Installing new maps??
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Installing new maps?? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I got an eMail that said a new Map Disc was available for my 2012 CTS ($40 off). OK, I ...
    Gtwatson77459 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '12 CTS Premium Coupe

Question Installing new maps??

I got an eMail that said a new Map Disc was available for my 2012 CTS ($40 off). OK, I bought it ($160 plus tax) and it arrived yesterday. Package included a EULA and a Disc. Front of disc says "read the manual carefully". No manual in the package. OK, so how do I get a manual to read or what do I do with the Disc. I assume I just put it in the car and it should do the update, but I wanted to make sure. I put the disc in my computer and looked at the files but nothing on the disc looked like a manual.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

Re: Installing new maps??

Yes, just put the disc into the DVD player. The car will do the rest....

Jschmank is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 Silver CTS AWD

I think you have to put in a code to get it going. Mine was on the receipt that came with the disk

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

Prepare to take some time.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Gtwatson77459 View Post
    I got an eMail that said a new Map Disc was available for my 2012 CTS ($40 off). OK, I bought it ($160 plus tax) and it arrived yesterday. Package included a EULA and a Disc. Front of disc says "read the manual carefully". No manual in the package. OK, so how do I get a manual to read or what do I do with the Disc. I assume I just put it in the car and it should do the update, but I wanted to make sure. I put the disc in my computer and looked at the files but nothing on the disc looked like a manual.
    Hello Gtwatson77459,

When updating the map disc there are multiple steps to follow: (1) Turn the ignition on (2) Press the power button to turn the system on (3) Insert the update disc partway into the slot, label side up. The player pulls it in (4) Update Confirmation screen displays with version information, then press Update (5) Enter the Authentication Code, then press Enter (6) If correct code is entered, the system reboots and starts updating, the status bar displays (7) The disc is automatically ejected after the map database update is completed. The system reboots.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you are able to update your disc without any trouble.

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

jghiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Sedan Lux Silver Coast

I wish the folks doing the NAV would either do a user manual or strike the description where it says there is one. There is no manual or instructions - just insert, enter the code and go. Make sure you select the DISC tab on the audio screen during the process to see progress. Install can be restarted as often as necessary. Just leave disc in drive and dont touch.
    p.s. It would be nice for the 'manual' to describe map details, dates, etc., as well as new features or fixes. Too much to ask unfortunately.

Thanks for the tips. I stumbled through the process and it took a while to do the first part. I am in the map update portion now and it takes a looooong time. I let it run for about 40 minutes and it was up to 25% and I turned it off. I drive about 15 minutes to the bus stop and about 30 minutes home (much heavier traffic) and I am now at 55%. I guess it will take another couple of trips to and from the bus to get the maps updated. I agree with jghiller, that a few instructions would be handy. If a manual is available, put a PDF on the disc and instruct us to put the disc in your PC and read or print the manual. At least put a few steps on the face of the disc to tell us we need the password. I had to leave the car running in my driveway and come in the house to get my invoice and locate the password.

HurstGN is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony

Even discounted, that $160 price tag is too much, and especially in light of the fact they cannot even give you decent instructions. Definitely NOT up to the Cadillac standard. You can tell Cadillac licensed that work out to a 3rd party, and are not following up with the users experience.

I think it goes to the mindset that "If they can afford a $50,000 Cadillac, they will pay $160 plus tax for a new map". Years ago my buddy had a pool, and his little plastic monster that sweeps the pool bottom needed a new plastic gear. He took it to the pool supply place and one gear, 8" in diameter and 1" thick was $50 plus labor to install it (in the 1980's). The pool supply guy said, well that is the price to have a clean pool. I did get the new map installed and it is better for me than the old map. I live in a new subdivision that was dedicated in 2009 with brand new streets. Before then it was an open field. My original map did not have my street on it so I could never navigate home to my address. This new map has my house on it but the rest of my subdivision is still missing. I guess I will pay another $160 next year to get more of my streets. For anyone reading this thread, just put the disc in the CD slot and follow the instructions. Have the paperwork handy that has the password. I guess the password is used to keep people from making copies of their disc and sharing it with friends. Also be prepared for the update to take several hours spread out over several days if you take short trips in the car. BTW, how do you get a new paragraph in this editor. I hit the CR/Enter key and nothing happens.

Mistercoffee2 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    Prepare to take some time.
    And the motor has to be running. It's like upgrading a laptop, you have to plug it into ac power. Cannot risk a dead battery during upgrade.

Z71
    Z71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD Performance Sedan

I did mine all at one time, 2 hrs+ (tells you when you start how long it will take, manual explains more) more and I did not run the motor. No dead battery. If you are worried about that just be sure to do it after you have driven the car so the battery is at full capacity, not after the car sat for a week say.

Note - Depending on model year there could be additional updates to radio as well as map data. My '09 had 2 radio software updates to process before map data updates. Never was updated prior.

Front of disc says "read the manual carefully". No manual in the package. OK, so how do I get a manual to read or what do I do with the Disc.
    You are going to kick yourself. The manual they are referring to is the Navigation System Manual that came with the car. Look in the glove comparment.

In that case, it would have been nice for the new disc to say "Read the manual for the Nav System that came with your car. If you no longer have the manual, call 1-800-IWANTMYMANUAL and a new manual will be mailed to you at no charge. We at Cadillac want our customers to be informed and tell all their friends about the excellent Cadillac Owner's Experience".

Mistercoffee2 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Z71;10658345]I did mine all at one time, 2 hrs+ (tells you when you start how long it will take, manual explains more) more and I did not run the motor. No dead battery. /QUOTE]

You are correct. It will restart if power is lost. I must have taken this literally. It should say Ignition.

cadillacricket is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Gtwatson77459 View Post
    In that case, it would have been nice for the new disc to say "Read the manual for the Nav System that came with your car. If you no longer have the manual, call 1-800-IWANTMYMANUAL and a new manual will be mailed to you at no charge. We at Cadillac want our customers to be informed and tell all their friends about the excellent Cadillac Owner's Experience".
    lol, right...

Manuals are available for your car online at Cadillac.com and I would think this third party company is correct in assuming that a Cadillac owner is smart enough to know which manual they are referring to when discussing upgrading the nav system on your automobile (lo and behold, the manual for said nav system)

lol
    MoFex likes this.

blankster is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Premium AWD 3.6 DI (Sold)

I think there is a bit if firmware change on this disk. My weather now displays much faster in maybe 3 to 10 minutes as opposed to the 30 to 40 minutes before.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.