Engine oil change - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Engine oil change in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by MaxBuck Interesting that there are no Amsoil nor Royal Purple products listed on the dexos website. I ...
    Z71
    Z71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD Performance Sedan

Re: Engine oil change

Quote Originally Posted by MaxBuck View Post
    Interesting that there are no Amsoil nor Royal Purple products listed on the dexos website. I sincerely doubt that many of the lubricants on that list will perform as well as either of those full-synthetic labels.

I think this Dexos thing is likely more of a licensing money-maker for GM than anything else, though I'm sure it weeds out some real lousy stuff.
    GM (and its dealers) only recommend what makes them money. Nothing wrong with that as thats thier agenda, to drive more business to the service department. Its just some dealers are not too ethical in how they go about trying to earn your business.

AMSOIL response....

Do 2011+ GMvehicle owners have to use a dexos-licensed product?”

No. You can use any product that meets dexos specifications. They are not required to use a GM-licensed product. GM has chosen to grant licenses only to companies that pay them a substantial fee. Some oil companies have chosen to make aproduct that meets the same standards as a licensed product without adding an unnecessary administrative cost to the product that consumers would be forced to pay. So long as the oil manufacturer warrants that the motor oil meets dexos specifications, it’s acceptable to use it. AMSOIL warrants its products meet the dexos specifications.

The FTC recently issued a consumer alert to remind consumers that the automaker or dealer must prove a given product caused the need for repairs rather than denying warranty coverage on the basis of the product simply being used.

It is also worth noting that GM itself has acknowledged alternative engine oils may be used. Owner’s manuals for 2011+GM trucks state:

“This vehicle was filled at the factory with dexosapproved engine oil. Notice: Use only engine oil that is approved to the dexos specification or an equivalent engine oil of the appropriate viscositygrade. Engine oils approved to the dexos specification will show the dexos symbol on the container. Failure to use the recommended engine oil or equivalent can result in engine damage not covered by the vehicle warranty. If you are unsure whether the oil is approved to the dexos specification, ask your service provider.

Use of Substitute Engine Oils if dexos is unavailable: In the event that dexos
    approved engine oil is not available at an oil changeor for maintaining proper oil level, you may use substitute engine oil displaying the API Starburst symbol and of SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade.”

AMSOIL AZO, ASL, XLF, OEF all meet the dexos specification but AMSOIL has chosen NOT to pay GM to license them. It also worth noting that AMSOIL is not the only oil company who has chosen not to license dexos oils, Valvoline and Castrol also do not.

Here is a page from my 2012 Sierra Denali Owners manual..

Ramv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    I can't imagine any oil makes that much difference. I used to run very specific oil now its just quality changed as per GM recommendation intervals. 142k on my big block suggests that's adequate.

akamai43 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS Black diamond tricoat on Black 3.6
    I've used Royal Purple for years and never had any issues with any of my cars or truck. Now that I don't do the oil change in my CTS, I have the dealer use their Dexos oil. If I should go back to doing it myself again, I will use RP.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

why do Royal Purple and AMSOIL cost so much yet other Dexos oils cost so little?

yet RP and AMSOIL complain about the licensing fee for Dexos...
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, new engine Nov '13 @ 44Kmi.

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    why do Royal Purple and AMSOIL cost so much yet other Dexos oils cost so little?
    Just a guess . . . don’t know about RP, but AMSOIL operates a relatively low-volume high-cost direct-dealer/consumer pyramid distribution model; kinda like Herbalife, Amway, et al.
    99flhr likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.