. If you're interested, please feel free to private message us your VIN.

Cheers

Amber N. (assisting Laura)
    Cadillac Customer Care

MaxBuck is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 DI Blue Diamond

Quote Originally Posted by 11CTSLUX View Post
    I purchased a 3yr/36,000 mile Gold Plan extended warranty with Roadside Assistance. And the finance guy threw in free Tire and Wheel coverage for the same length. I paid $2,495 for the extended warranty.
    I purchased my CTS at a Ford dealership, and got a warranty that takes me to 100k miles for about half what you paid. First call for warranty repairs needs to be to the local Ford/Lincoln dealer, but they'll haul it to Cadillac if needed. Deductible is 50 bucks.

Can't speak for your market, but around my area the Toyota dealers are the oiliest pack of weasels you'd ever hope (not) to find. They seem to take special joy in hosing the customer.

HurstGN is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony

If you go the GMPP route, the car must be under factory warranty, and the day you buy the new warranty, the factory warranty is over and the GMPP takes over. It does not add on to the end of the factory warranty. That's why the price goes up at the later stages of the purchase cycle. I found the best part was I get the same service I have before, but I have a $100 deductable if I need a repair. I'm OK with that.

Scott2012 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V & 2010 AWD CTS

I bought mine from a Kia dealer- LOL they wanted to sell me a $2600 warranty.
    I'm just not a big believer in ext warranties

Thanks so much for the replies.

Do places like Toyota who provide extended warranties like I have, usually fuss about anything you take your car in for? For example, I take my car to a Cadillac dealership to have work done, and Toyota said theyd foot the bill if something is covered under the bumper to bumper warranty. Is there a good chance Toyota fights me on everything and tries not to cover things?

And I probably should have mentioned my deductible is $0. I apologize for leaving that info out.

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

I've had huge headaches with any warranty other than GMPP.

Quote Originally Posted by steelpony5555 View Post
    To get the GM plan the car has to be still under factory warranty. I too just bought a 2010 CTS used and the dealer tried to get me to buy the ext war there..was really high pressure. Glad I said no cause the GM plan is a lot cheaper but it is just like the factory warranty with all the perks that come with the factory bumper to bumper. Greg Bell seems to be one of the cheapest. I am letting my factory warranty run down to almost the end and then I'm buying the GM plan.
    With this bought through Greg Bell - I just take my car up to Cadillac dealership, tell them what warranty I have on it, and they'll take care of it all? And with this Greg Bell warranty, they will be more lenient on covering things, rather than the Toyota Warranty I currently have but plan to cancel? Sorry if this sounds extremely noobish.

SSX
    SSX is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS Coupe

I guess I don't understand why people buy these "warranties" at all. You're betting that you'll have problems and the warranty company is betting that you won't. They base their decision to sell a warranty on hard data that indicates that they will make money. You base your buy decision on no real data at all. If there is no problem, you've given away a lot of money. If you do have problems, unless they are major, the cost of the warranty will easily cover the repair costs. You can bet that the warranty company will do their best to deny claims if they even stay in business long enough to fulfill the entire warranty period. This just seems like a losing proposition all the way around.

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

The confusion here is about 'generic' warranties and General Motors backed GMPP warranty. GMPP is an excellent 'insurance policy warranty'. All of the other generic aftermarket warranties are questionable!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.