Installing new maps?? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree5Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Installing new maps?? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by Gtwatson77459 I think it goes to the mindset that "If they can afford a $50,000 Cadillac, they ...
    HurstGN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony

Re: Installing new maps??

Quote Originally Posted by Gtwatson77459 View Post
    I think it goes to the mindset that "If they can afford a $50,000 Cadillac, they will pay $160 plus tax for a new map".
    <* cheap old guy on his soapbox, so skip if you don't want to hear about 5 cent ice cream and walking uphill to school yada yada yada *>

And that's the rub. I bought mine used. Many folks buy them used. The mindset that a part is more expensive just because of what car it's installed on is ... well ... disgusting. It costs less than $5 to make the DVD, even if you hire an intern to sit and burn them one at a time. I know they want to make a profit, and I don't deny them their livelihood, but Garmin makes a decent profit and they provide the device AND lifetime updates for less than the update disc alone. I believe it is a bit more than how much you paid for the car originally, it's the fact that they have you by the um-um's and know you will buy their update, or have no update at all. Since the system has not been embraced by those with computer skills to unlock the software...we're at the mercy of these folks on the price of a map.

We used to own a 1998 Olds Bravada. We had to replace the rear rotors. They were a small fortune to replace because they were a combination drum and disc brake setup. Disc for normal stopping, drum for the parking brake. When we looked into why they were so expensive, the answer was clear. It wasn't because they were an exotic metal material, nor the fact they didn't have enough vehicle sales to justify making the part. It was because this rear rotor was also used on the Cadillac XLR. And since the guy that bought the Cadillac can afford whatever the XLR ran new, they charge the price they thought the Cadillac owner could afford. The problem was the Olds owner that was trying to keep a 13 year old vehicle on the road with duct tape and bailing wire...that owner got screwed.

It all comes down to what the market will bear. And currently, folks are paying for the upgrade. Me, much as I'd love to have the upgrade, I just can't bring my old self to pay that kind of money for the map. So, when the map shows me going off-road daily and riding over railroad tacks (a new road was put under railroad tracks that were on a hill), I will drive through the uncharted part of the map. I'm cheap, I know it. I will spend money on what I believe is worth it. I bought the CTS, didn't I? Well, I just don't believe the map is worth that much money. Make it $25-$30 and I'll buy the upgrade. Till then, I'll just off-road it daily. I have a CTS4, the all wheel drive works great on that bit of off-roading I do.
    RAB, elo_mcfeelo and Tbbt like this.

Gtwatson77459 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '12 CTS Premium Coupe

Many years ago a friend that worked at an auto parts store told me the cigarette lighter element (you know it was long ago when all cars had one and it was for lighting up and not charging a cell phone or powering your radar detector) for a Cadillac cost quite a bit more than the one for a Chevy although it was the same diameter and length. I can only chalk it up to the original premise that the more expensive car's parts are more costly for the same part. I still cannot figure out why I cannot get a new paragraph in this advanced reply box. I keep hitting the "Enter" key but nothing happens.

HurstGN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by Gtwatson77459 View Post
    Many years ago a friend that worked at an auto parts store told me the cigarette lighter element (you know it was long ago when all cars had one and it was for lighting up and not charging a cell phone or powering your radar detector) for a Cadillac cost quite a bit more than the one for a Chevy although it was the same diameter and length. I can only chalk it up to the original premise that the more expensive car's parts are more costly for the same part. I still cannot figure out why I cannot get a new paragraph in this advanced reply box. I keep hitting the "Enter" key but nothing happens.
    Because
    you
    didn't
    buy
    the
    premium
    package
    with
    carriage
    return

I'd
    ask
    the
    dealer
    if
    you
    can
    return
    your
    enter
    key
    under
    warranty

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Jeezus, brought tears to my effin eyes!!!!!

Gtwatson77459 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '12 CTS Premium Coupe

It's a wireless Keyboard. Maybe the Enter does not transmit. I just hit the Enter key 7 times just now in the Quick Reply box and no new paragraph, and it's driving me nuts. Other forums work fine. It is just this Cadillac forum, and it used to work. OK, I'm switching to the Advanced mode and will try again.

OMG, I hit the upper left button for the Editor Source mode and the Carriage Return now works
    it
    should.

When the button is in WYSIWYG mode the C/R does not work (for me anyway). Now if only the new maps were cheaper (or free), my life would be complete.

Maybe this deserves a new topic, but I did not renew my SiriusXM after it lapsed and they keep sending me offers for $25 for 6 months. I don't listen to the XM much but it did warn me of some bad traffic over the speaker when it was active. If I do renew, will the traffic warnings start up again?
    HurstGN likes this.

Xtant12 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS-AWD DI

You know whats crazy, I literally just updated mine and it was 120.00 but I did not get a disc. The dealer did all the updates online and that was about it.. Where do you guys get these disc at to update???

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Quote Originally Posted by Xtant12 View Post
    You know whats crazy, I literally just updated mine and it was 120.00 but I did not get a disc. The dealer did all the updates online and that was about it.. Where do you guys get these disc at to update???
    Huh?

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Hello Xtant12,

I wanted to chime in and provide you with some information in regards to the map discs. They can be installed and updated at your local dealer. You are able to order a disc by contacting the GM Nav Disc Center or order a new disc online. The phone number is 1-877-628-3472 or the site to visit is www.gmnavdisc.com. I hope this helps. If you have additional concerns or questions, please reach out to us via private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Xtant12 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS-AWD DI

Ok Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Hello Xtant12,

I wanted to chime in and provide you with some information in regards to the map discs. They can be installed and updated at your local dealer. You are able to order a disc by contacting the GM Nav Disc Center or order a new disc online. The phone number is 1-877-628-3472 or the site to visit is www.gmnavdisc.com. I hope this helps. If you have additional concerns or questions, please reach out to us via private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Ok Thank you!!
    Hi Xtant12,

You are very welcome!

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.