Disable TPMS - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Disable TPMS in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by mcneill8328 Your tires lose a pound every week? That sounds like a problem to me. Sloppy writing ...
    The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

Re: Disable TPMS

Quote Originally Posted by mcneill8328 View Post
    Your tires lose a pound every week? That sounds like a problem to me.
    Sloppy writing -- should have said "loses a pound every few weeks." Not a problem, just pretty much normal in my experience.

MattM23 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS 3.6 DI

my TPMS system seems to be off from my actual readings from a tire pressure gauge any suggestions?

What sort of pressure gauge do you have? Cheapies are notoriously "approximate."

Consider one of these: http://www.getagauge.com/

MattM23 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS 3.6 DI

yea I use cheapies lol

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

Quote Originally Posted by The_Judge View Post
    What sort of pressure gauge do you have? Cheapies are notoriously "approximate."

Consider one of these: http://www.getagauge.com/
    They are the OEM for some of the Snap On Tools tire gauges

hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 base CTS Sportwagon

I have 3 or 4 cheap gauges, with a spread of 5 psi between them. As long as all 4 wheels come out the same and near 40 psi, I'm happy.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

40 psi is too high.

Well... I have always liked a car to ride hard, and I enjoy the slight added response and mileage, so I set them at about 90% of max pressure.

Half a century ago, when I drag raced, I liked to say: Put a dime in the street. I'll run over it and tell you whether it's heads or tails.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

that will wear out the center tread faster then the outer tread though
    and you're losing tread contact with the road (less traction overall)

Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    40 psi is too high.
    Agreed, at least if that's measured when the tires are cold (i.e., they haven't been on the road for several hours, preferably overnight when the pressure is taken). I've found that when driving on the freeway at 70 MPH in normal daytime temperatures, the tire pressure will increase by 5 to 6 psi. If you start at 40, that means you'll be riding on 45 to 46 psi, which is way too high. And as pointed out by Rippy, it will cause the tires to wear unevenly, eventually causing a real safety problem.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

As well as the fact when you are traveling at speed, your tires increase pressure. Depending on your tire, and maybe where it was manufactured (re: China or some other stinking third world country that has no standards), the maximum pressure for your tire may be exceeded. Blowout time.

Mistercoffee2 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

I guess the OP has the answer to his question so I will just ask if anyone is using Nitrogen in their tires and how is it working out. I have read that it solves the problem of pressure loss due to seepage through the rubber.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

i have been using nitrogen in my car for almost two years now and the only time i had to add air was when i had a nail in my tire
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

In my opinion, filling your tires with nitrogen is the automotive version of gluten-free food -- good in theory, perhaps, but a waste of money for most people. Or at least that's pretty much the conclusion of Edmunds:

Is Nitrogen Worth It?

The air we breathe is made up of 78 percent nitrogen, 21 percent oxygen and a few other elements. To get the desired benefits for tires, nitrogen needs to be at least 93 percent pure, according to nitrogen service equipment providers quoted on Tirerack.com. So we're basically talking about adding an extra 15 percent of nitrogen and getting rid of as much oxygen as possible. Based on cost, convenience and actual performance benefit, we don't think nitrogen is worth it. A much better use of your money would be to buy a good tire-pressure gauge and check your tires frequently. This is a good idea even if you have a tire-pressure monitoring system in your vehicle. The warning lights aren't required to come on until you have less than 25 percent of the recommended tire pressure. Having the correct tire pressure will get you many of the benefits of using nitrogen and will ensure that your tires last longer.

Here's the link to the full article: http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/shou...-nitrogen.html

----------

TireRack.com comes to the same conclusion:

So what should drivers do?

Overall, inflating tires with nitrogen won't hurt them and may provide some minimal benefits.

Is it worth it? If you go someplace that provides free nitrogen with new tires, why not? Additionally we’ve seen some service providers offering reasonable prices of about $5 per tire (including periodic adjustments for the life of the tire) to a less reasonable $10 per tire (with additional costs for subsequent pressure adjustments) or more as part of a service contract, which we believe exceeds the value of nitrogen’s benefit.

Rather than pay extra for nitrogen, most drivers would be better off buying an accurate tire pressure gauge and checking and adjusting their tire pressures regularly.

Here's the link:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=191
    tinman, RAB and Tbbt like this.

Thanks, guys, for your concern. I understand the standard philosophy and reasons for running close to recommended pressure, and I appreciate all the advice. I do monitor the tires constantly. With tpms in my last 3 cars, I can monitor as I cruise on the highway.

I usually push my car hard on corners and expressway ramps, so having the center of the tires wear out first hasn't ever happened to me. Since I'm getting older, maybe I should slow it down a little and soften the ride on my arthritic butt. We'll see if I can control myself.

PS The tire profile on the diagram looks like pre-radial, maybe even pre-glass-belt.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.